HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 02, 2012, 08:55 PM
United States, KY, Morehead
Joined Jan 2005
155 Posts
yeah still going they just released the 2nd wave of boards and from what I read they are getting ready to release a new version of firmware. I am awaiting mine to start getting my hands dirty
skew is offline Find More Posts by skew
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 02, 2012, 09:02 PM
BelgiŽ, Vlaams Gewest, Evergem
Joined Nov 2011
738 Posts
Great to hear. However some things scare me to get the board. Like when there will be a new PCB available with better and newer sensors.. The old autoquad board will be a big loss of money..

Also the calibration looks rather difficult? I've read something about freezing the board and such? It seems that it flies really smooth.. But what are the unique selling points?

Thanks
Jessestr is offline Find More Posts by Jessestr
Old Nov 02, 2012, 09:56 PM
United States, AZ
Joined May 2010
1,824 Posts
read the wiki, look at some of the videos - those should answer most of your questions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessestr View Post
Great to hear. However some things scare me to get the board. Like when there will be a new PCB available with better and newer sensors.. The old autoquad board will be a big loss of money..

Also the calibration looks rather difficult? I've read something about freezing the board and such? It seems that it flies really smooth.. But what are the unique selling points?

Thanks
bob4432 is offline Find More Posts by bob4432
Old Nov 02, 2012, 10:53 PM
Joined Nov 2011
738 Posts
Can't find anything of new hardware.
Old Nov 03, 2012, 04:17 AM
United States, AZ
Joined May 2010
1,824 Posts
You are looking for a new board? You will have to talk to the dev team about that, but the current hardware seems to be excelling in every aspect from everything I have read and see no reason for new hardware. Most of the time hardware exceeds software for some time.
bob4432 is offline Find More Posts by bob4432
Old Nov 03, 2012, 04:45 AM
OS Sponsor
Germany, NRW, Dusseldorf
Joined Jun 2010
5,388 Posts
Quote:
Can't find anything of new hardware.
There's no new hardware - just one resistor was replaced in the last batch.
What changes the most is the software/firmware. New features being added while bugs being ironed out.

Documentation was overhauld and external hardware tested like the LED status signaling and cheap telemetry solutions with text2speech and such.

Take a look at our site/docu/forum and you'll see that the project is far from dead.

In fact there are some exciting new features in the works, all based on the same "old" hardware...
kinderkram is offline Find More Posts by kinderkram
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 03, 2012, 07:02 AM
Friend is a 4 letter word...
3rd stone from the sun
Joined May 2007
2,678 Posts
Quote:

Thanks
Well, we do not have any imminent plans to replace the HW. The current board is the product of Bill Nesbitts research for 2-3 years - there was 5 HW revisions before ending up with the V6 board. And we made sure we can produce that board for considerable time to come.

The calibration is not "difficult" in my opinion, but it takes patience and a steady hand. There is probably gonna be an offer for precalibrated RTF/ARTF systems once we are done with the Beta.

As for unique selling points: How about full autonomy, very precise position hold and navigation features. A full fledged GCS (PC or Android) with no silly limits for operation radius or number of waypoints, Logging system and analog IMU with full temperature compensation. These are features that our "competition" will charge you 3-4 times as much for. Autoquad is also the first system to use a Unscented Kalman Filter that takes full advantage of the floating point unit on the STM32F4 main MCU. Iīd say that we are well ahead on the technology and SW. And we have a lot of overhead in the current MCU, so we can add new features for a long time before having to look for a new MCU. The STM32F4 is on the "cutting edge" of MCU technology at the moment.

As for sensors. The sensor market is going backwards and most analog sensors are beeing discontinued and replaced with much slower digital sensors. We chose to stick with an Analog IMU, because it allows us to sample sensors much faster than similar digital IMUīs.

And we are very much alive and working on new features...
JussiH is offline Find More Posts by JussiH
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 03, 2012, 09:23 AM
Joined Nov 2011
738 Posts
Wow.. Really seems great. As for the calibration. I looked at the documentation. Doesn't seem hard at all now. Only a bit weird.

I also like the Unique selling points. Now few questions left: when beta is over will there be a HW change?

Will there ever be software restrictions? Like waypoints that you have to pay for each waypoint? Maybe now in the beta it's free but later on..?

Thanks
Jesse
Old Nov 03, 2012, 09:30 AM
3rd stone from the sun
Joined May 2007
2,678 Posts
Quote:
Wow.. Really seems great. As for the calibration. I looked at the documentation. Doesn't seem hard at all now. Only a bit weird.

I also like the Unique selling points. Now few questions left: when beta is over will there be a HW change?

Will there ever be software restrictions? Like waypoints that you have to pay for each waypoint? Maybe now in the beta it's free but later on..?

Thanks
Jesse
The beta only concerns software and there wont be any limitations imposed after the Beta is over. The HW will stay the same.

The only thing that may be added under a seperate license is L1 adaptive control, since that is based on closed source code from a 3rd party. But its not really relevant now, since L1 is still in internal testing and no license model has been worked out yet.
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 03, 2012, 09:41 AM
Joined Nov 2011
738 Posts
Thanks. Might just get one
Still a question about the ESC32.. Are they realyl necessary? I mean I have nfet SimonK which work great.. Don't see the advantage of the ESC32 there. It's 32-bit and it's programmable I know.. but what's the revolutionary thing about it?

Sorry, I'm so curious and excited about this project
Old Nov 03, 2012, 10:01 AM
3rd stone from the sun
Joined May 2007
2,678 Posts
Quote:
Thanks. Might just get one
Still a question about the ESC32.. Are they realyl necessary? I mean I have nfet SimonK which work great.. Don't see the advantage of the ESC32 there. It's 32-bit and it's programmable I know.. but what's the revolutionary thing about it?

Sorry, I'm so curious and excited about this project
The official answer is that ESC32 is not necessary but it is "recommended"...You will need a fast update ESC (eg: reflashed or ESC32)

The list of options for ESC32 is too many to list properly here. The main advantage is the speed and that it can be fully configured from the GCS and offers a lot of options on timing, PWM frequency and endpoint konfiguration.

Due to the use of proper gate drivers to control the Nfets, it will also be more efficient than similar ESCīs that uses transistors to switch the FETīs on/off.

ESC32 also has a real current measurement shunt, and you can calibrate your motor/prop/battery combination to be able to handle big shifts in current draw a lot faster than can be done with the PI controllers that is usually used in ESCīs.

Besides that the ESC32 offers closed loop control, which basically means that you can calibrate the ESC to be able to "predict" exact RPM/thrust for a given PWM pulse width. Again this means that the ESC can "close" the loop and update motors at up to 1Khz.

But closed loop is not really relevant for anything but L1 control at the moment. We also have an experimental (as in "use at your own risk") regenerative braking option when using closed loop RPM control.
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 03, 2012, 10:12 AM
Joined Nov 2011
738 Posts
Sounds interesting. Mine have 400Hz update rate; WIll use them for now.. Can always get esc32 later on.

Good,good. Going to sell my Naza & GPS
Is this German Engineering?

Edit: Can I use my Graupner MX12 for this FC? Hope it doesn't limit my possibilities.
Old Nov 03, 2012, 10:41 AM
Calgary Canada
Joined Jun 2006
5,130 Posts
400hz input does not equal 400hz output carfull what you read and belive.... unless your esc are flashed they are slow.

Steve
saabguyspg is online now Find More Posts by saabguyspg
Old Nov 03, 2012, 10:48 AM
Joined Nov 2011
738 Posts
It's 600Hz input.

These are my ESC:
http://abusemark.com/store/index.php...products_id=27

Good for AutoQuad?
Old Nov 03, 2012, 10:49 AM
United States, MN, St Cloud
Joined Jan 2012
551 Posts
Are there any options for OSD since most of the info is already in the fc, it would just need to be output to video
richkphoto is offline Find More Posts by richkphoto