HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 20, 2012, 02:53 AM
OS Sponsor
Germany, NRW, Dusseldorf
Joined Jun 2010
5,226 Posts
Here's a user's video of an Octo flying with 2 props removed.
Showing position hold and RTH:

#copter with AutoQuad - Octocopter without of two propellers test flight - RTH (5 min 28 sec)
kinderkram is offline Find More Posts by kinderkram
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 20, 2012, 09:37 AM
DJI SUPPORT / TESTING
United States, CA, Big Bear
Joined Jan 2006
10,071 Posts
I have a question.. If I update f/w do I have to redo the dance or any other calibration?
blade strike is online now Find More Posts by blade strike
Site Sponsor
Old Nov 20, 2012, 09:59 AM
OS Sponsor
Germany, NRW, Dusseldorf
Joined Jun 2010
5,226 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by blade strike View Post
I have a question.. If I update f/w do I have to redo the dance or any other calibration?
Nope - only if you change something essential like the MCU, sensors etc:
http://autoquad.org/wiki/wiki/autoquad-calibrations
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 20, 2012, 11:26 AM
sorry, my english is bad
Austria, Wien, Vienna
Joined Apr 2011
232 Posts
Guys believe me, meanwhile i own and fly my second AQ rig with awsome stability.
Doing the whole calibration progress a second time it is a piece of cake.

Static cali while building the frame than put the board on the frame, do your Calypso dance and while completing the hardware let the PC do its job.
First a make a quick´n dirty calculation to get the rig in the air. And while i make further builds and improvements on the frame the pc has again much more time to calculate.
Time to first lift of ~20h
Then upload second and better calculation and have fun!

AutoQuad fun, (1 min 53 sec)
teramax is offline Find More Posts by teramax
Old Nov 20, 2012, 01:04 PM
Joined Sep 2009
61 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kinderkram View Post
Here's a user's video of an Octo flying with 2 props removed.
kinderkram, its nothing unusually, I think, if You have just GOOD FC (I saw a video with MK octo flying without 3 engines). I think with AQ it is no problem to beat it.
I have to add that this octo PID tuning take me about 20min. On MK tuning take me (and not only me) much much much looooonger and effects are similar.
Rufio is online now Find More Posts by Rufio
Last edited by Rufio; Nov 20, 2012 at 01:22 PM.
Old Nov 20, 2012, 06:31 PM
OS Sponsor
Germany, NRW, Dusseldorf
Joined Jun 2010
5,226 Posts
Yes, that's what we're telling: once you've successfully gone through the calibrations & calculations much less tuning is needed to get a stable aircraft.

No other project I know of focusses that excessively on sensor calibration like the AQ6.
Though it uses the best sensors at that price range, it's still low budget.

To compensate the gap between professional factory calibrated sensors that start at several hundred $$ and add up to several thousands, you need to put some efforts into the hardware. If done properly your FC is worth double the price if you take current market prices into account.

So to say: each freeze'n'thaw saves you money - plus you'll get payed for each Calibso.
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 20, 2012, 08:44 PM
DJI SUPPORT / TESTING
Joined Jan 2006
10,071 Posts
First test flight done.. I do have two issues, in the PC GC HUD roll is reversed. 2nd I had to reverse my elevator ch(dx8).. Are these standard issues or config issues?

I do have to say for stock settings, it flew very nice. Altitude hold needs some tunning but POS Hold held great!
Site Sponsor
Old Nov 20, 2012, 09:54 PM
Joined Jul 2007
76 Posts
Hey why dont you guys do a kick starter. You could then probably bring your costs down and I could afford one ;-)
roxyboby is offline Find More Posts by roxyboby
Old Nov 21, 2012, 03:46 AM
OS Sponsor
Germany, NRW, Dusseldorf
Joined Jun 2010
5,226 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by blade strike View Post
First test flight done.. I do have two issues, in the PC GC HUD roll is reversed. 2nd I had to reverse my elevator ch(dx8).. Are these standard issues or config issues?

I do have to say for stock settings, it flew very nice. Altitude hold needs some tunning but POS Hold held great!
If you roll your aircraft right (CW) the HUD moves left (CCW). This is how it should be.

Every radio is different. In combination with various FCs you might need to reverse one or another channel.
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 21, 2012, 04:14 AM
Friend is a 4 letter word...
3rd stone from the sun
Joined May 2007
2,670 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by roxyboby View Post
Hey why dont you guys do a kick starter. You could then probably bring your costs down and I could afford one ;-)
Kickstarter wont make it cheaper. One of the reasons that AQ is relatively "expensive" is that we use a LEA-6T precision timing and raw data GPS module and a 35*35 active antenna with SAW filter. Those 2 parts represent more than 1/3 of the total BOM.

Go ahead and google the price on a LEA-6T module, you will find that the retail price on those is usually on the order of 60-70 euro for a single module. I have seen them as high as 99E.

We chose the 6T module, because our tests revealed that it offered better precision than other LEA 6 modules. With the raw data available we also get an option to add RTK later on and acheive precision down to a few centimeters.

To be completely frank, I think that AQ is sold at a very attractive price, especially when you look at the featureset and compare with what other "similar" systems cost.

With AQ you get it all for 319E plus VAT. Full mission planner with 25 waypoints (we plan to increase the number of waypoints), precise position hold, orbit, auto takeoff/landing, camera stabi, full datalogging. Those are features our "competition" will charge you 3-4 times as much for...and we are working on new features, that we wont charge you extra for..

Add to that the option to use the ESC32 and you get a system that in my opinion is unrivaled in the current market

Of course you have to invest some time in sensor calibration, but its well within the limits of most users abilities.
JussiH is offline Find More Posts by JussiH
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 21, 2012, 05:22 AM
Multicopter Addict
Southwest Minnesota
Joined Feb 2010
718 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JussiH View Post
Kickstarter wont make it cheaper. One of the reasons that AQ is relatively "expensive" is that we use a LEA-6T precision timing and raw data GPS module and a 35*35 active antenna with SAW filter. Those 2 parts represent more than 1/3 of the total BOM.

Go ahead and google the price on a LEA-6T module, you will find that the retail price on those is usually on the order of 60-70 euro for a single module. I have seen them as high as 99E.

We chose the 6T module, because our tests revealed that it offered better precision than other LEA 6 modules. With the raw data available we also get an option to add RTK later on and acheive precision down to a few centimeters.

To be completely frank, I think that AQ is sold at a very attractive price, especially when you look at the featureset and compare with what other "similar" systems cost.

With AQ you get it all for 319E plus VAT. Full mission planner with 25 waypoints (we plan to increase the number of waypoints), precise position hold, orbit, auto takeoff/landing, camera stabi, full datalogging. Those are features our "competition" will charge you 3-4 times as much for...and we are working on new features, that we wont charge you extra for..

Add to that the option to use the ESC32 and you get a system that in my opinion is unrivaled in the current market

Of course you have to invest some time in sensor calibration, but its well within the limits of most users abilities.
And this my friends is why I am saving all my pennies for
braindead4554 is offline Find More Posts by braindead4554
Old Nov 21, 2012, 09:05 AM
DJI SUPPORT / TESTING
Joined Jan 2006
10,071 Posts
Quote:
If you roll your aircraft right (CW) the HUD moves left (CCW). This is how it should be.

Every radio is different. In combination with various FCs you might need to reverse one or another channel.
I was just making sure, thank you

Today will be tuning day..Stock settings look pretty good just wasn't holding altitude.
Site Sponsor
Old Nov 21, 2012, 09:19 AM
Discovering the joys of flying
Brazil, SC, Joinville
Joined Aug 2012
783 Posts
Not directly related to Autoquad but I was wondering: would the calibration procedure make sense to other boards, say Autopilot or Black Vortex? I guess it would if the calibration routines was implemented into their software.
Adilson is online now Find More Posts by Adilson
Old Nov 21, 2012, 10:44 AM
OS Sponsor
Germany, NRW, Dusseldorf
Joined Jun 2010
5,226 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adilson View Post
Not directly related to Autoquad but I was wondering: would the calibration procedure make sense to other boards, say Autopilot or Black Vortex? I guess it would if the calibration routines was implemented into their software.
It would make sense to any FC - especially the temperature calibration.
Even MEMS gyros drift. But the firmware needs to support this and you need an external routine to do the calculations which is the most difficult part.

I'm pretty sure that DJI & ZUAV do an inhouse calibration - but these can only take a given standard frame into account while the AQ6 takes YOUR airframe.
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 21, 2012, 10:49 AM
Discovering the joys of flying
Brazil, SC, Joinville
Joined Aug 2012
783 Posts
Quote:
It would make sense to any FC - especially the temperature calibration.
Even MEMS gyros drift. But the firmware needs to support this and you need an external routine to do the calculations which is the most difficult part.

I'm pretty sure that DJI & ZUAV do an inhouse calibration - but these can only take a given standard frame into account while the AQ6 takes YOUR airframe.
Indeed makes sense. I've been thinking about take a look at this to see if I can come up with a more generic solution that could be applied to differnet FCs. I would love to get my hands on a AQ6 but it's simply too expensive specially considering that import taxes in Brazil are absurdly high: at least 60% over the price of the goods + shipping (yes, we pay taxes over the fsking shipping too) and 17% over that in some states
Adilson is online now Find More Posts by Adilson