SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jul 03, 2012, 12:39 PM
Registered Crasher
United States, TX, Coppell
Joined Feb 2011
2,226 Posts
Discussion
Hmmm, which PZ warbird should I get?

I'm itching for something a little more interesting to fly, and that can handle the normally 10-15mph winds around here with ease.

I want to go with ParkZone, as parts are readily available in case I crash it (I've mostly stopped crashing, but I'm still pretty new at this).

I'm not the best pilot, but I'm not terrible anymore... once I figured out how to windsurf. My current stable is the following:
- UM T-28 (gets most of my flight time when calm, but getting a little boring, and really boring in the wind)
- UM Su26 XP (on its way)
- Skyartec C-182, with gyro stabilization (GA250), lots of time on this one, too. This has flaps and is about 60% epoxy at this point.
- E-Flite Apprentice (a few uneventful flights)
- HK Kinetic 800 (well, fubar, but I've got another ARF on the shelf, and tons of parts)
- Slow stick (not really interested in 3ch any more)

You'll notice there aren't any non-micro warbirds there, and I don't have any experience with them yet.

I'm thinking of getting the PZ P47 w/ flaps/retracts as my next flier. It handles wind good, looks nice, and my wife's great uncle flew one so it's on my TODO list already.

However, I've always wanted a Spit as well. How is the PZ spit it in the wind? Is it that much more difficult to handle?

Tell me about the PZ P51. Don't hear much about it, but I'm guessing that's because P51's are overused and everyone is sick of them (I'm almost in that boat, too).

I usually fly at a vacant lot near my house, which has a pretty good runway, but it's got curbing, a light pole, hydrant, etc. So I need to know how hard crosswind T/O will be with these tail draggers. The field is about 500'x700'. The local club field has better grass for landing, and is a little bigger, but it's way too busy for my skills at the moment (crazy traffic).

I prefer to use my Aurora9 TX, but I also use a DX7 when I have to.

It's also worth noting I have a big stash of GA250 gyros and DXI213f digital servos, should I need to increase the wind handling. I mostly just use gyro on aileron to keep the wing from tipping, but I've heard of it being used on rudder for tail-dragging warbirds. I may try that out to deal with crosswinds better.

So what's the consensus on where to go next?
jtaylor996 is offline Find More Posts by jtaylor996
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 03, 2012, 12:43 PM
Suspended Account
United States, VA, Ashburn
Joined Apr 2012
2,784 Posts
the spit is the best in the wind due to it's low profile, i love it for the looks and grace etc..... P47 is for when you want rock solid stability... both are great planes, its just a matter of personal preference.
RCAddict16 is offline Find More Posts by RCAddict16
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Jul 03, 2012, 12:51 PM
Prescott, Arizona
Joined Feb 2010
6,763 Posts
+1 on the P-47. With it's wide stance it is well mannered on the ground. You do have to use the rudder to keep it going straight on take off.
The PZ P51 is a belly lander unless you want to add your own landing gear.
TripleW is offline Find More Posts by TripleW
Old Jul 03, 2012, 01:04 PM
United States, NY, Queens
Joined Oct 2005
2,862 Posts
The P-47 and the Spitfire are very similar in their flying characteristics except for one thing, the P-47 has flaps that you can easily set-up while the Spitfire does not. The P-47, with the flaps down, is a piece of cake to land. The Spitfire must come in at a much faster rate of speed and takes a very long roll-out to bring to a stop.

The Mustang, if you add landing gear, is a pure joy to fly. It's smaller size allows you to fly it in a smaller area. I believe that both the Spitfire and P-47 are faster than the Mustang, but due to its smaller size the Mustang feels faster.

If you can only get one, I would advise the P-47.
Leo L is offline Find More Posts by Leo L
Old Jul 03, 2012, 01:10 PM
Registered Crasher
Joined Feb 2011
2,226 Posts
Hmm, long roll out doesn't sound too good with the field I usually fly at, so it's leaning towards the P47.

I just looked at HK's website. How do the 1100mm size Durafly warbirds compare to the PZ planes? I'm thinking it's not enough delta in price to go with HK, but I've heard the Durafly planes are nice.
Old Jul 03, 2012, 01:12 PM
Registered Crasher
Joined Feb 2011
2,226 Posts
Also, dang! $85 for the Eflite retracts?? That's steep. Are there cheaper alternatives to these?
Old Jul 03, 2012, 01:15 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Apr 2012
2,784 Posts
They're alright. I buy from horizon only because crashes do happen, and parts availability is an important factor when buying a plane.
Old Jul 03, 2012, 01:34 PM
Registered Crasher
Joined Feb 2011
2,226 Posts
Also, I use Gens Ace 3s 3300's on my apprentice. I don't think I have any 2200's, but maybe I've got one around. Will the 3300's work on the PZ P47?
Old Jul 03, 2012, 06:12 PM
Registered Crasher
Joined Feb 2011
2,226 Posts
Ok, from input here, and some more research on the other threads, it looks like I'll be going with the ParkZone P47, with the PZ retracts.

The only question now is whether to get the airframe or PNP version. If I go airframe, I can use digital servos, and be ready to put gyros on, if I feel like it's required. Also, I'd be using a UBEC setup, to ensure no brownouts (not sure if this is an issue using a Hitec receiver with the SPC connector, though).

What are the stock PZ servos on this? I have plenty EXI D213F servos around, would they work for this plane?

I'd be using a G15 easymatch motor, and maybe the hobby-lobby 4 blade prop. What KV?

Thanks for all your help! Also, let me know if I should go ahead and move this discussion over to the P47 thread.
Old Jul 03, 2012, 06:36 PM
Your Pilot Ryan
United States, IN, South Bend
Joined Nov 2008
3,401 Posts
My advice is to go pnp, fly it first get comfortable, then hop it up if you get bored. I've got a lot of flights 120 and nearly 300 landings on mine. All stock. No trouble with servos. I use 2650 lipos but i have fit 3300 in there before, plenty of room just mind your cg. Go to the jug thread, lots of good info there. The jug is a great choice, it has all the bells and whistles plus flies so good. I think it is the most well behaved warbird out there.
ryramZ is offline Find More Posts by ryramZ
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 03, 2012, 10:12 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Apr 2012
2,784 Posts
3300 would work. Just keep in mind you may have to shave a bit of foam for the CG, and the wing loading will have increased a bit, so the plane won't glide as well and it will stall at a higher speed. Basically don't glide at less than a 45 degree angle, untill you straighten out for touchdown.
Old Jul 04, 2012, 12:25 AM
St. Louis
USA, MO, Ballwin
Joined Mar 2010
634 Posts
If you have seen the flimsy retracts on the HK planes you will realize the Eflite retracts are a a bargain at $85. They are rugged and well engineered.

I can't tell you how many HK airplanes with retracts have collapsed during skilled landings. This usually messed up the retract itself, the strut, or the mounting requiring a complete upgrade of the major components. None of the HK retracts will survive a roll-off into the grass. Never seen it happen.

Recently witnessed a HK P-38 expertly flown (a really good flying airplane) and not one landing without a collapse. Repeatedly repaired but never successfully landed even when kissing the runway. Needless to say, you have a one trip to the field...one flight airplane.

You like retracts...consider the EFlites the entry level cost.
Foambird is offline Find More Posts by Foambird
Old Jul 04, 2012, 12:42 AM
Registered Crasher
Joined Feb 2011
2,226 Posts
Makes sense to me. E-Flite it is.
Old Jul 04, 2012, 04:53 AM
United States, AZ, Phoenix
Joined Dec 2010
109 Posts
nevermind
Boelcke is offline Find More Posts by Boelcke
Last edited by Boelcke; Jul 05, 2012 at 10:08 AM. Reason: grammer
Old Jul 05, 2012, 11:31 PM
2 Fast 2 Low & 2 Loud
United States, CA, Winchester
Joined Nov 2011
3,290 Posts
My vote is for the Eflite retracts on the Thunderbolt.
I have the Spit with Eflites too but the 47 is the easier to fly, taxi, & land in the wind....
scootrb4 is offline Find More Posts by scootrb4