SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jul 03, 2012, 11:58 AM
United States, TN
Joined Mar 2011
1,405 Posts
Discussion
Sig Kadet Senior - ARF. Good For A Newbie?

I'm looking at this plane as my next plane after soloing with an Apprentice 15e, I've been actively flying my Apprentice for almost a year now: http://www.sigmfg.com/IndexText/SIGRC58ARFB.html

I like big planes. I don't have any experience building planes so I'm concerned about my capabilities in installing the servos and electric motor setup etc. in the Kadet. I am able to handle tools and did build some balsa models when I was a kid back in the dark ages.

Could I be getting in over my head with the Sig Kadet Senior ARF?

Thank you.
itsme2 is offline Find More Posts by itsme2
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 03, 2012, 12:06 PM
Suspended Account
United States, VA, Ashburn
Joined Apr 2012
2,784 Posts
As long as you use the recommended equipment, the build will be very easy. All you really have to do is hinge the control surface, bolt the motor and servos in , install the velcro for the battery, ESC, and recievers, assemble the pushrods and glue the horns. That might sound like a lot but it won't take more than a few hours. Just make sure to have thin and medium CA, 5 minute epoxy, and the correct screwdrivers.
RCAddict16 is offline Find More Posts by RCAddict16
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Jul 03, 2012, 12:20 PM
Yea, I fly dusty planes..
United States, LA, Angie
Joined Apr 2009
2,052 Posts
I recently got one from a buddy of mine and it's an easy plane to fly, just BIG! His was a gas to electric conversion and there was no battery access which made battery connection and so on tough. It's a floaty airplane and needs lots of room. Mine has a 60 in it running a 6S lipo. Nice looking plane too. ZEE
zeezee is offline Find More Posts by zeezee
Old Jul 03, 2012, 12:21 PM
United Kingdom, England, Brighton
Joined Apr 2007
1,133 Posts
If you've got the hang of the Apprentice you'll have no problem flying the Kadet, but remember that you may need a bigger field, longer take-off/landing space etc. I assume you'll go electric, not glow.

Like RCAddict says, use the recommended radio gear and motor and follow the instructions. Plenty of people on RCG to help if you get stuck.

The only thing is that you might find flying the Kadet is very similar to the Apprentice - have you considered a low wing 'trainer' plane?

I also prefer bigger planes these days. Good luck
DeeBee1 is offline Find More Posts by DeeBee1
Old Jul 03, 2012, 12:31 PM
United States, OR, Canby
Joined Aug 2011
2,204 Posts
I have the Word Models version of this plane, glow powered. Not hard to assemble and flies nice and it is big.

It will not be a step up in flying skill for you though, just a little different, so if you want more of a challenge then a low wing would be the next step. If all you are looking for is BIG then go for it
600Bob is offline Find More Posts by 600Bob
Old Jul 03, 2012, 12:39 PM
United States, LA, Angie
Joined Apr 2009
2,052 Posts
He's right about being the same type of plane. I have a Hanger 9 Piper Pawnee with a 80" w.s. and a power 80 w/6S in it. But it will fly with a 46 and a 4S setup just fine. I plan on towing gliders with mine. It is basicly a low wing Super Cub. Same tail and wing and it's a blast to fly!! Super easy to build and only the rudder to hinge! It has available flaps too. It will cover all the types of flying you need. Believe it or not there is a warbird YOU can fly also and that is the Hanger 9 40 size P-51 w/60" w.s. I have one and it flys like a trainer ask anyone who has one. It will also fly balls to the wall! I love mine.
Last edited by zeezee; Jul 03, 2012 at 12:44 PM.
Old Jul 03, 2012, 02:01 PM
Suspended Account
United States, VA, Ashburn
Joined Apr 2012
2,784 Posts
Geez zeezee....... you must be stinkin rich
RCAddict16 is offline Find More Posts by RCAddict16
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Jul 03, 2012, 03:39 PM
United States, LA, Angie
Joined Apr 2009
2,052 Posts
Believe it or not I live on a small SS income and I do without alot so that I can be in this hobby. You have to prioritise. This makes it all worthwhile. I'm in a good place ZEE
Old Aug 07, 2012, 07:11 PM
DeBary, FL
Joined Nov 2010
1,559 Posts
I found your post while looking for a more generic Senior thread and it's a little dated but I have $0.3 for ya.

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsme2 View Post
I'm looking at this plane as my next plane after soloing with an Apprentice 15e, I've been actively flying my Apprentice for almost a year now: http://www.sigmfg.com/IndexText/SIGRC58ARFB.html

I like big planes. I don't have any experience building planes so I'm concerned about my capabilities in installing the servos and electric motor setup etc. in the Kadet. I am able to handle tools and did build some balsa models when I was a kid back in the dark ages.

Could I be getting in over my head with the Sig Kadet Senior ARF?
Nope, perfect. I've been flying only coming up on 2 years. Mostly self taught, no instructor as such but with help/guidance from a ton of extremely experienced builders/pilots.

By coincidence I just maidened my electric Senior last week. Got it second hand. The previous owner had converted it to taildragger, and used fuel, and I converted it to electric. First flight was 99% perfect.

I've seen a *ton* of people learn on Apprentice, that was a great choice.

Back in the day the Senior was The Trainer, standard issue. It's handling/flight behavior slightly more advanced than Apprentice. It's docile yet still mildly aerobatic. The performance you get will be a factor of what power system you use. Mine is way overpowered because I got a good deal on a used Hacker A-60 22s. Trainers are traditionally underpowered but that's not always the best idea because it leaves little spare power to get out of tight spots where it might help if needed.

There are threads that suggest power ratios for different flying styles. With that info see http://www.ecalc.ch/motorcalc_e.htm to pick an exact motor/esc/battery/prop combination. If you have a good LHS they should be very helpful.

Since you're doing a lot of the build and it's not a true RTF like Apprentice I suggest having a more experienced pilot do a thorough preflight inspection and the first flight. There may be details you miss in construction/setup. Since this your second plane a more experienced pilot will be better able to handle initial trim problems that could easily confuse/panic an inexperienced pilot.

Senior needs more space simply because it's bigger, but in a -scale- sense flies about as fast as trainers. Given the sheer size it doesn't 'look fast' and it doesn't -behave- fast.

I was kinda surprised at my first flight with it. The taxiway is about 4'. I have flown a 50" Yak and it looked pretty big. the 80" looked like a *MONSTER*. But, out on the runway it actually looked not much bigger than the Yak. Not sure why that perception thing happened but someday I'll go with both Yak and Senior and look at the differences.

BTW, also a matter of size, the expression '3 mistakes high' really is twice as high as a 40" plane. LOL! Personally, until I'm very familiar with a plane, I prefer about 2x that or 6 mistakes high. Maybe 8. LOL! But because it's so much larger it doesn't -look- very high and you'll be able to see it fine. And because it handles like a pussycat I *promise* you'll do excellently with it. Senior is an awesome excellent trainer.
jbarchuk is offline Find More Posts by jbarchuk
Old Aug 08, 2012, 02:23 AM
United States, OR, The Dalles
Joined Apr 2011
1,292 Posts
I also have a Kadet Sr, older kit built I got used, tail dragger, flaps, unreliable 1.00 nitro.

I find the thing flies well, and is quite floaty in landing. To me, the Apprentice is better at basic aerobatics.

Sig has a reputation for excellent directions in both kits and ARF, so I don't think you could pick a better brand for a first ARF.

I recently built the Rascal 110" ARF, and the build quality, covering job, and directions are excellent.

Let us know how it worked out.
JeffinTD is offline Find More Posts by JeffinTD
Old Aug 08, 2012, 07:06 AM
Terry Dunn
United States, TX, Lubbock
Joined Jan 2001
844 Posts
I'm building a Kadet Sr ARF now...started it last night actually. I don't think you'll have any problems getting together. As mentioned, the Sig manuals are excellent. Yes, it has a few typos, but it wont let you forget to do anything. It's very thorough.

As for the kit, I'm impressed so far. The only snag has been the difficulty threading the nosewheel pushrod wire into the inner sleeve of the flexrod. That's pretty trivial stuff.

Let it be noted that they only show you one motor mounting method and do not provide the parts for that method. Any deviation also requires improvisation...but that's how we develop new skills.

For what it's worth, I'll be using an E-flite power 32 on 4S-5000, and that's still more motor than they recommend. I justified the bigger motor because:
1. I have it
2. I plan to haul gliders and/or cameras
If you just want to use the Kadet as a sport plane, I suggest you use their recommended motor (or similar) and keep it light.

Terry
mopar_man is offline Find More Posts by mopar_man
Old Aug 09, 2012, 11:47 PM
Arizona Fun
Casa Grande Arizona
Joined Mar 2010
303 Posts
Think about putting a Saito 56 four stroke in it. I had one and it was fantastic!
ArizonaFun is offline Find More Posts by ArizonaFun
Old Aug 14, 2012, 09:13 PM
Joined Jul 2007
42 Posts
I suggest building the Kit. The materials are much better quality and you will be proud of your creation. Not only that you will save two hundred dollars over the price of the Chinese version
celltech is offline Find More Posts by celltech
Old Aug 19, 2012, 11:59 AM
Tucson
Joined Nov 2009
955 Posts
The Kadet family of planes are good high wing trainers. SIG has a great reputation for well flying planes.

Although the Kadet/Seniorita will float, it is big, and will not turn on a dime, and needs power to do vertical stuff. If you're going electric, you could easily put a 1500 watt motor on it and run it with sport voltage (4S). Once you get used to it, and the fear is gone, then you will have the power to add 6S batteries and do some really interesting stuff.

The Kadet is a nice choice.
wuest3141 is offline Find More Posts by wuest3141
Old Aug 19, 2012, 05:50 PM
Terry Dunn
United States, TX, Lubbock
Joined Jan 2001
844 Posts
I maidened mine yesterday. It did very well at 7lb 1oz, with 682 watts (Power32/4S-5000/13x6.5). Plenty of vertical and speed. I may go to a 14x5 for aerotow, but I'm sure it would work as-is. 14" is about as big as I dare go on the prop without lengthening the nose strut...and I use a very smooth asphalt runway.

Here's some video from the 3rd flight. It didn't mind the 90-degree crosswind much at all.
Sig Kadet Sr with GoPro (4 min 56 sec)

Terry
mopar_man is offline Find More Posts by mopar_man
Last edited by mopar_man; Aug 19, 2012 at 07:55 PM.