SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
This thread is privately moderated by hone1er, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Jul 03, 2012, 01:03 PM
Team Twisted!
United States, CA, Hercules
Joined Dec 2011
4,319 Posts
Discussion
My Hanger

UPDATE: I've gone from a lot of planes i like to a few that i love. All that's left is the Extreme Flight 60'' Extra EXP, 64'' MXS EXP, and of course a 32'' Extra Slick from Twisted Hobbies.

Currently saving for a 30cc gasser but haven't decided which one to get yet
hone1er is online now Find More Posts by hone1er
Last edited by hone1er; Sep 10, 2012 at 04:17 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 06, 2012, 03:34 PM
SoCal fair weather flyer
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Jan 2012
2,959 Posts
As a step up from the buck huck, cost being a consideration, which of these would you recommend?

3dhs 47'' Extra SHP

3dhs 51'' Slick
Bloosee is offline Find More Posts by Bloosee
Old Jul 06, 2012, 03:42 PM
Team Twisted!
Joined Dec 2011
4,319 Posts
I guess it depends how comfortable you are with the buck huck. If you can handle it so well it's almost a bore to fly get the 51'' because it can be a handful but is super sick. The SHP is definitely more mellow than the Slick but is still a great airframe. The Slick can be $100-200 more to setup and needs 4s 2500 packs at least. While the SHP is more budget friendly and is still very capable and fun. The SHP is best with the omega 130 and 3s 2200 packs.The Slick is a big step up in performance while the SHP is a middle ground between the Edge and Slick. Actually the SHP will probably feel mellow compared to the Edge too. The edge rolled faster and was twitchier. I prefer the Slick over the SHP but the SHP is definitely a fun plane and probably a little easier to fly because the power isn't as insane. One thing i will say is bigger flies better so don't be intimidated by size because every time i've gone up it size the planes become more stable.
Old Jul 09, 2012, 11:29 PM
SoCal fair weather flyer
Joined Jan 2012
2,959 Posts
Very interesting, thank you for the reply. I just maidened my Edge last week, its a handful compared to all my foamys. Maybe its just nerves. Feels so much quicker in every way than any foam plane I've flown.

I was debating the two since I hear so much about the Slick being so great, but if it's not mellow, then the intimidation factor would be quite high with the dollars invested, its certainly a step up in cost that's for sure.
Old Jul 10, 2012, 02:07 AM
Team Twisted!
Joined Dec 2011
4,319 Posts
Yeah the slick is a beast but very stable and goes exactly where you point it. It's funny you said the Edge is a handful compared to your foamys because i wrote the same thing in my blog about the Edge aha. The SHP is a good choice for sure though you wouldn't be disappointed with it just get the omega 130 not the omega 103 for it and some 3s 2200s and that plane with be super fun. It is much smoother than the Edge and much less twitchy and more precise. Maybe not as durable as the Edge but i don't know many balsa planes that are. I would also say you should take a look at the EF Edge because you can run it on 4s 2500 packs which you can use in the 51 slick when you feel ready to get it. The EF Edge is stupid easy to 3d and i haven't even put on the SFGs which should make it even more stable. If you get that plane though i suggest getting the landing gear from their extra because it is stronger.
Old Jul 10, 2012, 01:21 PM
SoCal fair weather flyer
Joined Jan 2012
2,959 Posts
Well thanks again. I think this helped a lot. I doubt I'll be ready for the Slick anytime soon. I really don't get enough flight time in. Right now I'm trying to imagine being able to fly the Edge like I fly my foamies, when I say foamies I talking about 3S 36 inch Techones, not the lightweight TH's 32 inch models which I have two of.

Maybe after a couple hundred Edge flights (if I can keep it one piece) I'll pick up the SHP, and go from there. I like that the SHP runs the plentiful and cheap 3S 2200 packs.

I think once I step up to the next size I'll need to fly at the RC field, to big for urban parks, even the Edge is pushing the envelope.

Where do you fly your big ones?
Old Jul 13, 2012, 09:54 AM
Team Twisted!
Joined Dec 2011
4,319 Posts
I have a fairly big field 5 minutes from my house maybe 2 football fields long. It's not an official flying site, just some open land right off the bay. It's a nice place to fly.
Old Jul 29, 2012, 05:02 PM
SoCal fair weather flyer
Joined Jan 2012
2,959 Posts
Your lucky to have a nice place to fly. I fly in city parks and come September they are all covered with soccer games every weekend. I can fly my smaller planes with games going on but anything of size is out of the question.
Old Jul 29, 2012, 06:33 PM
Suspended Account
United States, VA, Ashburn
Joined Apr 2012
2,784 Posts
Why do you like better, SHP or 51" Slick?
RCAddict16 is offline Find More Posts by RCAddict16
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Jul 29, 2012, 07:06 PM
Team Twisted!
Joined Dec 2011
4,319 Posts
For a relaxing flight or first balsa the SHP. For something a little more extreme the slick. They both fly great but the SHP is easier to fly.
Old Jul 29, 2012, 10:28 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Apr 2012
2,784 Posts
Ok thanks is it just me or are the slick's wings really small? Just the pics I guess...... and geez....... your poor ES
Old Jul 29, 2012, 10:57 PM
Team Twisted!
Joined Dec 2011
4,319 Posts
The wings on the Slick are much smaller than your average 3D plane. Small wings and a big fuselage, that's the Slick

And yeah that ES has seen better days
Old Jul 30, 2012, 02:16 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Apr 2012
2,784 Posts
And why wuld that be? (The smaller wings)
Old Jul 30, 2012, 02:51 PM
Team Twisted!
Joined Dec 2011
4,319 Posts
Not sure but it works well! I bet the small wings are part of the reason this plane gets sooo many rotations on pop-tops and blenders. Less resistance.