HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 13, 2012, 12:31 AM
Bay Area
Joined Dec 2010
2,395 Posts
I agree with Kev as well. It might seem weird angling the motor like that with the washers on top, and I was a little unsure as it seems angled more than you'd think, but trust it and the stock CG, keep your control surfaces level matching the non control parts of the wings for the first flight, and watch her fly away soft and nice.... very little to no trim needed.

Randy maidened his recently and same deal... smooth and nice.

I have those on mine at the top and they seem to be perfect.
CaliDave is online now Find More Posts by CaliDave
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 13, 2012, 12:55 AM
Nakelp
United States, NJ, Union
Joined Sep 2004
6,794 Posts
Thx Dave, will do :-)
it just seams weird :-)
nakelp86 is offline Find More Posts by nakelp86
Old Oct 13, 2012, 01:25 AM
Bay Area
Joined Dec 2010
2,395 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nakelp86 View Post
Thx Dave, will do :-)
it just seams weird :-)
Yeah, I spent more than a minute thinking about those... and when I went to swap from the stock M2200 system that had them glued into place to start (might have been a preproduction thing) I found my Himax wouldn't line up so I had to remove them but still put them back to there was that same angle and that's been working well too.

I guess it might be good for someone to try without them, but it seems to be part of the design to have the angled thrust maybe to help hold the tail up? Or someone throw a vector servo control on there and change it during flight!
CaliDave is online now Find More Posts by CaliDave
Old Oct 13, 2012, 02:55 PM
Joined May 2004
717 Posts
I posted this in other thread. Figured I would share here too.
My plane has been built for a few days. I hope to test fly tomorrow if the weather finally improves. I thought I should run the motor in a little to ensure everything sounds good. This is the first time that I ran the model up to full power. I am using a Gens Ace 4800 60-120c for testing. When I get to about 85% throttle I get a weird harmonic sound from the prop. The only way I can describe this is if anyone has ever put a prop on backwards. It makes a weird harmonic sound. I am sure the prop is rotating the correct direction as I have plenty of thrust. I will attach a cell phone video of the sound I am talking about. What do you guys think it is? I think the prop is basically overspeeding. At full throttle I am pulling 41.1 amps. I am getting a crazy 475 watts of power! At 1/2 throttle I am pulling only 11.5 amps. I can use other batteries that have a lower discharge rate that will not provide this much power I'm sure.
I think I will fly it tomorrow as it is but look to put a 9X6 APC on it.
Penguin prop harmonic (0 min 12 sec)
Tony97 is offline Find More Posts by Tony97
Old Oct 13, 2012, 03:22 PM
United States, OH, Powell
Joined Sep 2012
491 Posts
It sounds like the prop is cavitating. If it's a harmonic you can sand it out a little bit at a time
fpvbasher is offline Find More Posts by fpvbasher
Old Oct 13, 2012, 03:45 PM
Mosjøen, Norway
Joined Oct 2009
278 Posts
Tony97: i think you have the prop the wrong way.
flopp is offline Find More Posts by flopp
Old Oct 13, 2012, 03:53 PM
Joined May 2004
717 Posts
Do you mean sand prop blades? I don't want to alter the balance of the blades. I balanced them already.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fpvbasher View Post
It sounds like the prop is cavitating. If it's a harmonic you can sand it out a little bit at a time
Old Oct 13, 2012, 03:55 PM
Will it ever Fly?
United States, SD, Platte
Joined Nov 2011
422 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliDave View Post
I agree with Kev as well. It might seem weird angling the motor like that with the washers on top, and I was a little unsure as it seems angled more than you'd think, but trust it and the stock CG, keep your control surfaces level matching the non control parts of the wings for the first flight, and watch her fly away soft and nice.... very little to no trim needed.

Randy maidened his recently and same deal... smooth and nice.

I have those on mine at the top and they seem to be perfect.
is that for the 2220 Motor?
I have the 2815 motor and I see nothing in the maual about wooded washers.
Flybynight2 is offline Find More Posts by Flybynight2
Old Oct 13, 2012, 04:37 PM
United States, OH, Powell
Joined Sep 2012
491 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony97 View Post
Do you mean sand prop blades? I don't want to alter the balance of the blades. I balanced them already.
not alot, you would be surprised how much a half a swipe on one blade would do to change where it meets the harmonic, its ok to have one, everything will but you dont want it where you will flying at constantly, there is vibration associated with it as well
fpvbasher is offline Find More Posts by fpvbasher
Old Oct 13, 2012, 06:08 PM
Nakelp
United States, NJ, Union
Joined Sep 2004
6,794 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flybynight2 View Post
is that for the 2220 Motor?
I have the 2815 motor and I see nothing in the maual about wooded washers.
Yeah, for 2815 you have two thicker washers (little wooden circles )
Old Oct 13, 2012, 06:22 PM
Joined May 2004
717 Posts
I put a 5000 pack in with a smaller discharge rate. No noise. I tried an APC 9X6 and a 9X7.5.
The 9X7.5 puts out tons of power! I got 510 watts at 42 amps with the 60c battery. With a lower C battery, I got 486 watts at 41 amps. The motor got to about 131 degrees in a short time.
I am going with a 9X6. Puts out 430 watts at 35.7 amps with a high pack. Motor runs cool. At half throttle pulls 11.4 at 139 watts.
Old Oct 13, 2012, 07:34 PM
Launch the drones ...
Ashtabula, OH USA
Joined May 1999
3,125 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Green View Post
Not sure how I'd check the concentricity, but I did note that with the M2815 motor running, that the tail shakes some, at least it shakes more than any of my other planes tails shake, but I'd thought that was due to the long slender tail boom - maybe it's not?

At any rate, I don't deem the tail shaking to be severe enough not to launch as soon as the winds calm down a bit - wrong season for that though.

And I didn't use that horrendous sounding 3 bladed 9x5 prop - I'm using an APC 9x6E on 3 cells.
It's not enough shaking to matter - it's typical of styrofoam tails, now that I've looked at it longer. I did measure the holes in the adapter, and they were concentric. And just to be sure, I put another motor/prop/adapter on, and it was no different. And at one point, I had the prop backward, which didn't help - it sounds worse and shakes more, with the prop backward. tsk tsk
Tim Green is online now Find More Posts by Tim Green
Last edited by Tim Green; Oct 13, 2012 at 08:07 PM.
Old Oct 13, 2012, 08:07 PM
Joined May 2004
717 Posts
It shakes no worse than my EPP FPV, Bixler, or Easy Star.
Old Oct 13, 2012, 08:33 PM
Nakelp
United States, NJ, Union
Joined Sep 2004
6,794 Posts
thats a relief :-)
I run the motor without the prop and seams to be ok
Old Oct 13, 2012, 08:35 PM
Joined May 2004
717 Posts
Name: ImageUploadedByTapatalk1350174872.551840.jpg
Views: 163
Size: 151.7 KB
Description:
No prop vibrations a little high but this was from the top of the pod.