HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 03, 2012, 04:29 PM
Don't Drink & Fly
United States, OH
Joined Jun 2012
346 Posts
Discussion
V911 vs cb100?

I know I just got my V911 and am waiting on parts to mod it, but am already looking at other helis to buy soon.

I wondered how does the CB100 compare to the V911 when it comes to being easy to fly and also durability? I like the CB100 overall with the brushless motors, much larger battery pack, look etc. But wonder will it fly similar and will it be easier to damage when you crash?

Thanks.

Not sure if I want another micro next or if I should look at larger helis for my 2nd purchase.
TapouT21 is offline Find More Posts by TapouT21
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 03, 2012, 04:54 PM
Toronto Canada
Joined Dec 2002
5,433 Posts
I have 3 CB100s each with a different tail motor (brushed and brushless).

The V911 was a huge pleasant surprise for me.

Although the CB100 flies similarly to the V911, the CB100 will frequently go out of control with violent manoeuvres because the flybar weights go to their limits and the heli loses control.

The CB100 is much heavier and more susceptible to damage, but the weight helps a bit in the wind.

The only problem I have had with my V911 is the odd flybar strike on the canopy.

The CB100 cost about $150 with transmitter, the V911 costs much less.

The CB100 has a brushless motor or two, but the motors on the V911 are cheap and after many flights I have not had to replace one.

The V911 is a great heli and will likely be a model for future designs.

I also have a flybarless MSRX which is also a great FP outdoor flier because it doesn't have the stability limits of the V911 45 degree flybar, but has shorter flight times.
Martyn McKinney is offline Find More Posts by Martyn McKinney
Last edited by Martyn McKinney; Jul 03, 2012 at 05:02 PM.
Old Jul 03, 2012, 05:34 PM
Don't Drink & Fly
United States, OH
Joined Jun 2012
346 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martyn McKinney View Post
I have 3 CB100s each with a different tail motor (brushed and brushless).

The V911 was a huge pleasant surprise for me.

Although the CB100 flies similarly to the V911, the CB100 will frequently go out of control with violent manoeuvres because the flybar weights go to their limits and the heli loses control.

The CB100 is much heavier and more susceptible to damage, but the weight helps a bit in the wind.

The only problem I have had with my V911 is the odd flybar strike on the canopy.
Are there any mods to fix the flybar weight issue on the CB100? I was worried about the weight and damage issue as well.

I think I may have had the v911 flybar hit the canopy once, I wasnt sure what happened or what the noise was but it makes sense now that you mentioned that.

I almost bought the CB100 over a year ago when I first look into helis but put it off for awhile. The v911 being my first heli (other than a 3ch. a while back), I really enjoy it and want more....

I just dont want to get something too hard for a beginner or too easy to break and get too expensive too fast. I was surprised in how fast I started flying the V911. I know I have more to go before I can fly really well, but it was easier than I expected to fly around, and, hover etc... Just get confused if I come back towards myself, lol. * I need a remote that I can flip a switch and reverse the left/right control. Wonder if that could be done in a mod.
Old Jul 03, 2012, 05:34 PM
Joined Jul 2008
204 Posts
The CB100 is a fairly old model these days - if you like the look of Walkera micros, take a look at the Walkera Super FP. It's not brushless, but it's got enough power for it's size/weight. And being fixed-pitch and flybarless, the rotor head is quite simple mechanically, so it's fairly crash-resistant.
bluescrn is offline Find More Posts by bluescrn
Old Jul 04, 2012, 10:02 AM
Don't Drink & Fly
United States, OH
Joined Jun 2012
346 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluescrn View Post
The CB100 is a fairly old model these days - if you like the look of Walkera micros, take a look at the Walkera Super FP. It's not brushless, but it's got enough power for it's size/weight. And being fixed-pitch and flybarless, the rotor head is quite simple mechanically, so it's fairly crash-resistant.
The Super FP does look durable. I like the flybar-less design too. Wish it was brushless though. Maybe I will look also at the next size up if there are any durable models that are brushless.
Old Jul 04, 2012, 11:46 AM
It flies!!! ... so who cares ?
Joined Mar 2009
9,392 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TapouT21 View Post
The Super FP does look durable. I like the flybar-less design too. Wish it was brushless though. Maybe I will look also at the next size up if there are any durable models that are brushless.
http://www.rc711.com/shop/24g-walker...65_122_292_301

just FYI though:
it is impossible to even remotely compare the two (V911 vs. Supermini FP) - and if you DO get a Supermini (which to me appeared to be VERY durable -ie I did not break a physical part, but the electronics could not take the constant abuse (ie fullspeed crashes into office walls)) get yourself an awful LOT OF SPACE!!! (you will desperately need it!!!)
erdnuckel2 is online now Find More Posts by erdnuckel2
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: E2's canopy thread
Old Jul 04, 2012, 12:14 PM
Cranky old fart
Germantown, WI.
Joined Oct 2007
21,486 Posts
Quote:
Can help you with larger sized, brushless, flybarless FP: V200D01. For durable, you are out of luck.
Balr14 is offline Find More Posts by Balr14
Old Jul 04, 2012, 03:38 PM
Don't Drink & Fly
United States, OH
Joined Jun 2012
346 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by erdnuckel2 View Post
http://www.rc711.com/shop/24g-walker...65_122_292_301

just FYI though:
it is impossible to even remotely compare the two (V911 vs. Supermini FP) - and if you DO get a Supermini (which to me appeared to be VERY durable -ie I did not break a physical part, but the electronics could not take the constant abuse (ie fullspeed crashes into office walls)) get yourself an awful LOT OF SPACE!!! (you will desperately need it!!!)
Is the Supermini FP as stable as the V911 at least? I like that heli, pricey for a small heli that is BNF, but looks worth it. I guess I would need to buy the $100+ transmitter too though cause I dont have any other transmitters.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balr14 View Post
Can help you with larger sized, brushless, flybarless FP: V200D01. For durable, you are out of luck.
I like that heli too. I guess if I go any bigger, I better be good at flying so I dont crash too often.
Old Jul 04, 2012, 08:22 PM
Joined Mar 2009
9,392 Posts
Quote:
Is the Supermini FP as stable as the V911 at least? I like that heli, pricey for a small heli that is BNF, but looks worth it. I guess I would need to buy the $100+ transmitter too though cause I dont have any other transmitters.

I like that heli too. I guess if I go any bigger, I better be good at flying so I dont crash too often.
As I mentioned before, IMO you cant really compare the two - it is FBL and (at least in my eyes) A LOT more challenging than the V911
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 04, 2012, 09:30 PM
Cranky old fart
Germantown, WI.
Joined Oct 2007
21,486 Posts
A flybarless heli does not have the movement and performance limitations of a 45° flybar heli, responds much faster and is not inclined to self-level. It's quite a different beast.
Old Jul 05, 2012, 03:23 PM
Don't Drink & Fly
United States, OH
Joined Jun 2012
346 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Balr14 View Post
A flybarless heli does not have the movement and performance limitations of a 45° flybar heli, responds much faster and is not inclined to self-level. It's quite a different beast.
Ok, thanks. I thought that "maybe" the flybarless ones had a more advanced gyro to compensate.
Old Jul 05, 2012, 03:26 PM
Cranky old fart
Germantown, WI.
Joined Oct 2007
21,486 Posts
Quote:
Ok, thanks. I thought that "maybe" the flybarless ones had a more advanced gyro to compensate.
It has a 3 axis gyro and may have other electronic assists, depending on what you pay for.
Old Jul 06, 2012, 01:40 PM
Don't Drink & Fly
United States, OH
Joined Jun 2012
346 Posts
hopefully someone can answer this here (or should I start a new topic?):

I purchased one of the V911 Aluminum swashplate kits on ebay. The section that the blades slide over is not a large of diameter as the plastic factory piece, will they have too much play to work?

Old Jul 06, 2012, 02:47 PM
Cranky old fart
Germantown, WI.
Joined Oct 2007
21,486 Posts
If you mean there's a lot of slop in the blades, the answer is maybe. The blades attach to each other, so there's no movement there. If the linkage from the swashplate to the blades is good, you shouldn't have an issue. But excess wear or damage anywhere in the chain could be harmful. You aren't talking about a $500 heli, this is not a precision instrument.
Old Jul 06, 2012, 02:52 PM
Joined Mar 2009
9,392 Posts
Quote:
hopefully someone can answer this here (or should I start a new topic?):

I purchased one of the V911 Aluminum swashplate kits on ebay. The section that the blades slide over is not a large of diameter as the plastic factory piece, will they have too much play to work?

This problem is solved the easiest by getting the right blades! what you bought is an aluminum kit for a SP260 from NE. The pivot pins of the SP260 have a smaller diameter than those of the V911, hence the blades actually have a smaller whole. What youŽd need to do is get the SP260 blades and they will "fit like a glove".
RCG Plus Member