Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Reply
Thread Tools
Old Jul 16, 2001, 05:49 PM
Registered User
Garland, Texas
Joined Jul 2000
339 Posts
Coverage of electric planes in M.A.N.

Did anyone notice the amount of coverage that model airplane news has given the electric planes in the newest issue (september) the amount of advertisment for electric related planes is way up as well. Including a advertisment for the new great planes lil polk, which looks like a for sure in my near future


Lynn
Rekit is offline Find More Posts by Rekit
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 16, 2001, 06:29 PM
Most Exalted Windbag
Newark, DE USA
Joined May 2001
1,632 Posts
I finally got a Hobby Lobby catalog in the mail. They have it divided into "electric" and "glow" sections. The electric section is first and goes 6 pages past the middle.

Woohoo

RB
Red Baron 47 is offline Find More Posts by Red Baron 47
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 16, 2001, 11:32 PM
Registered User
Rhode Island
Joined Oct 2000
585 Posts
More electric coverage and more electric ads, huh? Hmm, wonder which is the cause and which is the effect
BobK is offline Find More Posts by BobK
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 17, 2001, 02:19 AM
HobbyKing
Paul Susbauer's Avatar
Hong Kong, Hong Kong Island, Hong Kong
Joined Apr 2001
4,491 Posts
I thought the newest MAN, was one of the worst I've seen, not because of electric coverage, but because everything, at a casual glance through the magazine, appears to be an ad. Its not easy to flip through and find an actual article. The reviews of planes were very similar to ads the way they break things up.

Everything is in color now, so thats part of it. What I mean is that in the various columns, all the pictures are color where as before they were in B&W making it easier to find.

Also, in the kit reviews all the pictures are in color, not just the first pics at the beginning of the review.

The Staggerbee review (very good for the record) had way too many pictures of the same thing, there was at least two bare bones pictures of it in the opening pages of the review. Totally unneccessary.

The MRC/EZ Mustang, look at the opening pics of it in the review. They have a good picture on the left side, but then on the right they waste a whole page just for a picture that isn't very good, as they got the side with the 4 stroke muffler hanging out, and the pic is at an angle that makes it appear huge, they didn't put any writing or any thing on that page. This is totally wasted space. They waste too much space in that magazine. I have a subscription, and I'm considering cancelling, it an getting S& E modeler which is bette suited for the planes I fly (not a bunch of box trainers)

Sorry for the length of this response but I feel it necessary, to point out something like this. Several other locals thought the same and the concerns I have voiced above have been voiced in a telephone conversation to Gerry Yarrish by my boss who writes occasional articles for MAN.

--Paul

BTW, the hobby lobby catalog is awesome, somehow they sent me two of them. Oh well.
Paul Susbauer is offline Find More Posts by Paul Susbauer
Site Sponsor
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 17, 2001, 03:41 AM
Registered User
Zebulon, NC
Joined Aug 2000
5,086 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by RC_Eflyer:
I thought the newest MAN, was one of the worst I've seen, not because of electric coverage, but because everything, at a casual glance through the magazine, appears to be an ad. Its not easy to flip through and find an actual article. The reviews of planes were very similar to ads the way they break things up.

Everything is in color now, so thats part of it. What I mean is that in the various columns, all the pictures are color where as before they were in B&W making it easier to find.

Also, in the kit reviews all the pictures are in color, not just the first pics at the beginning of the review.

The Staggerbee review (very good for the record) had way too many pictures of the same thing, there was at least two bare bones pictures of it in the opening pages of the review. Totally unneccessary.

The MRC/EZ Mustang, look at the opening pics of it in the review. They have a good picture on the left side, but then on the right they waste a whole page just for a picture that isn't very good, as they got the side with the 4 stroke muffler hanging out, and the pic is at an angle that makes it appear huge, they didn't put any writing or any thing on that page. This is totally wasted space. They waste too much space in that magazine. I have a subscription, and I'm considering cancelling, it an getting S& E modeler which is bette suited for the planes I fly (not a bunch of box trainers)

Sorry for the length of this response but I feel it necessary, to point out something like this. Several other locals thought the same and the concerns I have voiced above have been voiced in a telephone conversation to Gerry Yarrish by my boss who writes occasional articles for MAN.

--Paul

BTW, the hobby lobby catalog is awesome, somehow they sent me two of them. Oh well.

geez, if you are that picky, you might be better off staying with glo power.

Any electric coverage is good, no matter how the pictures are.
Steve H. is offline Find More Posts by Steve H.
RCG Plus Member
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 17, 2001, 06:24 AM
Most Exalted Windbag
Newark, DE USA
Joined May 2001
1,632 Posts
IMO, the articles are nothing but ads with a better description anyway. The purpose of the entire magazine is to make us spend money. So is the e-zone BB and the entire internet. It's a conspiracy. I'll read about a new motor and with a couple of clicks of the mouse have one on it's way.

I LOVE IT!!!

Another plus for us flying nuts of all kinds. I subscribe to "basic" digital cable. One of the 75 "free" channels I get is Discovery Wings. ALL aspects of flight. Pre Wright to Mars Landings. One out of 75 devoted ONLY to flight is pretty good.

RB
Red Baron 47 is offline Find More Posts by Red Baron 47
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 17, 2001, 06:36 AM
ARFs make me BARF
mrittinger's Avatar
United States, MI, Roseville
Joined Dec 2000
8,862 Posts
There will be a good article in there in two months on an electric Me262 for speed 400.I know cuz i wrote it......



Mark
mrittinger is offline Find More Posts by mrittinger
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 17, 2001, 02:36 PM
HobbyKing
Paul Susbauer's Avatar
Hong Kong, Hong Kong Island, Hong Kong
Joined Apr 2001
4,491 Posts
I don't fly very much glow, I love electric,

Its not their coverage of electric I'm concerned about, its the format that everything is set up in. It all appears to be one large ad.

I can't flip through and at a casual glance find an actual article.

That is my concern, not the electrics, I love electric, and won't quit.
Paul Susbauer is offline Find More Posts by Paul Susbauer
Site Sponsor
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 02, 2008, 10:21 PM
Promoting Model Aviation...
Murocflyer's Avatar
United States, CA, Tehachapi
Joined Nov 2005
24,884 Posts
I got a feeling you'll be seeing more coverage on e-flight models in the future.

Frank
Murocflyer is offline Find More Posts by Murocflyer
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Who Appreciates Your Work?
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 03, 2008, 12:42 AM
↓↘→ + (punch)
theKM's Avatar
central PA.
Joined Sep 2004
20,180 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Susbauer
I thought the newest MAN, was one of the worst I've seen, not because of electric coverage, but because everything, at a casual glance through the magazine, appears to be an ad. Its not easy to flip through and find an actual article. The reviews of planes were very similar to ads the way they break things up.

Everything is in color now, so thats part of it. What I mean is that in the various columns, all the pictures are color where as before they were in B&W making it easier to find.

Also, in the kit reviews all the pictures are in color, not just the first pics at the beginning of the review.

The Staggerbee review (very good for the record) had way too many pictures of the same thing, there was at least two bare bones pictures of it in the opening pages of the review. Totally unneccessary.

The MRC/EZ Mustang, look at the opening pics of it in the review. They have a good picture on the left side, but then on the right they waste a whole page just for a picture that isn't very good, as they got the side with the 4 stroke muffler hanging out, and the pic is at an angle that makes it appear huge, they didn't put any writing or any thing on that page. This is totally wasted space. They waste too much space in that magazine. I have a subscription, and I'm considering cancelling, it an getting S& E modeler which is bette suited for the planes I fly (not a bunch of box trainers)

Sorry for the length of this response but I feel it necessary, to point out something like this. Several other locals thought the same and the concerns I have voiced above have been voiced in a telephone conversation to Gerry Yarrish by my boss who writes occasional articles for MAN.

--Paul

BTW, the hobby lobby catalog is awesome, somehow they sent me two of them. Oh well.
So to summarise your point... you dislike the magazine because they've raised their standards in being fully colour making it look like one long ad. But you think the hobby lobby catalog is awesome and it is one long ad.


there's just no pleasing some people
theKM is offline Find More Posts by theKM
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 03, 2008, 12:46 AM
Epic Huckin'
paintball_kidz's Avatar
Surrey, BC
Joined Jun 2007
2,388 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by murocflyer
I got a feeling you'll be seeing more coverage on e-flight models in the future.

Frank
its the future now. If you were thinking that time
paintball_kidz is offline Find More Posts by paintball_kidz
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 03, 2008, 07:29 AM
Registered User
jonnyjetprop's Avatar
USA, FL, Apopka
Joined Sep 2003
1,134 Posts
Slightly different twist. RC Report has been known for a long time to be the best mag for product reviews. Gordon Banks and the boys don't hide a thing when they review something. My beef with them has been that they were very slow to get with the electrics movement and then the reviews were more about PNP Parkezone type stuff. Things have changed. They have a decient electric column and a second one coming soon. Might be worth a look.

www.rcreport.ws

John
jonnyjetprop is offline Find More Posts by jonnyjetprop
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 03, 2008, 10:31 AM
Promoting Model Aviation...
Murocflyer's Avatar
United States, CA, Tehachapi
Joined Nov 2005
24,884 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by paintball_kidz
its the future now. If you were thinking that time

The future is NOW???
Murocflyer is offline Find More Posts by Murocflyer
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Who Appreciates Your Work?
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 03, 2008, 10:49 AM
WARNING: May contain spam
Xpress..'s Avatar
Joined Oct 2007
20,933 Posts
OMG!!!

Has anyone noticed this thread is 7 years old?
Xpress.. is offline Find More Posts by Xpress..
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 03, 2008, 04:14 PM
Registered User
RyanPSU21's Avatar
USA, MI, Harrison Township
Joined Sep 2000
3,776 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xpress..
OMG!!!

Has anyone noticed this thread is 7 years old?
Apparently not the person who brought it kicking and screaming back from the dead.
RyanPSU21 is offline Find More Posts by RyanPSU21
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
F/S 6 Electric Planes in South Texas Bob Shultz Aircraft - Electric - Airplanes (FS/W) 0 Feb 03, 2005 04:08 PM
F/S 6 Electric planes in a group Bob Shultz Aircraft - Electric - Airplanes (FS/W) 18 Feb 01, 2005 02:58 PM
Is there any electric clubs in Greenville N.C.? PLRDad Club Talk 0 Nov 27, 2004 12:09 PM