HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 16, 2012, 03:10 AM
United States, AZ
Joined May 2010
1,820 Posts
Using different escs is possible, one of the team members/testers I am sure could let you know how much of a performance difference you could expect vs the esc32.

Out of curiosity what motors are you using? Or would this be for something other than a multirotor?

Quote:
Originally Posted by saabguyspg View Post
wow... I was considering AQ... I guess I will wait and see how this all pans out.

the biggest reason I am not buying today is that the esc are not rated for 6S.... will that be available in the future?

thanks!

Steve
bob4432 is offline Find More Posts by bob4432
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 16, 2012, 03:57 AM
YS-X6 Know why it crashes,blog
New Zealand, Auckland
Joined Nov 2007
583 Posts
imo, It is all to do with documentation
It does not matter how complicated something is, if it is well documented it is easy.
As well documented as the Arducoptor/Multiwii is , it is still time consuming to do PID Tuning.

After using the YS, the standard is now quite high for me to be happy, performance wise.
I know a $100 bag of parts won't be the same, I will have to be happy with a 10m Position Hold circle until my YS is back from major surgery.

When I buy cheap china products it is always fun to read some of the translations.
Didn't think I would see it with a high end product. I though $1k+ was high end.

Of course it depends how accessible you want AQ to be.
I guess the Calibration procedure may put some people off no matter how well documented it is
I had better start reading as my AQ is on it way
Mr_westie is offline Find More Posts by Mr_westie
Old Oct 16, 2012, 04:36 AM
AutoQuad OS developer
near Ithaca, NY, US
Joined Aug 2004
954 Posts
Quote:
wow... I was considering AQ... I guess I will wait and see how this all pans out.

the biggest reason I am not buying today is that the esc are not rated for 6S.... will that be available in the future?
Ignore Joe, he's the only one with these kind of issues, and I think they're mostly personal.

You can use any 400Hz ESC with AQ. So flash your own with Simon K's firmware, or buy some pre-flashed. I'm flying with 30A HK Blue series.

@Andre, please inform yourself by reading before posting (PPM support is built in). And the AQ is definitely NOT for newbies. Certainly not at this stage. Again, this has been stated clearly in the original post.

-Max
maximal is offline Find More Posts by maximal
Old Oct 16, 2012, 10:45 AM
Joined Dec 2010
501 Posts
I find the AQ to be a nice complete product with good documentation behind it. It takes a few hours to get it calibrated and flying but once you do you are rewarded with a smooth flying machine. I am sure that when all the bugs are ironed out this will be the FC to compare others too.
You just need to read the wiki and decide if the effort required is too much for you.
redridinghood is offline Find More Posts by redridinghood
Old Oct 16, 2012, 11:49 AM
OS Sponsor
Germany, NRW, Dusseldorf
Joined Jun 2010
5,298 Posts
The Docu & Wiki is constantly being worked on.
Our beta users helped us a lot finding gaps and missing info, uncover bugs and tinker with workarounds or finding solutions.

Almost all parts of the setup process are covered now. We'll add more illustrations, screenshots and videos on the run to make it easier for the end user.
kinderkram is offline Find More Posts by kinderkram
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 16, 2012, 11:55 AM
uavservices on MRF
Calgary Canada
Joined Jun 2006
5,091 Posts
ok cool, sorry I guess I just assumed I had to use the AQ esc (my bad need more reading)

Ok I am gonna read more, and lurk here for a while to learn learn learn...

I don't mind putting time in as I am from the days of soldering MK boards and dealing with their arrogance

Thanks again.

Steve

Quote:
Originally Posted by maximal View Post
Ignore Joe, he's the only one with these kind of issues, and I think they're mostly personal.

You can use any 400Hz ESC with AQ. So flash your own with Simon K's firmware, or buy some pre-flashed. I'm flying with 30A HK Blue series.

@Andre, please inform yourself by reading before posting (PPM support is built in). And the AQ is definitely NOT for newbies. Certainly not at this stage. Again, this has been stated clearly in the original post.

-Max
saabguyspg is offline Find More Posts by saabguyspg
Old Oct 16, 2012, 12:21 PM
Live for speed
USA, CT, Bethany
Joined Mar 2004
1,371 Posts
Steve, your ESC's will work great. They are still doing fine here (on a different quad).

The ESC32's are only required for some future functionality.

- Felix

Quote:
ok cool, sorry I guess I just assumed I had to use the AQ esc (my bad need more reading)

Ok I am gonna read more, and lurk here for a while to learn learn learn...

I don't mind putting time in as I am from the days of soldering MK boards and dealing with their arrogance

Thanks again.

Steve
GoFaster is offline Find More Posts by GoFaster
Old Oct 16, 2012, 01:32 PM
DJI SUPPORT / TESTING
United States, CA, Big Bear
Joined Jan 2006
10,795 Posts
Just to be clear, I should not have an issue running 4s, or should I just use a bec to supply power?
blade strike is online now Find More Posts by blade strike
Site Sponsor
Old Oct 16, 2012, 01:42 PM
Vulcan skyhook multirotor
South Africa, GP, Pretoria
Joined Feb 2011
665 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by maximal View Post

-Max
Then im very sorry about it my bad im was sure i was asking the question before and got an answer that it only support spectrum and fatuba sbus

Will do some more reading then

Edit:

This is taken from page1

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ste post
At the moment we only support Spektrum satellite and Futaba S-bus receivers. PPM is being worked on, but we cant promise that it will be done soon…we are however pretty sure it will happen soon, or that someone in the community will add it if we are too slow. The code is open source under GNU/GPL, so feel free to tinker and build on it yourself, or use it as inspiration for your own project.
Can someone explain how i will be able to have my hitec Aurora9 radio to work with autoquad
Andre6553 is offline Find More Posts by Andre6553
Last edited by Andre6553; Oct 16, 2012 at 01:51 PM.
Old Oct 16, 2012, 02:30 PM
OS Sponsor
Germany, NRW, Dusseldorf
Joined Jun 2010
5,298 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by blade strike View Post
Just to be clear, I should not have an issue running 4s, or should I just use a bec to supply power?
Clear, no issues.
Using 5s requires a UBEC since the 18,5V are slightly over the Recomms' specs.
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 16, 2012, 02:38 PM
OS Sponsor
Germany, NRW, Dusseldorf
Joined Jun 2010
5,298 Posts
@ Andre: Jussi doesn't update regularly.
Watch our Site/Wiki or search the forums. PPM is covered on most receivers.

And a PWM/PPM converter can be used to bridge both worlds. You're Aurora can do this.
My Aurora is equipped with a Spektrum module using the PPM out from the trainer port.
I can use any DSM2 satellite with it.

But I've also tested a cheap PPM converter and it works.
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 16, 2012, 03:10 PM
Joined Feb 2011
665 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kinderkram View Post

And a PWM/PPM converter can be used to bridge both worlds. You're Aurora can do this.
My Aurora is equipped with a Spektrum module using the PPM out from the trainer port.
I can use any DSM2 satellite with it.

But I've also tested a cheap PPM converter and it works.
Can you post more info on this setup with pictures and info where one can buy it from.

Or is all this on the autoquad forum.
Old Oct 16, 2012, 04:19 PM
Joined Feb 2011
665 Posts
This might be an option for hitec and jr radios
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1725622
Old Oct 16, 2012, 08:03 PM
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Apr 2012
752 Posts
Good find! That guy may be an option is the pwm-ppm converter doesn't work well.

Question for those using spektrum: Am i correct if reading that you do not need a "full" receiver, just the satellite?
jcmonty is offline Find More Posts by jcmonty
Old Oct 16, 2012, 09:31 PM
Friend is a 4 letter word...
3rd stone from the sun
Joined May 2007
2,676 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcmonty View Post
Good find! That guy may be an option is the pwm-ppm converter doesn't work well.

Question for those using spektrum: Am i correct if reading that you do not need a "full" receiver, just the satellite?
Just the sat is needed.

Quote:
I have just updated page 1:

Quote:
Currently we support Spektrum satellite and CPPM stream receivers. Note that CCPM at the moment can require some minor adaptation in the source code depending on your exact receiver - it is reported to work well with FrSky and paparazzi-style PPM encoders. We are working on implementing all the CPPM parameters in the gui, but at the moment you can only change the channel assignments.

We also support S-bus, but we dont have enough data from users with genuine Sbus receivers to state if its working well and is free from glitches. We have had issues reported with Futaba SBE-1 converter and FrSky Sbus recievers. Until we have more data on Sbus, we recommend that żou use the CPPM option instead.
JussiH is offline Find More Posts by JussiH
RCG Plus Member