HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 03, 2012, 07:56 AM
United States, CT, Stamford
Joined Jan 2007
825 Posts
Discussion
Will my PL8 charge a 2 cell pack that has no balance tap?

Hello all

Basically I was thinking of running out and getting one of the new Blade 130X helos and that comes with a 2 cell LiPo but has no balance tap.

As that is probably all I could get today for it (if they even have any extras), I was just wondering either for say the #6 preset, or some other way, if can I charge those (obviously thru the discharge lines of the pack alone) with my PL8?

Or even with just a 2 cell, do I need to have a balance tap so the charger can know it's a two cell and not some over-volted single cell?

Thanks for any help.
WBFAir is offline Find More Posts by WBFAir
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 03, 2012, 10:19 AM
USA
Joined Jan 2002
4,860 Posts
Yes, you can charge a 2s non-balanced pack with the PL8 using the special preset for this.
Ohmic is online now Find More Posts by Ohmic
Old Jul 03, 2012, 11:08 AM
Joined Jan 2007
825 Posts
Thanks for the reply on this Pete

Just out of curiosity, do you know how it does this?

In other words, I would have to think with just the stuff I know, that a charger knows what cell count a pack has based on seeing voltage from the balance taps and based upon seeing that, count how many are being reported.

Again, don't know if that's true per say but the PL8 (or maybe they all do this) for this mode to work, must base this on total voltage?
Old Jul 03, 2012, 11:40 AM
USA
Joined Jan 2002
4,860 Posts
Nothing magical about it. It only works on 1s/2s packs. It just looks a total pack voltage to determine whether it's 1s or 2s.
Ohmic is online now Find More Posts by Ohmic
Old Jul 03, 2012, 01:00 PM
Joined Jan 2007
825 Posts
Gottcha, thanks for the info Pete.
Old Jul 04, 2012, 05:02 AM
Expo/DualRates = Lack of Skill
San Diego, CA
Joined Mar 2009
790 Posts
The battery does have a balance tap, do not charge unbalanced!

You can make an adapter for your PL8 by soldering a B3B-PH-KL connector to a CPBP7 pigtail. You'll need to use the CellPro balance adapter that should have come with your PL8. This option utilizes the PL8 node-only charging.

You can also solder the B3B-PH-KL to a CPBP9P-10 pigtail (instead of the above pigtail) to plug the adapter directly into your PL8. This option utilizes the PL8 node-only charging.

The following two options eliminate the need to solder, but you'll need to buy the adapter that is compatible with your PL8 balance adapter (Thunder Power or JST-XH).

http://www.e-fliterc.com/Products/De...odID=EFLA700UM

http://www.e-fliterc.com/Products/De...dID=EFLA7001UM

There are also parallel adapters available, to charge multiple batteries at once.
typeRA is online now Find More Posts by typeRA
Old Jul 04, 2012, 02:19 PM
Seattle
Joined Sep 2007
2,247 Posts
The ThunderPower G6 325mah 2s pack (TP325-2SPP65J) has a two wire discharge connector and no balance connecter. When I read the OPs question I assumed that was the pack he wanted to charge.

I also looked at this pack for my 130x. As I had intended on charging them on parallel, the unbalanced preset may not have been suitable as it has a 2 amp limit. Plus, I really don't like parallel charging without balance leads.

Luckily RCBabbel is modifying these packs to have balance connectors while reducing the pack weight http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/member.php?u=54990

This is the parallel board I'm using. I did modify the interconnect cable by cutting off the JST-XH 2s connector and replacing it with a 9 pin FMA pigtail. That configuration makes it compatible with both the Powerlab6 and the Powerlab8.
http://epbuddy.com/index.php?main_pa...roducts_id=348
Gregor99 is online now Find More Posts by Gregor99
Old Jul 05, 2012, 12:39 AM
Seattle
Joined Sep 2007
2,247 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregor99 View Post
This is the parallel board I'm using. I did modify the interconnect cable by cutting off the JST-XH 2s connector and replacing it with a 9 pin FMA pigtail. That configuration makes it compatible with both the Powerlab6 and the Powerlab8.
http://epbuddy.com/index.php?main_pa...roducts_id=348
I finally got to test this board today. Though it does work quite well, it turns out that not all lines are fused. Only cell1-postive and cell2-positive. Negative is not fused. As a result the IR values are on cell #2 are incorrect. Yes, I am using FMA wiring mode and yes, the red wire is in pin 9 on the balance connector that goes into the charger.
Gregor99 is online now Find More Posts by Gregor99