SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Feb 17, 2013, 09:50 AM
Video Juggernaut
FL
Joined Nov 2003
2,796 Posts
Penguin maiden. No fpv yet, still sorting out some TX issues. I did the trip with 2 gopros, one on top of the upgraded canopy and one pointing down out of the hull portal. Winds were 30mph with stronger gusts. There is audio from both cams hence the odd reverb effect.

Setup:
2815 motor
turnigy plush 60a
frsky rx
gensace 4s 5200mah battery
Graupner 9x5L eprop

2 x 6 minute flights battery still at 65%

Sequence 09 (6 min 17 sec)
Wingbreaker is offline Find More Posts by Wingbreaker
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 17, 2013, 10:15 AM
United States, OH, Delaware
Joined Mar 2006
768 Posts
30mph winds? Can't really tell in the video until you try to land. Excellent!
McCleary.11 is offline Find More Posts by McCleary.11
Site Sponsor
Old Feb 17, 2013, 11:08 AM
Seattle, WA - USA
Joined Sep 2003
3,503 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tresark View Post
I recently received my Penguin and as I'm sorting through checking each part, I noticed the fuselage half that has the wooden 'beam' with the cutout for the elevator servo is bowed.

While I understand that plywood isn't precise, when I lay the two halves glue surfaces toward a table top, the half with the plywood has an arc that has the rudder end of the fuselage out of alignment by 5 or 6 mm.

When I take the two halves and tape them together, the rudder is not centered with what would be the fuselage glue line, its off by about the same amount as above.

Is this going to be a significant issue after assembly?

Thanks,
Tre
I would return it.
mark_q is online now Find More Posts by mark_q
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Zeta FX-61 Phantom FPV Wing
Old Feb 17, 2013, 11:09 AM
Joined Jun 2012
19 Posts
Pic of bowed fuselage

Quote:
Originally Posted by McCleary.11 View Post
That doesnt sound right... Can you post a pic?
Hopefully this makes it more obvious, you should be able to tell that it actually goes up near a half inch or about 12 mm.

Tre
Tresark is offline Find More Posts by Tresark
Old Feb 17, 2013, 11:13 AM
Video Juggernaut
FL
Joined Nov 2003
2,796 Posts
Quote:
30mph winds? Can't really tell in the video until you try to land. Excellent!
yes approach was sketchy. my second flight i did a rolling land on tarmac. I was lucky but it was that turbulent wind that could slam it down so I opted for grass on this first flight.
Wingbreaker is offline Find More Posts by Wingbreaker
Old Feb 17, 2013, 11:23 AM
Will it ever Fly?
United States, SD, Platte
Joined Nov 2011
422 Posts
Quote:
Hopefully this makes it more obvious, you should be able to tell that it actually goes up near a half inch or about 12 mm.
Tre
When I do my repairs (after a crash) I have two wooden boards that I clamp on each side to make sure that the fuselage is straight.
If you plan on trying to use that one, I think that by gluing and clamping straight the glued parts would come out OK.
But your call.
Flybynight2 is offline Find More Posts by Flybynight2
Old Feb 17, 2013, 01:03 PM
Seattle, WA - USA
Joined Sep 2003
3,503 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by swartzracing View Post
Hey Mark!

Can I have your permission to copy that linkage setup? Haha

Looks clean and seems like it would help with precision.

Cheers
HaHA!
Of course as most everything I've done is someone elses idea I have modified (or not!)

I used the stock nylon tube, repositioned so the control horn is on top, then I made the pushrod from .060" (1.5mm) carbon fiber rod epoxied into a dubro brass 2-56 coupler. Then the elevator end is finished with a dubro 2-56 ball link. On the servo side I use an adjustable barrel end. Smooth as silk, no noise and no slop. I have more picts and info in my build notes HERE.

(Sorry for the late response, I've been traveling and some replies I just won't do from my iPhone )
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 17, 2013, 01:50 PM
United States, OH, Delaware
Joined Mar 2006
768 Posts
Quote:

Tre
I am sorry this is setting you back with your build. Something definitely went wrong here from the factory or during shipping. Did you notice it right when you took it out of the box? Please submit a ticket at RMRC and we should have a solution for you.
McCleary.11 is offline Find More Posts by McCleary.11
Site Sponsor
Old Feb 17, 2013, 06:55 PM
KK4NOP
United States, VA, Virginia Beach
Joined Aug 2005
3,396 Posts
Quote:
I am sorry this is setting you back with your build. Something definitely went wrong here from the factory or during shipping. Did you notice it right when you took it out of the box? Please submit a ticket at RMRC and we should have a solution for you.
and the number one reason to buy from RMRC......
Mike Freas is online now Find More Posts by Mike Freas
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Pan/Tilt servo mods
Old Feb 17, 2013, 09:43 PM
USA, NH, Alstead
Joined Oct 2007
4,977 Posts
Here are a few pictures of my new Penguin build. Apologies to Markq for copying his color scheme. Paint was Rustoleum and areas to be painted were sanded with 320 grit paper and washed with 409. Seems to stick well.

I added some fiberglass cloth under the nose area and also around the tail wheel and on the little wing bumps on the bottom of the wing to protect these areas a bit. Basically I sanded the area, sprayed it with 3M 90 adhesive, sprayed some strips of fiberglass cloth with adhesive, and when both were dry enough to handle I pressed the cloth in place, gave it another coat of adhesive, and painted it when dry. It seems quite rugged. Don't know if it is necessary but it can't hurt.

I am presently working finishing the install of ET OSD and Guardian stabilizer, baro altimeter and GPS as well as the 5.8 VTX and 600 TVL board camera. I may replace that with a Pixim which I have ordered. I am using stock 2815 motor and ESC.
u2builder is online now Find More Posts by u2builder
Last edited by u2builder; Feb 18, 2013 at 07:42 PM. Reason: Adhesive was 3M 90, not 99 as I said. Home Depot has it.
Old Feb 17, 2013, 10:48 PM
Seattle, WA - USA
Joined Sep 2003
3,503 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by u2builder View Post
Here are a few pictures of my new Penguin build. Apologies to Markq for copying his color scheme. Paint was Rustoleum and areas to be painted were sanded with 320 grit paper and washed with 409. Seems to stick well.

I added some fiberglass cloth under the nose area and also around the tail wheel and on the little wing bumps on the bottom of the wing to protect these areas a bit. Basically I sanded the area, sprayed it with 3M 99 adhesive, sprayed some strips of fiberglass cloth with adhesive, and when both were dry enough to handle I pressed the cloth in place, gave it another coat of adhesive, and painted it when dry. It seems quite rugged. Don't know if it is necessary but it can't hurt.

I am presently working finishing the install of ET OSD and Guardian stabilizer, baro altimeter and GPS as well as the 5.8 VTX and 600 TVL board camera. I may replace that with a Pixim which I have ordered. I am using stock 2815 motor and ESC.
Nicely Done Sir!! I like the nose!
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 17, 2013, 10:52 PM
United States, TX, Austin
Joined Aug 2007
354 Posts
Nice work on the skid plate. I've also been working on one made by using a mold and heat shrinking a 2 liter bottle over it. I have some photos I'll post soon. It really doesn't take much to chew up that area of the nose.
superevan is offline Find More Posts by superevan
Old Feb 18, 2013, 09:41 AM
Go Fly Yourself...!!
United States, WA, Bonney Lake
Joined Oct 2004
1,605 Posts
Quote:
Here are a few pictures of my new Penguin build. Apologies to Markq for copying his color scheme.
Wait a minute U2 .... Don't let Mark fool ya. He copied the scheme from me changing to Blue from Orange.
But at least you apologized.

You kicked up a notch with the nose and motor nacelle details... I may end up doing some copying myself!
Nice job indeed!!!

D-Man
xxD-Manxx is offline Find More Posts by xxD-Manxx
Old Feb 18, 2013, 09:51 AM
USA, NH, Alstead
Joined Oct 2007
4,977 Posts
Ha Ha. Mark told me he was a flying buddy of yours and copied your scheme. I saw yours in an earlier thread and debated whether I wanted orange or blue. I decided on blue. It is a nice scheme! BTW, instead of spraying the engine mount area I just sprayed a little paint into a plastic container and brushed it on so I didn't have to mask it. I have also used this method for touchups.

Also, regarding the fiberglass tape/3M adhesive, if anyone decides to do this, first spray the cloth and let it dry quite a bit and then cut the strips to shape. That way you don't get frayed edges. The fiberglass works well because it easily conforms to the compound curves. Once it is applied I also spray some adhesive into a contained and then brush it a coat over the applied fiberglass. This way you don't get a lot of overspray.
u2builder is online now Find More Posts by u2builder
Old Feb 18, 2013, 11:56 AM
Seattle, WA - USA
Joined Sep 2003
3,503 Posts
Quote:
Ha Ha. Mark told me he was a flying buddy of yours and copied your scheme. .
I am vindicated!!
RCG Plus Member