HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Reply
Thread Tools
Old Oct 13, 2012, 10:11 PM
Registered User
Joined Oct 2012
17 Posts
I don't understand why there is no instruction in the manual on how to mount the 3 blade prop especially for an aircraft where the motor is facing aft and not fwd.

Correct me if I am wrong ....

Mount the prop with the GWS label facing the nose.

Or mounting of the prop does not matter just swap two legs of the motor to change rotation direction.
Neewbie is offline Find More Posts by Neewbie
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 13, 2012, 10:23 PM
Nakelp
nakelp86's Avatar
United States, NJ, Union
Joined Sep 2004
6,794 Posts
U dont need instruction just look at the blades.
Yes, lettering is facing nose of the plane, but you more likely will switch to two blade soon :-)
nakelp86 is offline Find More Posts by nakelp86
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 13, 2012, 11:31 PM
Registered User
Joined Oct 2012
17 Posts
When installing the carbon rod or in my case I opt for the flat carbon strip on the horiz stab, does it matter whether it goes near the leading edge or trailing edge.
Neewbie is offline Find More Posts by Neewbie
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 13, 2012, 11:34 PM
Registered User
Joined Oct 2012
17 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nakelp86 View Post
U dont need instruction just look at the blades.
Yes, lettering is facing nose of the plane, but you more likely will switch to two blade soon :-)
So what brand, size or part number of prop would I use if I decide to change it from a 3 blade to a 2 blade. Using the M2220 motor stock.
Neewbie is offline Find More Posts by Neewbie
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 13, 2012, 11:35 PM
McCleary.11's Avatar
United States, OH, Delaware
Joined Mar 2006
764 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neewbie View Post
When installing the carbon rod or in my case I opt for the flat carbon strip on the horiz stab, does it matter whether it goes near the leading edge or trailing edge.
No, it doesn't really matter. Just make sure it is long enough. I would also use tape or covering on the leading edge.
McCleary.11 is online now Find More Posts by McCleary.11
Site Sponsor
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 14, 2012, 06:11 AM
Registered User
United States, OH, Powell
Joined Sep 2012
487 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neewbie View Post
So what brand, size or part number of prop would I use if I decide to change it from a 3 blade to a 2 blade. Using the M2220 motor stock.
APC 9x6 seems to be the concensus, about 2.50 direct from APC
fpvbasher is offline Find More Posts by fpvbasher
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 14, 2012, 08:48 AM
Launch the drones ...
Ashtabula, OH USA
Joined May 1999
3,115 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neewbie View Post
When installing the carbon rod or in my case I opt for the flat carbon strip on the horiz stab, does it matter whether it goes near the leading edge or trailing edge.
I installed mine to the leading edge, after cutting out a small notch in the leading edge for it to sit in. Yes - my carbon fiber rod is the leading edge of my horizontal stabilizer. Seemed easier to do it that way.
Tim Green is online now Find More Posts by Tim Green
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 14, 2012, 09:19 AM
Registered User
milwaukee wi usa
Joined Nov 2000
202 Posts
hello gang
im making slow but steady progress and mounting the flight camera is next on the list. my question is: does anyone have experience with your camera placed within the clear canopy? eyeballing through it sure seems your view would have a major case of distortion/glare. (i have yet to crank up the vid for a trial run).
thx much
rbt in mke!
rbtgold is offline Find More Posts by rbtgold
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 14, 2012, 09:55 AM
McCleary.11's Avatar
United States, OH, Delaware
Joined Mar 2006
764 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbtgold View Post
hello gang
im making slow but steady progress and mounting the flight camera is next on the list. my question is: does anyone have experience with your camera placed within the clear canopy? eyeballing through it sure seems your view would have a major case of distortion/glare. (i have yet to crank up the vid for a trial run).
thx much
rbt in mke!
Yep, my first 3 videos were all taken with the canopy on.
McCleary.11 is online now Find More Posts by McCleary.11
Site Sponsor
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 14, 2012, 09:55 AM
Registered User
Joined Feb 2007
2,084 Posts
So, about the washers for the motor mount. Could it be that it needs to be on top if the prop turns one way but then put on bottom if their prop spins the other direction? I can't remember my physics anymore but maybe the direction of the torque changes depending on the spin of the prop?
healthyfatboy is offline Find More Posts by healthyfatboy
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 14, 2012, 10:01 AM
McCleary.11's Avatar
United States, OH, Delaware
Joined Mar 2006
764 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by healthyfatboy View Post
So, about the washers for the motor mount. Could it be that it needs to be on top if the prop turns one way but then put on bottom if their prop spins the other direction? I can't remember my physics anymore but maybe the direction of the torque changes depending on the spin of the prop?
That's a good point. When changing props, I have had to switch the motor direction, but I didn't notice anything different in the air.
McCleary.11 is online now Find More Posts by McCleary.11
Site Sponsor
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 14, 2012, 11:10 AM
Registered User
rsowder's Avatar
San Francisco
Joined May 2009
1,100 Posts
Penguin Maiden

I maidened mine this week. It flew great. No trim needed. I flew it FPV on the maiden flight. Took it out about 1.5 miles and tested the RTH. Worked perfect. I had the 3 blade prop on it and I think that made it a little underpowered. So, I'm going to try a 2 blade 9x6 APC tomorrow.

Now I just need to get some paint on it. Oh, and I did a couple mods. I replaced the spar screws with pins. Much quicker and easier to install the wings. And I replaced the canopy screws with magnets. Those screws were a pain to deal with.

Here a short video of the flight:

Penguin Maiden (2 min 45 sec)
rsowder is offline Find More Posts by rsowder
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 14, 2012, 12:43 PM
KK4NOP
Mike Freas's Avatar
United States, VA, Virginia Beach
Joined Aug 2005
3,396 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rsowder View Post
I maidened mine this week. It flew great. No trim needed. I flew it FPV on the maiden flight. Took it out about 1.5 miles and tested the RTH. Worked perfect. I had the 3 blade prop on it and I think that made it a little underpowered. So, I'm going to try a 2 blade 9x6 APC tomorrow.

Now I just need to get some paint on it. Oh, and I did a couple mods. I replaced the spar screws with pins. Much quicker and easier to install the wings. And I replaced the canopy screws with magnets. Those screws were a pain to deal with.

Here a short video of the flight:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=JeBm3bGZ2MM
Can you provide info on your FPV setup?
Mike Freas is online now Find More Posts by Mike Freas
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Pan/Tilt servo mods
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 14, 2012, 12:57 PM
Registered User
United States, CA, Sebastopol
Joined Dec 2010
8,042 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rsowder View Post
I maidened mine this week. It flew great. No trim needed. I flew it FPV on the maiden flight. Took it out about 1.5 miles and tested the RTH. Worked perfect. I had the 3 blade prop on it and I think that made it a little underpowered. So, I'm going to try a 2 blade 9x6 APC tomorrow.

Now I just need to get some paint on it. Oh, and I did a couple mods. I replaced the spar screws with pins. Much quicker and easier to install the wings. And I replaced the canopy screws with magnets. Those screws were a pain to deal with.

Here a short video of the flight:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=JeBm3bGZ2MM
That looks like a very nice, uneventful flight! Is that shot from within the canopy or did you remove the clear plastic covering?
erkq is offline Find More Posts by erkq
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 14, 2012, 06:00 PM
Will it ever Fly?
Flybynight2's Avatar
United States, SD, Platte
Joined Nov 2011
422 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nakelp86 View Post
Yeah, for 2815 you have two thicker washers (little wooden circles )
Were are these washers suppost to be?
The only washer that I had found was in the sack, and placed at the back of the plane during assembly.
I have had the motor out and I have not seen any wooden washers there.
THX in advance.
Flybynight2 is offline Find More Posts by Flybynight2
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Discussion fmkit's ULink (review/discussion/etc) CrashMeUp FPV Talk 112 Apr 07, 2013 06:34 PM
Discussion general engine discussion thread cale10 Engines 273 Nov 13, 2012 02:22 PM
Spektrum DX7 technology discussion (moved from review thread) Chipwillis Radios 62 Jan 17, 2007 05:07 PM
Heliup.com CNC CF Shogun/Zoom frame build thread/review Hoverup Mini Helis 123 Jun 18, 2005 10:09 PM