Old Jul 03, 2012, 04:42 PM
3d enjoyer
Norway, Aust-Agder, Birkenes
Joined Jun 2004
313 Posts
Build Log
Foxtech FH-H800 w/DS02 Gimbal

Hi,

Building my second Hexa and bought foxtechfpv's 800mm Carbon Hexa with their new DS02 gimbal.

http://www.foxtechfpv.com/fhh800-atf...bal-p-560.html

Thought I should just kick it off with some pictures of what you get in the box as it arrives from foxtech.

First initial opening reveals a plain box with just the parts thrown in with out any padding stopping the parts from rattling around the box...despite the poor packaing nothing seems damaged from travelig around half the world thankfully.
flypilot is offline Find More Posts by flypilot
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 03, 2012, 05:00 PM
3d enjoyer
Joined Jun 2004
313 Posts
Some more pictures of the combo contents...

Just a couple of comments so far.

- Motors does not come with bulletplugs
- No plate to mount your controllbox, receiver etc. included.
- No manual
- Nice quality carbon
- Gimbal is solid and well built

On with the build..
Old Jul 05, 2012, 06:00 AM
3d enjoyer
Joined Jun 2004
313 Posts
soo, the build continues...

Continues with the motors and attached them to them arms, easy job.

Also soldered a billion 3,5mm bulletplugs to the motorleads

No surprise so far. Next I will tackle the electronics and its placments....I will cut myself a board to mount on top of the frame to hide the escs and power distroboard underneath.
Old Jul 05, 2012, 06:10 AM
Joined Jul 2008
35 Posts
Looks interesting so far What kind of FC are you going to use?
Gh05trider is offline Find More Posts by Gh05trider
Old Jul 05, 2012, 06:16 AM
3d enjoyer
Joined Jun 2004
313 Posts
I will be using WKM as I have really good results with it so far. Just waiting for the gimbal firmware update and it will hopefully be even btter.
Old Jul 05, 2012, 06:24 AM
3d enjoyer
Joined Jun 2004
313 Posts
I did not really have any good way as of attaching the gimbal/landing gear to the frame and went for the zeal tape and zipties. I know, not the best way of doing it but it seems to work pretty good. And it is easy to seperate the two pieces. Had to make four holes in the frame to fit the zipties so that they were not in the way of the folding mechanism.

Next is testflight and tuning of flightcontroll.
Old Jul 05, 2012, 06:50 AM
vin diousse
Joined Nov 2011
155 Posts
that's a lot of $ in the air dude!

can't wait to see your pics/vids online...
GOURBI is offline Find More Posts by GOURBI
Old Jul 05, 2012, 11:51 AM
Joined Jan 2012
404 Posts
I am about to get that very same frame today, just waiting for mail man.

I did not the the gimbal landing gear, decided to get frame only.
vewdew is offline Find More Posts by vewdew
Old Jul 05, 2012, 11:52 AM
Joined Jan 2012
404 Posts
Its nice so see someone else working on it, I already have my brain storming on how I will attach all the electronics to it
vewdew is offline Find More Posts by vewdew
Old Jul 05, 2012, 12:44 PM
Jenks, Okla.
Joined Oct 2009
140 Posts
I'm doing a lot of research on hex and octocopter platforms for my next step in low level aerial photography. This package deal is currently at the top of the list.
I'm looking forward to more of the review, and especially, what you think of the gimble operation.
Currently flying a 550 quad with a 2 axis gimble using a gopro, and a small point and shoot. I'm getting good results, but I need something to lift a DSLR. I'm not currently flying FPV, but I will with the bigger set up.
Thanks for the review, keep it comming.
surfer dude is online now Find More Posts by surfer dude
Old Jul 05, 2012, 01:35 PM
3d enjoyer
Joined Jun 2004
313 Posts
Hi,
Yes I have flown it a couple of times today and it is working very good, The only problem I have is that the WookongM gimbal control does not work well with a unlimitd throw servo for pitch, it goes crazy. To be able to use it I had to disable the pitch servo with 0 gain on pitch in the assistant and use very limited throws on the pitch controll channel, which I have on one of the sliders on my XG8. My travel adjust on the pitch axis is about 9 an 12 to be able to make it stand still as it is very sensitiv around center. I shall see if I can not make a small video of what I mean. What I will do probably is switch the servos for much faster Align 620 servos that I have been using on my other hexa..they work great and will work even better as DJI realeases the gimbal firmware update that is right around the corner...hopefully.

Other than that it flies great. Here is my setup of the Wookong

Basic gains is at 200, yaw and vertical is 150, Attitude gains is at 70.

Advanced settings is: Pitch,roll, I at 70, to remove the bounceback with quick stick inputs.

Other than that everything else is default...

Position info is all 0. all I did was a compass calibration and it flies perfectly.
Old Jul 05, 2012, 01:41 PM
3d enjoyer
Joined Jun 2004
313 Posts
Oh and almost forgot: Using 4s and Graupner 11x5 props...they are really worth getting...much better than any other prop I have tried...
Old Jul 10, 2012, 02:44 AM
Joined Jul 2012
3 Posts
Video footage

Hi .... any chance of getting some footage to see the stability of the setup? Really like to the look of the kit and gimble .... but would like to some video
fishnet is offline Find More Posts by fishnet
Old Jul 10, 2012, 07:17 AM
3d enjoyer
Joined Jun 2004
313 Posts
I will try to make a short video as soon as i get it to work the way i like. I am afraid that i have to replace the servos for some quicker ones as the ones provided are not the quickest. Also the wookong gimbal software does not work properly with the continues servo on pitch. Will post video later this week.