HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 02, 2012, 05:57 PM
time poor
Australia, QLD, Brisbane
Joined Feb 2012
137 Posts
And let the gluing of the fingers... ah I mean planks begin.
It was fathers day in Australia yesterday so I was allowed to play boats. Half a bottle of CA, the last of my kicker and a fair amount of head scratching and I have a planked bottom.

I want to make some joke about how lame it is to post photos of myself planking on the internet here but....

...It might be recieved stiffly...
... I didn't have the timbre for it...
... the audience is a bit wooden...

Ah forget it..
the_11th_guest is offline Find More Posts by the_11th_guest
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 02, 2012, 08:11 PM
Joined Jul 2008
1,822 Posts
"I want to make some joke about how lame it is to post photos of myself planking on the internet here but....

...It might be recieved stiffly...
... I didn't have the timbre for it..."

"That's what SHE said!"

Sorry I couldn't resist, your planking is coming along nicely. Beautiful lines she will be a fine boat.
Kcal is offline Find More Posts by Kcal
Old Sep 03, 2012, 06:26 PM
mahoganyfan
United States, NJ, Atlantic City
Joined Nov 2010
694 Posts
Bottom planking

Great job on the bottom planking.Looks beautiful.Are you going to paint the bottom of the boat or leave it the way she is planked now?Its a very tough decision to make,I've been there.
californiakid is offline Find More Posts by californiakid
Old Sep 03, 2012, 07:56 PM
no such thing as to many boats
United States, NY, New York
Joined May 2010
2,032 Posts
Yes planking looks good.
louie R/C NUT is online now Find More Posts by louie R/C NUT
Old Sep 03, 2012, 08:51 PM
time poor
Australia, QLD, Brisbane
Joined Feb 2012
137 Posts
Thanks,
Yes at this stage I plan to paint the bottom white like the prototype. The boat will spend most of it's life in my office at work in front of a blue wall that is about the colour( color for those over the pacific from me) of the RC Groups Banner.
I think the white/ gold/ mahogany will look good here and I'll have to look at it all day.

I'll not be painting those wonderful brass fittings though!
Old Sep 11, 2012, 06:21 PM
time poor
Australia, QLD, Brisbane
Joined Feb 2012
137 Posts
The Doc said I was contagious and I was not to go to work for 2 days... darn...
So I have been able to spend my time wisely.

The bottom is planked and I've had a good start on the sanding.

Now a question.

I've read on here that most of you guys use a glue called Ambroid mixed with mahogany dust to fill gaps. I have 2 large gaps as you will see in the photos.

But I don't know what Ambroid is. I know it's not PVA (white glue, water based) or carpenters glue (yellow stuff). So what is it and where can I get it in Australia?

I have an Idea that it is know simply as Balsa Cement here, could anyone confirm that?

Also what other ways do you have for filling gaps like this? I have done a few searches on the forum but the mystery 'Ambroid' is all I can find.
Old Sep 11, 2012, 09:13 PM
Joined Jul 2008
1,822 Posts
11th,

If you plan to fiberglass and epoxy the hull you will be fine in my opinion as the glue will fill the gap. If you are using another finish or if knowing the gap is there will drive you insane you can cut/sand a stealer or a thin sliver to fit in and fill the gap. If this helps you make the decision to paint the bottom Bondo would work. Is there any movement in the planks, could you clamp it closed and re-glue it?
Old Sep 11, 2012, 11:56 PM
time poor
Australia, QLD, Brisbane
Joined Feb 2012
137 Posts
I will be epoxying (is that a word?) the hull but I don't think I'll glass it I've never glassed before and I don't want to wreck this one, I will have a go with my other build.
Both gaps are a lack of material with no plank movement that I could close and CA together.
Old Sep 13, 2012, 06:35 PM
Joined Jul 2008
1,822 Posts
I understand your concerns but if you’re epoxying (I don’t think it is considered a word by spell check but it does convey the action I am trying to describe well) I would urge you to throw down a layer of light glass. I think I used 1 oz cloth or so, for materials I used foam brushes and west systems epoxy and it did work but just like you I was insanely nervous I’d ruin it. If your mind is made up hopefully someone else will chime in with a better filler method, maybe putty? It will however be difficult to get it to take stain properly, the same issue with the sawdust and glue method.
Old Sep 13, 2012, 08:14 PM
Joined Dec 2004
3,844 Posts
Take some mahogany sanding dust and mix it with a small amount of ELMER’S white glue to make a dry paste and use it to fill the voids in the seams. Once dry sand the surface again for a perfect wood finish.

I also did not use any fiberglass cloth on any of my mahogany runabout builds. If you check the instructions in the build of the cracker box and the other LEGEND builds and check the sections on finishing the model, you will see the procedure and the results.
frankg is offline Find More Posts by frankg
Old Sep 16, 2012, 06:14 PM
time poor
Australia, QLD, Brisbane
Joined Feb 2012
137 Posts
Ok so after much research I found that Pacific Balsa C23 is close if not the same as Ambroid. Let the gap filling begin.... then I ran out of sand paper It seems to be working well though.

No sand paper but plenty of time, I started on getting the dummy motor placed and the hatch modified. In my searching of the internets I found this lovley piece
http://www.glen-l.com/designs/inboard/dsn-cbxd.html

I don't really like the windscreen, but the scoop is something I can work with.

I stripped the motor, lost the sump, fan and flywheel. The stock headers are gone too, but I'll modify them and put them back on. There is more work to do but I was after the height at this point.

The scoop is made from soft balsa sheet, epoxyed on the inside when I did the deck sheeting.

I'll run the mahogany planking over it and that will blend it's lines to the deck even more. The photos don't do it much justice as the colour difference of the wood makes it look chunky.

Some more description in with the photos.
What do you think?
Old Sep 17, 2012, 12:32 AM
Taking care of the pond.
United States, CA, Sanger
Joined Apr 2004
7,376 Posts
Looking good.
MILLERTIME is offline Find More Posts by MILLERTIME
Old Sep 23, 2012, 05:40 PM
time poor
Australia, QLD, Brisbane
Joined Feb 2012
137 Posts
About six hours of work over the weekend and I have a good start on the deck planking. Going over the scoop was tricky but I got there.

Please ignore the glue spots, much sanding to be done.

Do you have any ideas on how to finish the front of the scoop?
I have a few but I'm open to sugestions.
Old Sep 23, 2012, 07:19 PM
mahoganyfan
United States, NJ, Atlantic City
Joined Nov 2010
694 Posts
Scoop

WOW!!The scoop looks hot.Where did you get that idea from?I bet that scoop alone took a couple of hours just to run the plankinig off it.Looks great.
californiakid is offline Find More Posts by californiakid
Old Sep 23, 2012, 07:36 PM
time poor
Australia, QLD, Brisbane
Joined Feb 2012
137 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by californiakid View Post
WOW!!The scoop looks hot.Where did you get that idea from?I bet that scoop alone took a couple of hours just to run the plankinig off it.Looks great.
Thanks
I liked the idea of the dummy motor under the hatch but not the big gaping hole in that lovely deck. Also our wedding car was a Shelby Cobra and a picture of it is mounted in front of our bed. So lying in bed thinking how to do it and staring at that pic it was inevitable.