HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 10, 2012, 04:57 PM
3d enjoyer
Norway, Aust-Agder, Birkenes
Joined Jun 2004
313 Posts
Ok, so here is my first video test of the gimbal. I swaped out the servos that come with the gimbal for some much quicker and better Align 620 servos. Only problen now is the limitied travel the Wookong Gimbal output give you. As you can see in the video... Despite this I think this gimbal will deliver good video once the Wookong gets it much anticipated gimbal output fix... hopefully by the end of this week..

Let me know what you think..

DS02gimbal testing (5 min 14 sec)
flypilot is offline Find More Posts by flypilot
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 11, 2012, 06:19 AM
Joined Jul 2012
3 Posts
gimble etc

Hi Flypilot ...
Thanks for posting the footage ... yup, hopefully the Wookong firmware update does the trick. Besides the gimble, how does the H800 itself handle? Flight times? What size lipo you using? Do you think a proven gimble will work with this frame?
Apologies for the million question ... just doing some 'homework' before I make decision which setup to get. Thanks for the great feedback and quick responses.
fishnet is offline Find More Posts by fishnet
Old Jul 11, 2012, 06:49 AM
3d enjoyer
Joined Jun 2004
313 Posts
The frame works great, but I believe the 11x5 graupners are a bit small. They work great but I lack a bit power. Going to try some carbon 13x4 props next. Using 2x4s 5800 mah batteries. Get about 12 min. flighttime.
Old Jul 12, 2012, 11:37 AM
Joined Jul 2012
2 Posts
Hy Flypilot
What do you think? This kitt (frame,esc,motors, ) will work with Naza controller?
nerom941 is offline Find More Posts by nerom941
Old Jul 12, 2012, 12:49 PM
3d enjoyer
Joined Jun 2004
313 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nerom941 View Post
Hy Flypilot
What do you think? This kitt (frame,esc,motors, ) will work with Naza controller?
Absolutely, this fram will work with most controllers, no problem.

Here is another testvideo of the gimbal with Wookong M 5.10 firmware. Large improvement but was using some unbalanced 13x4 APC e props...hence a lot of vibrations...got some carbon ones coming from Foxtechfpv and will try these.

DS02gimbal testing 510 (2 min 58 sec)
Old Jul 12, 2012, 02:59 PM
Joined Jul 2012
3 Posts
H800

Looks like it's coming on great! What camera are you using?
fishnet is offline Find More Posts by fishnet
Old Jul 12, 2012, 04:05 PM
3d enjoyer
Joined Jun 2004
313 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishnet View Post
Looks like it's coming on great! What camera are you using?
Using a canon 550d/T2i
Old Jul 20, 2012, 12:45 AM
Cape Coral, FL
Joined Nov 2001
1,898 Posts
flypilot,

I am considering to buy this frame and WKM (or Naza now that GPS is available) from foxtechfpv as my first multi-rotor for aerial photo/video and I am glad you posted such a great review and photos and video. I see you started on July 3 and had flight video by July 10. In my opinion, that says the build and setup was very solid (other than a servo change). I have been reading other threads where they use other brand flight controllers and they spend weeks "getting the bugs out" just to make it fly. Here you are in a few days already trusting your nice DSLR! To me, that is a great statement to a solid system.

I have a Panasonic Lumix GH2 that weighs 642 grams. I don't know the weight of your camera. What is your opinion about the ability of this frame and motor and gimbal combo to handle the weight?

Is Wookong M 5.10 firmware the update you have been waiting for regarding gimbal stability? (sorry, I don't own one, so I don't know the versions).

The only other frame I am considering is the DJI F550. It seems to me the FH-H800 is better. But I really like the F550 how the ESC's mount on the arms and the center plate has power distribution - seems like the wiring job is very clean. In contrast, the FH-H800 has all 18 motor wires and 6 ESCs on the hub, which seems congested. Now that you have built the H800, is the congestion an issue or not?

What was your decision process to go with the H800?

The gimbal looks great. Are you happy with it?

Sorry for so many questions. I'm trying to decide what to buy.

Thanks,
Derek
DerekB is offline Find More Posts by DerekB
Old Jul 20, 2012, 04:06 AM
3d enjoyer
Joined Jun 2004
313 Posts
Hi Derek, no problem, thats what this forum is all aabout, to share experience with fellow modellers.

First of this build is very quick as the frame is mostly built for you. The only thing you need to do is mount the motors, solder the connectors and setup the electronics...Also you have to make your own radiotray as this is not supplied.

My camera setup with the fpv gear is about 1 kg so you 650 gram is no problem whatsoever, also I am running 2x 4s5800mah batteries in pararell to get more flighttime, som my whole rig weigh in at 5 kg RTF. I am currently experimenting to find the best prop for this setup but are using 13x4 carbon props now but find that the pitchspeed is abit to low, so I would think that 13x6,5 is close to perfect, you might wanna get those props as well if you pick up this frame..

With regards to congestion on the frame, it is always a bit congested with all those wires but if you are organized there is no problem fitting it all.

The reason for me going for this frame is that I like that it is foldable, as a big hexa takes a lot of space in the trunk. Also the gimbal looked like it was a good design and you get a sturdy landinggear as well. I am so far happy with the gimbal in the sense that I had to change out the servos and I am now in the process of changing out the gearing and maybe putting on an external pot on the pitch axis to get more travel. This is because of the limitiations in the Wookong it self.. Allthough the new firmware helped a lot in the smoothness of the gimbal it still has limitiation on the travel of the servo...so thats why I have to change gearing and maybe put on the pot.

Just let me know if you have any other questions, or if there are specific things you need to see. I'll just snap a picture for you.

Later.
Old Jul 20, 2012, 07:11 AM
3d enjoyer
Joined Jun 2004
313 Posts
I've done the external pot mod to my pitch servo now and here is a small video of the result.

I have a slight lag but will not get rid of that before I get another Gear Ratio on the belt, but are very happy so far with the mod...its not very pretty looking but it works well.

Here is the link to the thread where I took some pictures of moving the pot.

ExtPot (0 min 47 sec)
Old Jul 20, 2012, 05:08 PM
3d enjoyer
Joined Jun 2004
313 Posts
Here is a video I shot tonight at a festival where I live...Justing flying around testing the gimbal setup..nothing fancy but I get good results I think. This is raw video with no post except a bit of clipping.

Gummibåt festivalen (5 min 52 sec)
Old Jul 20, 2012, 11:09 PM
Cape Coral, FL
Joined Nov 2001
1,898 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flypilot View Post
Here is a video I shot tonight at a festival where I live...Justing flying around testing the gimbal setup..nothing fancy but I get good results I think. This is raw video with no post except a bit of clipping.

http://youtu.be/Xff9uONF_BY
That is superb results. Very smooth.

(sorry for all the questions - I added some numbers so it is easier to answer which ever you choose . I really want to buy something in the next few days and make the right choice. My camera is lighter, but still close enough to your T2i weight. - thanks)

I am impressed that you have enough confidence from such a new copter to fly over water!! I will need to fly over water quite often. You must be very confident about the WKM. I am trying to decide to get the NAZA with GPS or spend more for the WKM. I don't know the list of differences. All I want to do is exactly what you just did at the festival. I think just Line Of Sight flying, but maybe use FPV for aiming the camera.

1) If I understand correctly, FPV has nothing to do with the flight controller and navigation - it is a totally independent system. Am I correct?

I just need the copter to sit still long enough to adjust the aiming and snap a photo. I mostly need photos. Of course video is totally cool! I think the Naza with GPS will now hold position (without GPS, the Naza would hold altitude and heading, but drift with the wind, if I am correct?).

2) What feature might I regret not having with the Naza/GPS compared to the WKM?

3) Are you using FPV? If so, what system. You seemed to aim the camera perfectly a few times. (oh, wait, I seem to recall in your other video, you had a tripod next to you and you glanced at it a few times - was that a video monitor?)

3) I don't understand yet, how does the gimbal provide stabilization, then you can aim it? Do you turn a knob on the transmitter, then it remembers the new position and uses that as the new hold position?

4) I am concerned my Spektrum DX8 will not be good for that because there is only 1 knob on the top, which is hard to reach, and everything else is switches. I presume I need 2 easy to reach knobs or sliders for 2 axis gimbal control.

5) In your external pot mod. video, what is the item strapped to the stock landing gear, directly behind you camera? It looks like it says "Align".

6) What lens and settings are you using on the camera? I liked your field of view, that seems about right, wide enough, but not too wide.

Some hardware questions:
7) Are you impressed with the motor quality, wire gauge, and their balance?
8) Where the motor mount clamps to the boom, is it tight enough and last a long time without twisting?
9) What is the blue and black wire taped to the front of the grip of your camera?

Sorry for all the questions . I wish I could just teleport over and visit. I promise my questions will get shorter. There is so much to learn, even though I fly RC for many years.

10) Is there any other frame and gimbal you would consider in this price range? Am I correct that a Hex is the right choice for DSLR, not a quad, or a Y6?

Derek
Old Jul 21, 2012, 11:25 AM
3d enjoyer
Joined Jun 2004
313 Posts
Wow, alot of questions hehe, but very good that you have these questions, it shows that you are thinking this through before you commit..

As of what you say you are going to use the hexa for I would probably just go for the Naza w/gps as this have all the flight controll functions you want, is alot cheaper and has less components.

I will do my best to answer, as I have not been doing this for so long my self, only about 6 months.

1. Yes you are correct, I am using my JR Xg8 for telemtri data such as voltage, mah usage and altitude and a seperate 5.8ghz 200mw ( with cloverleaf antennas) fpv system for fpv.

2. see above

3. Using this system: Hobbyking. And my camera has a live view option that alow me to use it as a viewfinder on the ground through the AV out plug. You can use any screen for ground station really but i am using one of these: Ebay

4. The gimbal controll system of the wokong/NAza takes care of this, you only need to have a free channel on your radio to control pitch angle. Panning is done with yaw.

5.That is the FPV transmitter with the cloverleaf antenna.

6. I am just using the kit lens that came with the camera, it is set on 18mm.

7. Motors are very nice quality.
8. I hope so, they are still nice and tight but it is still fairly new.
9. That is the remote led trigger.

10. Really have no other experience than with hexas, I have read on these forums that the y6 is working very well in more windy conditions, so you might want to check that out..
Old Jul 24, 2012, 07:49 AM
Cape Coral, FL
Joined Nov 2001
1,898 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flypilot View Post
Wow, alot of questions hehe, but very good that you have these questions, it shows that you are thinking this through before you commit..

flypilot,

Thanks for the great reply. I know it takes a long time to answer so many questions. Your answers make things a lot more clear for me, plus I have been reading several other threads. I am looking at the Y6 also. I hope to make a choice soon. At least one thing, the Naza with GPS seems to be the clear choice for flight controller. I am reading some people who are very picky about achieving video image stability during high wind (professionals who have one chance for an event or something and client expects pro quality HD video), are not happy with the gimbal control provided by the Naza or Wookong M with even the best servos. But the solution costs big bucks like the Zen Muse. The good news is, the solution for better gimbal control is to add a separate gimbal controller, such as from HoverFly, seems to be a favorite. I mostly need photos (for now anyway), so this should not be an issue for me.

At the moment, I am leaning away from the FH-H800 due to it's overall size and weight and battery size. Even though I love my GH2, I would be willing to buy a new Sony NEX-5N for $700 that weighs 404 grams including 18-55 kit lens, in order to get a "smaller" copter that will fly with a single 4S-5000 pack.

I'm still doing research, but I'm only going to put up with it for another week, then my brain will hurt so much, I will have to stop and buy something!

Derek
Old Jul 24, 2012, 08:06 AM
3d enjoyer
Joined Jun 2004
313 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DerekB View Post
flypilot,
I'm still doing research, but I'm only going to put up with it for another week, then my brain will hurt so much, I will have to stop and buy something!

Derek
Hehe, I know the feeling Good luck with what you end up with and please write a build logg here on the forum..