SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jul 02, 2012, 11:28 PM
United States, CA, Santa Monica
Joined Jul 2011
498 Posts
Discussion
Toggle switch, how to connect to battery?

I have a SPST illuminated switch that I would like to use as a kill switch in my 12v battery powered fpv ground station. After researching online, I still really couldn't figure out how to wire this switch. There are three prongs coming out of the switch, one is ground, one is ACC, and one is the +. How should I connect this to my main battery so that when I flip the switch, it will cut off the circuit and also light up when I flip it on?

All help appreciated, thanks!
Lpbug is offline Find More Posts by Lpbug
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 02, 2012, 11:49 PM
RC Helicopter Pilot
United States, CA, Westminster
Joined Mar 2010
1,696 Posts
Before connecting to power I would check this with a meter -
The negative side of the battery goes to GROUND
Positive side of the battery goes to +
and your load (what you want to turn on/off) goes to ACC.
The thinking here is that + gets switched to your load (ACC) and where one side of the light is.
Ground powers the other side of the light.
I would check with a meter first but I am pretty sure that is how to wire that switch.
TheWoodCrafter is offline Find More Posts by TheWoodCrafter
Old Jul 02, 2012, 11:58 PM
Joined Jul 2011
498 Posts
Well, I have and xt-60 connector with my main battery, I'm thinking about making a 3 way splitter so I can power more devices at one time with the battery. In between the 3 way splitter and the original xt 60 connector on the battery I want to somehow implement the switch. If I connect the red wire on my splitter to the ACC prong, what do I connect the black (ground) wire to?
Old Jul 03, 2012, 12:06 AM
RC Helicopter Pilot
Joined Mar 2010
1,696 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lpbug View Post
Well, I have and xt-60 connector with my main battery, I'm thinking about making a 3 way splitter so I can power more devices at one time with the battery. In between the 3 way splitter and the original xt 60 connector on the battery I want to somehow implement the switch. If I connect the red wire on my splitter to the ACC prong, what do I connect the black (ground) wire to?
I am not following about the splitter.
But wire the battery red to +
Wire load red to ACC
And wire Black battery and black load to ground.

Something you need to be careful of is the load you will be running through that switch.
That will have to be a pretty stout switch depending on what you are powering.
The voltage drop across the switch and associated wiring may cause some problems and heat.
Old Jul 03, 2012, 12:36 AM
Joined Jul 2011
498 Posts
So I pretty much want a switch in between two xt-60 connectors. So I will wire the red to the + prong from the first xt 60 (one connected to the battery), put the load red wire on the acc prong, and black wire to ground?

like this?
Old Jul 03, 2012, 09:22 AM
RC Helicopter Pilot
Joined Mar 2010
1,696 Posts
That should do it.
Old Jul 03, 2012, 08:32 PM
Joined Jul 2011