HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 16, 2012, 06:20 AM
time poor
Australia, QLD, Brisbane
Joined Feb 2012
137 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharky1dk View Post
Read the thread, if i remember right Szmyk do ofer the drawings for the Swallov.
Yeah but imagine if you could get a kit from mack/legend with all those lovely fittings and decals... those exhaust ports.... that brass Swallow cut-water.... those nav lights, just look at it!
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...407464&page=18
it'd be pricey but....
the_11th_guest is offline Find More Posts by the_11th_guest
Last edited by the_11th_guest; Jul 16, 2012 at 06:47 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 16, 2012, 06:59 AM
Woodfumbler......
Copenhagen. Denmark
Joined Apr 2010
1,204 Posts
It would be worth all the extra $$$$ for sure 😄
Sharky1dk is online now Find More Posts by Sharky1dk
Old Jul 16, 2012, 10:01 AM
United Kingdom, England, London
Joined Jun 2007
178 Posts
Ehe ehe..I was thinking about the kit, but getting all manufacturers together would be a nightmare.. In the mean time I have drawings ready.
Thanks for those kind words about my work..Actually this is my first scratch-built boat.
You've done very nice job so far (the_11th_guest)..keep going..
Best wishes.
Mariusz
szmyk is offline Find More Posts by szmyk
Old Jul 16, 2012, 12:55 PM
Woodfumbler......
Copenhagen. Denmark
Joined Apr 2010
1,204 Posts
The fun thing about kits, is to think about all the places in the world they spread joy. I know about at least 3 or 4 California Crackerbox. Mine in Denmark, California kid's in California and now the 11 guest in Brisbane. As an manufactor (seller of the kit) it must be fun to think about all the places people admire "your" kit.
Old Jul 18, 2012, 04:25 PM
time poor
Australia, QLD, Brisbane
Joined Feb 2012
137 Posts
I finished the stand last night and cut the hull off the building board.

Sharky1dk I just had a look at the photos of your crackerbox, it looks great! Where did you get those lights and what did you stain the king plank etc with?
Old Jul 18, 2012, 05:22 PM
mahoganyfan
United States, NJ, Atlantic City
Joined Nov 2010
674 Posts
Looking great 11th guest.
californiakid is offline Find More Posts by californiakid
Old Jul 19, 2012, 05:24 AM
Woodfumbler......
Copenhagen. Denmark
Joined Apr 2010
1,204 Posts
The lights are from MACK, and the stain i found online googled folk art mahogany stain, if you cant find anny try a search on the forum or ask Frankg. I later found some local at a paint shop, it is a small envelope of powder you put in hot water before use. 1 envelope is enough for 10-50 model boats.
Your crackerbox is looking good, cant wait to see it get wet.
Old Jul 29, 2012, 09:57 PM
time poor
Australia, QLD, Brisbane
Joined Feb 2012
137 Posts
Finally the mail arrived to the office, three packs of bote cote clear epoxy and some fine glass matting in one pack and some replacement mahogany king planks Frankg was kind enough to send me. Despite his best efforts Australia Post still managed to break both of them.

When he said that he would send two I thought"wow thats generous but you don't have to do that" I'm very glad he did now.
Old Jul 30, 2012, 09:35 AM
Woodfumbler......
Copenhagen. Denmark
Joined Apr 2010
1,204 Posts
Well why should the Ausie mail be any better than any other mail....
I ordered some plans from UK a week later an open empty envelope arrived in my mailbox, mailed the company and another week later an completely open but this time full envelope arrived in my mailbox...Guess the mailman did not want 2 drawings of the HMS Hälsingborg
Old Jul 30, 2012, 04:28 PM
time poor
Australia, QLD, Brisbane
Joined Feb 2012
137 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharky1dk View Post
Well why should the Ausie mail be any better than any other mail....
I ordered some plans from UK a week later an open empty envelope arrived in my mailbox, mailed the company and another week later an completely open but this time full envelope arrived in my mailbox...Guess the mailman did not want 2 drawings of the HMS Hälsingborg
Have you built that? I have a 2 year old so I thought this straight away.
Old Jul 31, 2012, 06:57 AM
Woodfumbler......
Copenhagen. Denmark
Joined Apr 2010
1,204 Posts
Nope... not buildt it yet just aquired the plans, but i think i will build it one day..........
Old Aug 12, 2012, 08:01 PM
time poor
Australia, QLD, Brisbane
Joined Feb 2012
137 Posts
-Wife at work.-check
-Baby asleep.-check
-3 year old distracted.-check

Good time to work on the boat!

The bote cote epoxy went on over the last few days. Quite nice to work with, it has a not unpleasent smell that is not overpowering and after thinning with acetone, painted on easily. It seems to have absorbed about 1/4 of the way into the balsa deck battern material and it has locked everything in place nicely.

In the last photo you can see the wire for the aerial. All the frames have a hole to run this wire from stern to bow. A great idea that I will be using on my other boat as well.
Old Aug 15, 2012, 04:38 PM
time poor
Australia, QLD, Brisbane
Joined Feb 2012
137 Posts
I built up the hatches and and sanded the deck frame fair last night.
Also whipped up another batch of epoxy and coated the underside of the of the deck planking.
Old Aug 15, 2012, 05:32 PM
Mopar Musclecar fanatic
Oregon
Joined Oct 2008
768 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_11th_guest View Post
-Wife at work.-check
-Baby asleep.-check
-3 year old distracted.-check

Good time to work on the boat!

The bote cote epoxy went on over the last few days. Quite nice to work with, it has a not unpleasent smell that is not overpowering and after thinning with acetone, painted on easily. It seems to have absorbed about 1/4 of the way into the balsa deck battern material and it has locked everything in place nicely.

In the last photo you can see the wire for the aerial. All the frames have a hole to run this wire from stern to bow. A great idea that I will be using on my other boat as well.
Looking great...but from the picture is looks like your Ford engine is only going to run on 3 cylinders on the right side....looks to be missing a spark plug wire. Maybe that's why it couldn't keep up with a Mopar Hemi ....just kidding all you Ford fans (or am I)?

Bob
xx29l9 is online now Find More Posts by xx29l9
Old Aug 26, 2012, 04:29 PM
time poor
Australia, QLD, Brisbane
Joined Feb 2012
137 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by xx29l9 View Post
Looking great...but from the picture is looks like your Ford engine is only going to run on 3 cylinders on the right side....looks to be missing a spark plug wire. Maybe that's why it couldn't keep up with a Mopar Hemi ....just kidding all you Ford fans (or am I)?

Bob
Ha, yeah well I did consider putting a Hemi in it but the shaker top would have looked odd!
It's funny that the Ford /Mopar rivalry has never really found footing here in Australia. Had you said:-

“Maybe that's why it couldn't keep up with a Holden V8 ....just kidding all you Ford fans (or am I)?"
You would have got a bite!
Some nice progress this weekend, the deck is on and sanded, I’m really happy with it too.