Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Jul 03, 2012, 09:16 PM
United States, TN, Knoxville
Joined May 2004
96 Posts
Discussion
Soldiers paying for supply items

One of the facebook friends of my wife posted a story that said a marine had to pay for gloves and other supply items when the ones he was first issued were no longer useable. I do not recall this being true a long time ago when I was in the service. Does anyone know if this is true today??
Marvinwc is online now Find More Posts by Marvinwc
Old Jul 03, 2012, 09:36 PM
Joined Aug 2003
2,629 Posts
Probably. Volunteer force is apparently self supporting too when all the money goes to development of boondogle aircraft, bizarre fuels and exotic weapons research. Theyre privateers now soon to be paid in contintental script.
HELModels is offline Find More Posts by HELModels
Old Jul 03, 2012, 09:40 PM
Joined Jul 2004
3,771 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by HELModels View Post
Theyre privateers now soon to be paid in contintental script.
Can that be used at the PX for car and motorcycle tires ?.
Usta Bee is offline Find More Posts by Usta Bee
Old Jul 03, 2012, 10:08 PM
Expo/DualRates = Lack of Skill
San Diego, CA
Joined Mar 2009
789 Posts
Used to be paid a preset "clothing allowance" yearly. Probably still the case today.

BTW, soldiers ≠ marines.
typeRA is offline Find More Posts by typeRA
Old Jul 03, 2012, 10:30 PM
Keremeos, BC Canada
Joined Mar 2004
2,639 Posts
I spoke to a vet of Nam, and he told me that they charged him for various supplies (catheters etc) while he was in a VA hospital. When he died, they sent the bill to his widow. I didn't believe it until she showed me the invoice, payable in 30 days, please...
TLyttle is offline Find More Posts by TLyttle
Old Jul 03, 2012, 10:55 PM
United States, CA, Brentwood
Joined Jun 2012
451 Posts
Yes, 100% true. Stepson just got to basic. He had to pay for all his pt clothes, boots, acu's etc. mind you it was very cheap though. He spent 200 bucks for everything.
Underthetire is offline Find More Posts by Underthetire
Old Jul 04, 2012, 01:15 AM
Disgruntled Member
United States, OK, Anadarko
Joined Aug 2003
1,629 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by HELModels View Post
Probably. Volunteer force is apparently self supporting too when all the money goes to development of boondogle aircraft, bizarre fuels and exotic weapons research. Theyre privateers now soon to be paid in contintental script.
When I went in our "issue" of uniforms was deducted from our pay, it was just over $500.00, Surprised my father too. He did not have to pay out of pocket for his.
RCWorks is offline Find More Posts by RCWorks
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: HobbyCNC ProBoard...
Old Jul 04, 2012, 05:23 AM
Chillin till SEFF
Warner Robins, GA
Joined Aug 2003
14,635 Posts
Yeah, they give you a clothing allowance. It nowhere near covers the uni's you actually need but been that way for quite a while. When I joined the AF the pants and shirt for one utility uniform were 7 and 8 dollars respectively I believe. When I retired the same type uni was upwards of 70 bucks all said and done
bildo baggins is online now Find More Posts by bildo baggins
Old Jul 04, 2012, 06:54 AM
Santo, Tx. La Tierra de Dios
Joined Nov 2005
149 Posts
When I went into the USN I had to pay for for my complete original issue. Paid for it every month until it was paid off. Left me with $56 a month. Clothing allotment was less than $12/year. Thats been 50 years ago, maybe things have changed.
Whizz is online now Find More Posts by Whizz
Old Jul 04, 2012, 07:32 AM
United States, NJ, Browns Mills
Joined May 2005
1,814 Posts
When I enlisted in the USAF in 1974, we had to pay for our initial clothing issue, but we did get a small monthly allowance after that.

Five years later, I got my degree and got commissioned. Again, we had to pay for everything, and as an officer I no longer received any regular clothing issue, except for a new field jacket when we went from fatigues to BDUs (even that was like pulling teeth, as my squadron had to pay for it).

Special issue items, such as mukluks, parkas, and other arctic supplies were given out free of charge when I got to Alaska (as an officer). I had to turn in the parka and mukluks, but the mukluk liners and gloves were mine to keep (no charge).

CD
Captain Dunsel is online now Find More Posts by Captain Dunsel
Old Jul 04, 2012, 07:51 AM
foamie re-cycler
United States, WV
Joined Nov 2004
2,091 Posts
Many retail suppliers of military clothing/supplies (Brigade Quatermaster immediately comes to mind)offer superior grade merchandise compared to official issue...perhaps this is what the OP was refering to...
daddiozz is offline Find More Posts by daddiozz
Old Jul 04, 2012, 09:09 AM
In Development Now
Joined May 2005
445 Posts
Some soldiers don't like army underwear. It's ichy.
Indiana_Geoff is offline Find More Posts by Indiana_Geoff
Old Jul 04, 2012, 10:13 AM
Let slip the dogs of war!
United States, VA, Virginia Beach
Joined Jun 2005
1,699 Posts
Okay, here's the real deal:

All military members (all services) are given an initial clothing allowance, this is paid to you, and yes, in boot camp, it is taken right back. So you are paid for your uniforms, but then you have to pay for them. It does not come out of your basic pay.

All services provide a clothing maintenance allowance. This is paid annually at a basic rate for the first three years, and at a standard (increased) rate after that.

In the Navy, when you make Chief, you are given a clothing allowance, as you have to buy all new uniforms.

For me, the annual clothing allowance was more or less like a bonus, I rarely had to buy many new uniform items as I worked in coveralls that were provided by the squadron as organizational clothing. Flight deck boots were also provided as organizational clothing.

So, if the "gloves and other supply items" are issued, they are likely "sea bag" items and have to be maintained and replaced by the young Marine.
Park_Flyer is offline Find More Posts by Park_Flyer
Old Jul 04, 2012, 10:19 AM
Trons and Fumes
Fallon, NV
Joined Mar 2007
5,033 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvinwc View Post
One of the facebook friends of my wife posted a story that said a marine had to pay for gloves and other supply items when the ones he was first issued were no longer useable. I do not recall this being true a long time ago when I was in the service. Does anyone know if this is true today??
When I was active duty (81-86), we all got a clothing allowance. The original issue was free, replacements were paid 'out of pocket' from our clothing allowance. It was added to our regular pay, and if we spent it on something else, it was our bust.
wrightme is offline Find More Posts by wrightme
Old Jul 04, 2012, 10:20 AM
Bagpipes spoken here
United States, MN, St Paul
Joined Aug 2007
108 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by typeRA View Post
Used to be paid a preset "clothing allowance" yearly. Probably still the case today.

BTW, soldiers ≠ marines.
And officers get a one-time clothing allowance.
Pipemajor is offline Find More Posts by Pipemajor