HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 07, 2012, 03:28 PM
AutoQuad OS developer
near Ithaca, NY, US
Joined Aug 2004
948 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by skew View Post
Here is a log of my vibes of my last flight do they look ok?
A bit hard to tell at that zoom level, but I think that looks pretty good. If you can keep the high frequency variations to +/-0.5 I think that is great. You would quickly notice too much vibration on the Z accel because the AQ has trouble keeping a steady altitude if those get too high. The X & Y seem a bit less sensitive, or just not quite as obvious in flight. Seems like you found a decent motor/prop/power combo to keep that frame happy. Or they're not as bad as their rep.

-Max
maximal is offline Find More Posts by maximal
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 09, 2012, 03:07 AM
DVE
Russian Federation, Sankt-Petersburg, SPB
Joined Jul 2011
578 Posts
I've received my board today

Has anyone tested it with DJI 450 frame? There were some issues about compass working on it, with some controllers.
DVE is offline Find More Posts by DVE
Old Nov 09, 2012, 03:44 AM
OS Sponsor
Germany, NRW, Dusseldorf
Joined Jun 2010
5,220 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DVE View Post

Has anyone tested it with DJI 450 frame? There were some issues about compass working on it, with some controllers.
Yes, you could do that - skew has done it and a few others, too.

Though I don't get why users want to put a 500$ brain on a 25$ plastic frame you will get good results with minor tuning.

You also need to do the Calibso again once you want to move to another frame.
kinderkram is offline Find More Posts by kinderkram
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 09, 2012, 08:19 AM
youtube.com/#/user/flyrobots
Indonesia
Joined Apr 2011
239 Posts
Hi,

I am waiting for new motor arrive (T-3506), i have some questions, if im using other motor for temporary while the new motor come, can i use this motor for dynamic calibration ? do i need to re calibrate if the new motor mounted ? during the calibration do i need to connect ESC (F-20A) to Motor ?

Thanks,

John
Flyrobot is online now Find More Posts by Flyrobot
Old Nov 10, 2012, 12:00 AM
Nederland, NH, Amsterdam
Joined Jul 2010
992 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DVE View Post

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...&postcount=358
Frank.T is offline Find More Posts by Frank.T
Old Nov 10, 2012, 09:17 PM
BelgiŽ, Vlaams Gewest, Evergem
Joined Nov 2011
738 Posts
Is the AutoQuad reliable enough to use for some filming (not over crowds, buildings, cars, streets) - if calibrated and set up well -?

I just need to know.. my AQ didn't arrive last Friday so I hope it will on Monday.

Jesse
Jessestr is offline Find More Posts by Jessestr
Old Nov 11, 2012, 08:00 AM
Friend is a 4 letter word...
3rd stone from the sun
Joined May 2007
2,670 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessestr View Post
Is the AutoQuad reliable enough to use for some filming (not over crowds, buildings, cars, streets) - if calibrated and set up well -?
Jesse
If you do the calibration and setup properly, you will be hard pressed to find anything that will give a more smooth ride for video... A search on popular video sites, will show you several examples of very good videos made with AQīs

My latest video shows (apart from fish) the kind of results you can expect from a well-tuned AQ - Hardmounted/unstabilized GoPro Hero HD @ 720/60P:

Dex AutoQuad "drowning accident" (12 min 15 sec)

Seriously, AQ was designed with AP and AV in mind...but its also good for inspection jobs and orthophotography (our "liberated" WP system makes it ideally suited for the latter)
JussiH is offline Find More Posts by JussiH
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 11, 2012, 08:21 AM
Joined Nov 2011
738 Posts
Thanks Jussi. I saw the video before and the fish . Looks really nice but I keep finding the same video's because no one is really busy putting vids online of the AQ since it isn't the most important thing tho. I've been searching for some builds .. only found like 3 / 4 builds pictures. Too bad. But this one video is good enough to convince me. Just want to do some smooth filming and fpv'ing with my copter for hobby purpose.

Also hope to help the AQ dev team if I get more into the code.

Thanks, once again

Quote:
Originally Posted by JussiH View Post
If you do the calibration and setup properly, you will be hard pressed to find anything that will give a more smooth ride for video... A search on popular video sites, will show you several examples of very good videos made with AQīs

Seriously, AQ was designed with AP and AV in mind...but its also good for inspection jobs and orthophotography (our "liberated" WP system makes it ideally suited for the latter)
Old Nov 11, 2012, 03:06 PM
DVE
Joined Jul 2011
578 Posts
I'm reading the manual and don't understand this phrase:
One S-bus receiver (or compatible) can be directly attached to the AutoQuad. As with most flightcontroller, you need to invert the signal from the S-bus.

I have Futaba 10ch with genuine R6108SB receiver. Can I directly attach it to Autoquad, or I need convertor to use it? And did I need to use 5V external pin to power it, or 3.3V is enough?
Old Nov 11, 2012, 03:10 PM
DVE
Joined Jul 2011
578 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank.T View Post
Hmm, compass and board near power lines? And its working normal?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kinderkram View Post
Though I don't get why users want to put a 500$ brain on a 25$ plastic frame you will get good results with minor tuning.
Its cheap, have internal power distribution board, and have a large space for additional electronics (osd, fpv, etc).

I saw lot of different frames in the stores, but most of them are too narrow.

The best for large electronics space, is "TBS Discovery", btw
Last edited by DVE; Nov 11, 2012 at 03:18 PM.
Old Nov 11, 2012, 04:51 PM
Just a yard bird
Las Vegas Nv.
Joined Mar 2007
1,826 Posts
Has anyone piggy backed the VectorNav VN-100 or a VN-200 Navagation system board on on of the Autoquad 6 units as of to date. If so what all is involved in doing so and does doing this elimanate all the nessceray calibration setups the are required in setting up a Autoquad 6 board. Also if you piggy back the VN-100 instead of the VN-200 does that elimanate the GPS or does it use the onboard GPS thats on the Autoquad board. I am really leaning toward purchaving a Autoquad 6 along with a VectorNav and need to know what I am stepping into with making such an investment.
Thank you
Freddie G
kd4wen is offline Find More Posts by kd4wen
Old Nov 11, 2012, 05:38 PM
Joined Nov 2011
738 Posts
Do you have to attach the GPS to fly?

I'd rather like to do the first tests without GPS.Do I have to do the calibso then when not using GPS for first tests? (if the magnetometer can be turned off like in a sort of manual mode)

Thanks
Old Nov 11, 2012, 05:53 PM
3rd stone from the sun
Joined May 2007
2,670 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kd4wen View Post
Has anyone piggy backed the VectorNav VN-100 or a VN-200 Navagation system board on on of the Autoquad 6 units as of to date. If so what all is involved in doing so and does doing this elimanate all the nessceray calibration setups the are required in setting up a Autoquad 6 board. Also if you piggy back the VN-100 instead of the VN-200 does that elimanate the GPS or does it use the onboard GPS thats on the Autoquad board. I am really leaning toward purchaving a Autoquad 6 along with a VectorNav and need to know what I am stepping into with making such an investment.
Thank you
Freddie G
VN100 is not a plug and play solution - it still requires on-frame calibration and generation of a custom file for your specific board.

As far as I know there is no code support for VN200, only for VN100. (VN200 is 3200 dollars for a thermal calibrated unit, so I doubt many will find it interesting, anyway)

It will still use the onboard GPS unit. And you will have to make a daughter board for the VN100 or remove the onboard analog IMU and its support components.

If you do the calibration properly, you wont get a better result with a VN100 - at least that is what I am told...but you may want to post the question on the forum, where Steve or Bill will see it - they are the only persons I know that have used the VN100.

If you are looking for a precalibrated unit, I can build a complete ARTF (no radio) hexacopter for you for less than 3200 dollars....
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 11, 2012, 06:10 PM
3rd stone from the sun
Joined May 2007
2,670 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessestr View Post
Do you have to attach the GPS to fly?

I'd rather like to do the first tests without GPS.Do I have to do the calibso then when not using GPS for first tests? (if the magnetometer can be turned off like in a sort of manual mode)

Thanks
No, you dont have to attach the GPS - if calibrated properly the craft will fly good without GPS attached.

You will still have to do the Calibso, since that is a integral part of the whole calibration and vital for getting the scale and bias corrected for your particular board.

All sensors are fused in the UKF, so you cant "turn off" individual components of the IMU.
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 11, 2012, 06:26 PM
Joined Nov 2011
738 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JussiH View Post
No, you dont have to attach the GPS - if calibrated properly the craft will fly good without GPS attached.

You will still have to do the Calibso, since that is a integral part of the whole calibration and vital for getting the scale and bias corrected for your particular board.

All sensors are fused in the UKF, so you cant "turn off" individual components of the IMU.
Thanks. So for calibso, have to add gps and I can remove it afterwards?

Or just to the calibso without gps, without adding it later on (unless doing a new calibso with gps)?

Just trying to keep it as minimal as possible to get a smaller set of data. So when I add thing I know where it goes wrong.

Jesse