HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 03, 2012, 11:33 AM
Joined Dec 2011
96 Posts
Discussion
RC Camera IR Remote Shutter

Hi,

I made Infra Red camera trigger that controlled by 1 of spare channel from the RX. Bellow is the demo video:

RC camera trigger by www.sgdrone.com (0 min 17 sec)

This little device should work with Camera that support IR remote from Brand like Canon, Nikon, Minolta, Sony, Olympus and Pentax.

Anyone interested on this device?
yovio is offline Find More Posts by yovio
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 04, 2012, 09:25 AM
Vermont
Joined Dec 2003
840 Posts
The problem is most manufacturers don't make their camera's with IR remotes, or remotes for that matter. I wish they did.
spacecase is offline Find More Posts by spacecase
Old Jul 04, 2012, 09:57 AM
Joined Dec 2011
96 Posts
I have a plan to modify this device to use remote connector as most camera manufactur use Wired remote shutter.

Just need to source out the connector. I saw some product selling this kind of remote for upto $100. I think I can make it for less than $50.
Old Jul 04, 2012, 08:47 PM
Australia, NSW, Sydney
Joined Apr 2006
2,154 Posts
Are you going to tell us how it was made?

Some IR remotes have 4 or more functions. Is it possible with your device?
Psionic001 is offline Find More Posts by Psionic001
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 05, 2012, 04:06 AM
Joined May 2011
56 Posts
I would be interested, I noted there is a website in France selling these but there for specific manufactures
Capello1986 is offline Find More Posts by Capello1986
Old Jul 05, 2012, 08:29 AM
Joined Dec 2011
96 Posts
Basically how it works is, the device will measure the PWM values from RX. The PWM values will be devided onto 4 different range to accomodate 4 different command send to the camera. When the device receive the PWM within specific range, it will simulate the Infra Red command and send Infrared signal to the camera.

In order to send 4 different PWM range we will need TX that can configured to use combination of switch to send different values to 1 channel.

This device can be use for 6 different camera brand at the moment (Nikon, Canon, Pentax, Sony, Olympus, Minolta), so you dont have to buy seperate remote for different camera.

Bellow are the features/commands supported for different camera brand:

1. Nikon:
Imediate Shutter.
2. Canon:
Imediate Shutter.
Delayed Shutter.
3. Nikon:
Imediate Shutter.
4. Olympus:
Imediate Shutter.
Zoom-In
Zoom-Out
5. Sony:
Imediate Shutter.
Delayed Shutter.
6. Minolta:
Imediate Shutter.
Delayed Shutter.

The device size is very small, its a square device as big as 2.5cm x 2.5 cm.

Eventhough its DIY project, its using professionally printed PCB.
Old Jul 05, 2012, 10:55 AM
Vermont
Joined Dec 2003
840 Posts
If you look at non DSLR camera's Canon has no IR remote on their line, Nikon has 2 or so.
When you go to DSLR there is a wired remote that you can easily hack into, wired is ideal. IR remotes are usually on pedestrian cameras. Pentax is the only one that has most of their cameras with IR remotes. Its a great project don't get me wrong. It also would be helpful if anyone selling a remote like this could provide a list of what models exactly work with it.
spacecase is offline Find More Posts by spacecase