HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 03, 2012, 11:41 AM
Joined May 2010
959 Posts
Discussion
Do I need worry about inducted voltages when adding LED's to ESC battery?

So I just built an a/c to try my hand at dusk/night flying, and wired up a few feet of the "tape led's" all over the airplane. I just read this:
http://www.rcmf.co.uk/4um/index.php/...m87kstnbn2oee0
A great article on the voltage rise due to inductance of input currents to the esc. I have not extended the wires however, but added about 8 watts worth of leds.
I know lots of people do this, and I have not seen any reports of failures.
But it seems to me there must be times when the supply voltage is over 12 volts in this setup (3 cell) and perhaps putting the LED's at risk? I'm sure the risk grows non linear w/ respect to esc wire length, just wondering if anyone has had issues with this.
Deadstick 8409 is offline Find More Posts by Deadstick 8409
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 04, 2012, 03:05 AM
Wherever you go there you are
United States, MN, Minneapolis
Joined Nov 2011
8,448 Posts
See below
7oneWo1f is online now Find More Posts by 7oneWo1f
Last edited by 7oneWo1f; Jul 04, 2012 at 11:17 AM. Reason: not what he asked
Old Jul 04, 2012, 09:02 AM
USA, MO, Florissant
Joined Nov 2010
1,722 Posts
If you connected the wires from the LEDs directly to the circuit board of the ESC, there will be a small ripple voltage; as noted, the quality of the capacitors on the ESC will determine how large the ripple is. This will create a corresponding ripple in the current through the LEDs, but will be insignificant to the life of the LEDs. The peak operating current of an LED is a few, to several, times the nominal, best efficiency value, and that ripple will be far below the peak.
Wintr is offline Find More Posts by Wintr
Old Sep 08, 2012, 09:15 PM
Joined Dec 2010
228 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadstick 8409 View Post
So I just built an a/c to try my hand at dusk/night flying, and wired up a few feet of the "tape led's" all over the airplane. I just read this:
http://www.rcmf.co.uk/4um/index.php/...m87kstnbn2oee0
A great article on the voltage rise due to inductance of input currents to the esc. I have not extended the wires however, but added about 8 watts worth of leds.
I know lots of people do this, and I have not seen any reports of failures.
But it seems to me there must be times when the supply voltage is over 12 volts in this setup (3 cell) and perhaps putting the LED's at risk? I'm sure the risk grows non linear w/ respect to esc wire length, just wondering if anyone has had issues with this.
Hi, I"m interested in reading this article, but don't want to open up an account with these guys to read it. Can you perhaps copy and past it here?
panther3001 is offline Find More Posts by panther3001