HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by Jyester, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Jul 02, 2012, 06:18 PM
Jyester
Massachusettes
Joined May 2010
115 Posts
Discussion
Conversion/ up-grades

I recently finished a conversion/up-grade on a parkzone P-47 thunderbolt. All I changed was the motor, esc unit and re-inforced the main wing. The motor I chose was the Neo-25, and a thunderbird 54. With this set-up I should be able to take off and pull a straight vertical line with out any problems. Cruise at or below half throttle. I left the fiberglass spars in to help strengthen the wing. I used 3mmx5mmx20" this secondary spar added great strength to the wing. I measured about 11/4" back from the leading edge of wing and drew a line from the middle of the wing to the tip. I used a sharpie marker to draw the line. Then used a t square ruler to cut out a slot on the wing. After cuts were made I used a small flat head screw driver to remove foam from slot. I had some good cuts made because I had to almost force CF spars into place. Once I was satisfied I removed spars add glue and replaced them back into slots. These slots did go into center section of wing from both ends and used copious amounts of glue. Nothing more is needed other than making a motor mount stand off. This was easy I used 1/8 " ply traced the original motor mount base( the end that meets the fire wall. Then cut them out I used 7mm foam in between the ply which gave me the 1/2" stand off that was needed to clear the cowl nose. I did have to cut out a good piece of the cowl in order to get agood fit of the cowl without it rubbing against the motor. This is a worth while conversion for any pilot wanting more power for their war bird. Plus it's low cost 100$ even. Try it out you'll be impressed with the performance. Happy trails!!!
Jyester is offline Find More Posts by Jyester
to remove ads between posts