SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jan 31, 2013, 06:41 PM
DiaLFonZo - UAV/Drone
Canada, QC
Joined Oct 2007
6,854 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JussiH View Post
I think it looks very nice - lets skype tomorrow and finish the last details and press "print" button on it.
Yes...
Dialfonzo is online now Find More Posts by Dialfonzo
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 31, 2013, 07:20 PM
Joined Oct 2004
1,445 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JussiH View Post
AQ does support other ESCīs as long as they are "fast update" type, eg reflashed. I dont know if the DJI ESCīs will work, I have no experience with those...apart from trying other peoples WKMīs.

SimonK or BLheli reflashed ESCīs will work.
Thanks for the info...

G
neavissa is offline Find More Posts by neavissa
Old Jan 31, 2013, 07:51 PM
OS Sponsor
Germany, NRW, Dusseldorf
Joined Jun 2010
5,311 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dialfonzo View Post
It can't be printed (at least nicely) on a regular extrusion type printer.
But a Powder type of printer can print any shapes..

In that form, i could just do a standar cover for people that don't want the GPS supported one.
"Powder printer" sounds interesting.

But ya know what comes next: the 3 inevitable Qs: when, where, how much???

Thx for the standard cover. Would be nice of it could be combined with a GPS shield (standard 4,5x4,5cm pattern for the mounting holes).

kinderkram is offline Find More Posts by kinderkram
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 01, 2013, 04:15 AM
Joined Oct 2004
1,445 Posts
Hi there,

Probably the wrong place to ask, but since I believe you guys are some kind of electronics "Gurus", I thought I give it a shot! Why trying to achieve position hold with a GPS, if you know that it is not that mega accurate?! I once had this security system, that started recording, when it detected motion. "Nothing Special" you might say, but if I tell you, that the cameras had no motion sensors, you might ask how this is possible?! (Probably not, since the answer is not surprising, ha ha).

You had to hook up the system to a TV. The included software would then put a grid over the live feed and you were able to pick which "squares" the camera is supposed to read and which not. So the motion detection is not by the camera, it was by the software, which simply detects a change in the picture! Wouldn't that be a great way of achieving position hold?! If you have a camera pointing downwards, it will detect any change in the picture and try to correct it?!

OK, maybe not a so great idea?! It is late and my brain is playing tricks on me, LOL...

G
Old Feb 01, 2013, 04:56 AM
OS Sponsor
Germany, NRW, Dusseldorf
Joined Jun 2010
5,311 Posts
Hi G,
the Autoquad uses the most accurate GPS module in that price range and is known for excellent results even in heavy, gusting winds.

When using an optical flow sensor like some are experimenting with you don't even need offboard calculations if the code handles the navigational side.

Here's a video by Alex Moskalenko (the inventor of the famous brushless gimbal controller) demonstrating position hold on a MultiWii

Position hold width MultiWii (3 min 59 sec)

What we are currently looking into is an object tracking system for navigational purposes. But that's another highly advanced system you need an onboard computer like an embedded Linux system to calculate.

Predator: Camera That Learns (4 min 12 sec)

All still in baby shoes but we're taking steps in this direction and try to provide the necessary hardware for it.
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 01, 2013, 05:11 AM
Friend is a 4 letter word...
3rd stone from the sun
Joined May 2007
2,676 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by neavissa View Post
Hi there,

Probably the wrong place to ask, but since I believe you guys are some kind of electronics "Gurus", I thought I give it a shot! Why trying to achieve position hold with a GPS, if you know that it is not that mega accurate?! I once had this security system, that started recording, when it detected motion. "Nothing Special" you might say, but if I tell you, that the cameras had no motion sensors, you might ask how this is possible?! (Probably not, since the answer is not surprising, ha ha).

You had to hook up the system to a TV. The included software would then put a grid over the live feed and you were able to pick which "squares" the camera is supposed to read and which not. So the motion detection is not by the camera, it was by the software, which simply detects a change in the picture! Wouldn't that be a great way of achieving position hold?! If you have a camera pointing downwards, it will detect any change in the picture and try to correct it?!

OK, maybe not a so great idea?! It is late and my brain is playing tricks on me, LOL...

G
Something similar has been done om the Helicommand units of a few years back, and it worked, but was unreliable. Specially if the view under the sensor was very even (like a lawn or asphalt), it would get confused. It also did not work over 6 meters altitude. Youd also have to make sure that the position hold camera is looking straight down all the time, so it would have to have its own gimbal. Finally, processing images is quite processer-intensive, so there is not enough power for that on our STM32F4 MCU

Anyway, a correctly setup and calibrated AQ will do a very precise position hold. Deviation is under 1m horisontally and vertically. We spent considerable time choosing the right GPS module, and ended up with a LEA-6T, which is top of the range in Ublox modules. If you add RTK data into the mix, we should in theory be able to bring the error down to a few centimeters.

We are researching visual navigation methods, bu we do not plan to use it for position hold, but instead our focus is on object tracking and following.

Both RTK and Visual navigation will demand extra processing power, so Bill has designed a Gumstix expander for AQ, that will hopefully be in internal testing very soon.

I would advise you to read our documentation very carefully before pushing the "buy" button. AQ does not require a engineering degree, but the setup procedure is more elaborate than any other controller, most noteably there is a calibration procedure that is key to AQīs amazing precision.
JussiH is offline Find More Posts by JussiH
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 01, 2013, 11:27 AM
United States, MN, St Cloud
Joined Jan 2012
551 Posts
Laptop

If I were going to get a new laptop to use as a ground station what would be the best one for this?
richkphoto is offline Find More Posts by richkphoto
Old Feb 01, 2013, 12:20 PM
Joined Oct 2004
1,445 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kinderkram View Post
Hi G,
the Autoquad uses the most accurate GPS module in that price range and is known for excellent results even in heavy, gusting winds.

When using an optical flow sensor like some are experimenting with you don't even need offboard calculations if the code handles the navigational side.

Here's a video by Alex Moskalenko (the inventor of the famous brushless gimbal controller) demonstrating position hold on a MultiWii

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rdZnxTz1Y_g

What we are currently looking into is an object tracking system for navigational purposes. But that's another highly advanced system you need an onboard computer like an embedded Linux system to calculate.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1GhNXHCQGsM

All still in baby shoes but we're taking steps in this direction and try to provide the necessary hardware for it.
Hi Kinderkram,

Thanks for the info. I understand that all this, is very advanced stuff. That's why I believe you should change your username to something else, LOL.

G
Old Feb 01, 2013, 12:50 PM
United States, KY, Morehead
Joined Jan 2005
155 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by richkphoto View Post
If I were going to get a new laptop to use as a ground station what would be the best one for this?
You can use just about any modern laptop Windows, Mac, or Linux. Also Android devices and tablets will be able to use the most of the new features coming out. I am using a Mac book Pro ,Win 8 and Nexus 7.
skew is offline Find More Posts by skew
Old Feb 01, 2013, 12:56 PM
Joined Jan 2012
551 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by skew View Post
You can use just about any modern laptop Windows, Mac, or Linux. Also Android devices and tablets will be able to use the most of the new features coming out. I am using a Mac book Pro ,Win 8 and Nexus 7.
I thought it had to have an Intel i7 processor and my other concern is something bright enough to see in sunlight
Old Feb 01, 2013, 01:11 PM
OS Sponsor
Germany, NRW, Dusseldorf
Joined Jun 2010
5,311 Posts
Quote:
I thought it had to have an Intel i7 processor and my other concern is something bright enough to see in sunlight
There's a difference between using the QGC as a ground station in the field and using the AQ widget for calculations.
For the ground station a simple 10" netbook with XP will do (I use it for all my aircrafts).
For the calculations you will need a powerful comp as described in out Wiki.
An i7 will be sufficient for this task...
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 01, 2013, 01:14 PM
OS Sponsor
Germany, NRW, Dusseldorf
Joined Jun 2010
5,311 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by neavissa View Post
Hi Kinderkram,

Thanks for the info. I understand that all this, is very advanced stuff. That's why I believe you should change your username to something else, LOL.

G
... and break a tradition, nah?!
Better understate than overdo...
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 01, 2013, 01:15 PM
Joined Jan 2012
551 Posts
OK I thought it had to be the same computer for both so all the files were in the same place
Old Feb 01, 2013, 03:17 PM
Joined Feb 2012
812 Posts
Quote:
OK I thought it had to be the same computer for both so all the files were in the same place
I have an i7 iMac at home that i used for the calculations and a cheap i5 Windows 8 laptop i use for reading logs and general tinkering. I use Dropbox to synchronize param files between the two computers. I havent used my PC as a GCS yet, I just use my Android phone over bluetooth.
epyonxero is offline Find More Posts by epyonxero
Old Feb 01, 2013, 03:27 PM
Tri-Quad-Hexa-Octo-copters!!
United States, TX, San Antonio
Joined Feb 2007
14,668 Posts
Hi E,
Your post would have been gibberish even to most geeks only 5 years ago Made me chuckle We've come a long way in the multicopter world!
Cheers,
Jim
Quadrocopter and Tricopter Info Mega Link Index

Quote:
Originally Posted by epyonxero View Post
I have an i7 iMac at home that i used for the calculations and a cheap i5 Windows 8 laptop i use for reading logs and general tinkering. I use Dropbox to synchronize param files between the two computers. I havent used my PC as a GCS yet, I just use my Android phone over bluetooth.
jesolins is offline Find More Posts by jesolins