HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 23, 2012, 07:12 PM
Boats on the brain!!
Arnold, Mo.
Joined Jul 2005
4,580 Posts
Either a nice open black hole or some chromed grating for the scoop.
green-boat is online now Find More Posts by green-boat
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 23, 2012, 11:19 PM
time poor
Australia, QLD, Brisbane
Joined Feb 2012
137 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by green-boat View Post
Either a nice open black hole or some chromed grating for the scoop.
Hmm the crome is an interesting idea, the kit comes with crome strips for rub rails, I wonder if there is enough to line the front of the scoop as well.

I dont wan't to open it as it would catch any water coming over the deck
the_11th_guest is offline Find More Posts by the_11th_guest
Old Sep 24, 2012, 07:21 PM
1/2 a bubble off
United States, NY, Schenectady
Joined Mar 2011
843 Posts
If you used a chrome grill, paint the area behind it flat black.
Apismelifera is offline Find More Posts by Apismelifera
Old Sep 25, 2012, 04:19 PM
time poor
Australia, QLD, Brisbane
Joined Feb 2012
137 Posts
Just some planking progress photos, I like the solid feel the mahogany is giving the boat.
Old Sep 25, 2012, 07:03 PM
Joined Jul 2008
1,817 Posts
She will be sexier then antique French furniture by the time you are done sanding and polishing her.
Kcal is offline Find More Posts by Kcal
Old Oct 01, 2012, 04:22 PM
time poor
Australia, QLD, Brisbane
Joined Feb 2012
137 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kcal View Post
She will be sexier then antique French furniture by the time you are done sanding and polishing her.
Indeed she will!

It was a long weekend in Australia last weekend so I have made heaps of progress.
I have finished the deck planking, sanded it level with 80 grit sandpaper and sanded the whole lot with 120.
For the scoop I used some left over king plank material and fashoned a leading edge for it. I painted the exposed balsa flat black before gluing it on and sanding flush.
Old Oct 01, 2012, 04:57 PM
Joined Dec 2004
3,731 Posts
Some food for thought. I would paint the interior of the scoop with some flat black paint and then cut some aluminum screen to shape to fit into the scoop opening. a lot of the real boats use screening in the scoops to keep the bee’s and wasps from nesting in the openings.
frankg is online now Find More Posts by frankg
Old Oct 01, 2012, 05:03 PM
time poor
Australia, QLD, Brisbane
Joined Feb 2012
137 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankg View Post
Some food for thought. I would paint the interior of the scoop with some flat black paint and then cut some aluminum screen to shape to fit into the scoop opening. a lot of the real boats use screening in the scoops to keep the bee’s and wasps from nesting in the openings.
Yes I have been thinking about that. how would you attach it though? CA would cloud and anything else would lose the depth effect.
Old Oct 01, 2012, 05:06 PM
Joined Dec 2004
3,731 Posts
If you trim the screen just a tad larger that the opening, the cut edge of the screen will lock it inside the scoop, like a lot of little fingers.
frankg is online now Find More Posts by frankg
Old Oct 07, 2012, 01:16 AM
Canada, ON, Toronto
Joined Jun 2012
68 Posts
wow it looks great as is.... chrome would look something from are time.. keep it looking old timer.. just my thought...
tommyov is offline Find More Posts by tommyov
Old Oct 07, 2012, 04:49 PM
time poor
Australia, QLD, Brisbane
Joined Feb 2012
137 Posts
One of the joys of building an American kit in Australia is that it is very difficult to find the right materials,

Legend's instructions list the products used when building the prototype, the glues the paints, the epoxy, even the finishing compound. If I was on the other side of the Pacific I could go out and get these products no worries but over here I have to scratch around and find the equivalent for each thing.

In this case I used Chromacryl Burnt umber instead of the Folk Art brand Legend uses to stain the kingplank and covering boards. I went on as the instructions said it would, fingers crossed

Also 12 min epoxy does not seem to exist here, we have 5 min epoxy!!! Reminds me of the scene from Something About Mary "Seven minute Abs"
http://www.popscreen.com/v/7Gg/7-Minute-Abs

I also found some mesh for the scoop, thanks to xx29l9 for the idea.
Instead of paying $15 at the LHS for a bit of mesh 100mm x 200mm. I picked up a splatter guard (300mm dia circle) from Kmart for $3
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...1210959&page=8
(post #112)

Anyway some nice photos for you to look at.
Old Oct 07, 2012, 05:52 PM
mahoganyfan
United States, NJ, Atlantic City
Joined Nov 2010
671 Posts
If looks could kill

Looking like a killer boat!
californiakid is online now Find More Posts by californiakid
Old Oct 07, 2012, 06:49 PM
Joined Jul 2008
1,817 Posts
11th,

If it makes you feel any better we have the same issues here (but obviously up-side-down) metric vs. SAE and different branding for different things. I wish we would go metric as an aside congrats on the five minute epoxy, I know from personal experience it’s quick, thick and very challenging. If you have or get the opportunity to use West Systems epoxy I would highly recommend it. Not cheap but good and flows smoothly for an exterior coat that goes on like a dream.
Old Oct 07, 2012, 07:26 PM
time poor
Australia, QLD, Brisbane
Joined Feb 2012
137 Posts
Hey Kcal

We have an epoxy called Aquacote here, I beleve it's Australian made, it is really nice to use and it has almost no smell. Most of the hobby guys I've spoken to use it and rave about it. Even better it costs about a 1/3 of the cost of West System.

Epoxying the deck and sides is the next step but I'll have to wait till the weekend.
Old Oct 07, 2012, 07:47 PM
Joined Jul 2008
1,817 Posts
Use the light fiberglass cloth if you can, it adds a lot of strength and truly does disappear.