HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Reply
Thread Tools
Old Oct 14, 2012, 03:31 PM
OS Sponsor
kinderkram's Avatar
Germany, NRW, Dusseldorf
Joined Jun 2010
5,397 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by blade strike View Post
I have been reading up as much as I can over @ the aq forums.. very solid forum, no bs!
Thx!
We always try to be clear and don't hide behind a wall of excuses or try to blame the user first if flaws occur.

If there's a bug, we call it a bug and try to address it asap.
In some cases it's nearly impossible to find the reason for a failure. Still we don't run away letting the user on his own.
So far we only had 1 drama queen around who blew his board twice by messing up the polarity on the power input. Every child knows what happens then.
He tried to sell it "better than new" later - that was the point we told him "Sorry, no more support from our side".

Very rare incident. In general most guys who join the project know what to expect...
kinderkram is offline Find More Posts by kinderkram
RCG Plus Member
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 14, 2012, 04:42 PM
Registered User
United Kingdom, Scotland, Aberdeen
Joined Mar 2010
806 Posts
Kinderkram,I like your honesty,if i get one many questions for you,from this old man,keep up the good work,Marty.
NEAGRON is offline Find More Posts by NEAGRON
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 14, 2012, 06:53 PM
Registered User
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Apr 2012
752 Posts
Question about waypoint features (couldn't glean this info from the wiki): Is there a way to set waypoints on the fly? For example, say I am flying around and pick a spot to position hold. I want to "save" this spot for future use by triggering a switch on my transmitter or some other method. Is that possible with the current firmware build?

Essentially this feature would be for returning to the exact same 3D location (+/- whatever accuracy you can get) for photo and/or video purposes. I guess another way to do it would be to set the waypoint prior to the flight and switch to position hold once you are there?

The arducopter code can do this (never tried though). http://code.google.com/p/arducopter/wiki/AC2_SimpleMode
jcmonty is offline Find More Posts by jcmonty
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 14, 2012, 08:16 PM
OS Sponsor
kinderkram's Avatar
Germany, NRW, Dusseldorf
Joined Jun 2010
5,397 Posts
Better than only storing the position would be to freeze a current state including heading, gimbal tilt and roll etc.
I could think of a third method since you can log everything in flight: synchronize the camera with the log and extract the different states from the log based on your video.
Something like a post production on a certain mission to not only reach a certain position but also a certain move.

This is all in the code/logs so this is basically not a question of the firmware but rather a function in the ground stations triggering the events or extracting the needed info in a handy way.
kinderkram is offline Find More Posts by kinderkram
RCG Plus Member
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 14, 2012, 08:22 PM
Registered User
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Apr 2012
752 Posts
Thanks, kinderkram. That could work as well. Basically the project which I am trying to do is a panoramic that captures the sunrise and sunset (doh!). So, pinpoint accuracy is going to be a must to keep the photoshopping down to a minimum.

I think first that i need to get my AQ, setup it up, calibrate it, and test it for a while..
jcmonty is offline Find More Posts by jcmonty
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 14, 2012, 08:40 PM
AutoQuad OS developer
maximal's Avatar
near Ithaca, NY, US
Joined Aug 2004
956 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcmonty View Post
For example, say I am flying around and pick a spot to position hold. I want to "save" this spot for future use by triggering a switch on my transmitter or some other method.
That would be fairly easy to do with the current logging functions. You can see RC channel signals in the log, so you can pinpoint the exact time you set a home position, for example, because the aux2 channel would move to the high spot. So then you simply zoom in on that area of the graph and check the gps position and altitude at that moment.

Once you know the position, simply create a mission with those exact coordinates (lat/lon/alt). You can then fly that mission as many times as you want, and it should, theoretically, be exactly the same each time.

-Max
maximal is offline Find More Posts by maximal
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 14, 2012, 11:43 PM
Registered User
jabram's Avatar
Australia, NSW, Kendall
Joined Jul 2012
5,483 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kinderkram View Post
Thx!
We always try to be clear and don't hide behind a wall of excuses or try to blame the user first if flaws occur.

If there's a bug, we call it a bug and try to address it asap.
In some cases it's nearly impossible to find the reason for a failure. Still we don't run away letting the user on his own.
So far we only had 1 drama queen around who blew his board twice by messing up the polarity on the power input. Every child knows what happens then.
He tried to sell it "better than new" later - that was the point we told him "Sorry, no more support from our side".

Very rare incident. In general most guys who join the project know what to expect...
Kinderkram,

I have avoided making any comments on any AQ forums since Bill Nesbitt refused to support his design to me a paying customer, all I wanted was some help to restore GND connections after my AQ board fried when all I did was connect a fully charged 4S lipo, something that should have worked just fine.

I only asked for his help because the AQ HARDWARE IS CLOSED SOURCE, something I thought would not be a problem, I was seriously wrong about that.

Twisting the facts as you did in your post and ridiculing one paying customer - ME - when in the same post you say you don't do that has prompted me to respond and lay it all out concise and clear for everyone contemplating testing AQ to judge for themselves and to be aware of exactly what it is they are getting into.

I purchased AQ6 together with 6 ESC32 from JussiH on 9 July 2012, I paid USD $675.14 or 527.40 Euros, not an insignificant amount.

All I have left from my USD 675.14 investment that is of any use to me is the ceramic GPS antenna patch which I am using with a CRIUS AIOP with MP NG firmware and it flies very nicely in my hexacopter.

AQ has no reverse polarity protection nor any fuses, nor any form of current limit, a serious design flaw when it is connected to a Lipo that can deliver a lot of current.

When you are carefully mounting the board in a finished frame this may not be an issue. Although it will be during a crash.

However when you are connecting and disconnecting the board from a battery to do the static calibrations 3 times or more there is a very good chance that the lack of polarity reversal protection WILL become a serious issue as it did with me when I accidentally applied reverse polarity battery during one static calibration.

The AQ Team did make me out to be an idiot following my accident. most unprofessional.

Even Bill Nesbit joined the make Joe look like an idiot party.

This is not what you are so nicely posting here for potential new Beta testers

After I reported on AQ forum that my AQ had been damaged by reverse polarity,
JussiH sent me a PM in which he offered to replace my supposedly dead AQ with a new one for only 150 Euros on CONDITION that I return my supposedly dead AQ board.


I fixed it myself by replacing the 2 RECOM for a total cost of only $34.

I did notice that the RECOM max input voltage was very close to the $S voltage I intended to use, I asked on the AQ forum if I should use another equivalent Murata power supply with a higher maximum input voltage and I was advised by one of the Team that Bill Nesbitt ahd spent a long time on this design and I should not change it, unfortunately I did follow that advice and repalced the 2 dead RECOM with 2 exact same part number RECOM, I should have gone with my gut feeling about the RECOM max input voltage sailing to close to the 4S voltage..

When I reported on AQ forum that I had fixed my AQ board by simply replacing the 2 RECOM, the same JussiH immediately posted that he already knew that only the 2 RECOM would need to be replaced as he had also applied reverse polarity before I did and found it could be easily fixed by replacing the 2 RECOM.

That I consider to be dishonest specially when this is supposed to be a Beta test.

JussiH did NOT offer the correct cheap quick advise which he already knew about that is replace the 2 RECOM myslef, instead he offered the wait for next batch and pay 150 Euros and post my AQ baord back to JussiH, a dishonest solution offer.

You congratulated me for fixing my AQ board, remember ?

After replacing the RECOM and testing that everything on my AQ board worked I did consider my AQ better than new - the reason - I had already fixed up that really bad soldering on my AQ board when I received it new after you guys with that European Quality you keep reminding us had supposedly inspecting it and performed Quality Control, which obviously you guys did NOT do, many other users reported bad soldering with one user posting photos of a connector that was soldered to his AQ board about 10 mm from where it should have been.

At that point I was very disappointed by JussiH attempted deception, and I offered my AQ for sale, yes I did say it was better than new simply because that was TRUE.

I had intended to forget AQ but unfortunately I changed my mind and continued to wasted more of my time by deciding to continue, I had performed the static calibration using a 12 Volt battery, when I installed the AQ in my hexcopter frame and connected a 4S Lipo one of the RECOMs dramatically failed internally because the 4S voltage is very close to the maximum input voltage rating of the RECOM, this burnt a small hole on the RECOM GND connection.

When I asked for help finding an alternate GND connection because the hardware is closed source. My post asking for help was ignored, you did not respond, none of the Team responded.

When I posted a sarcastic remark asking why my plea for help was being ignored Bill Nesbitt stepped up to the plate to ridicule me, at least he did have the guts to say he would not support a paying customer because of "my attitude" an extraordinary admission. We take your money but if you make any adverse comment we drop you, oh and we do want your Beta Tester feedback but only if it is complimentary.

You then posted asking for my "motives" which I found ridiculously insulting so I did not reply, I was simply going to forget about AQ until I saw your post above.

Bill Nesbitt does not tolerate any negative remarks about his hardware design, pity because there are a lot of things that do need changing in his hardware design.

I notice only very recently there are 2 resistors have now been changed to enable measuring battery voltages above 15 Volts even though it was always said AQ was designed for voltages above 15 Volts.

The 2 RECOM do NOT belong on that board, it is much simpler and much safer to have a UBEC provide current limited 5 volts to the board instead of the full Lipo voltage with no current limit whatsoever appearing all over the AQ board, what happens in a crash ? or an accidental short circuit ? magic smoke ? fire ?

The UBLOX GPS data sheet is very specific about how the traces should be laid out on a PCB with uses their module, it says NOT to have traces under the module, AQ has traces under the module, it says not to have traces under the GPS antenna connector, AQ has the socket for Spektrum satellite a constant stream of digital data right under the GPS antenna socket.

ESC32 - no thought was given to allow a heatsink to be easily installed, the power supply is well, a mess.

Despite all the above I could be interested in trying AQ again BUT ONLY after the AQ6 and ESC32 boards are redesigned and the full schematics are published for peer scrutiny.

Joe.
jabram is offline Find More Posts by jabram
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 15, 2012, 02:46 AM
AutoQuad OS developer
maximal's Avatar
near Ithaca, NY, US
Joined Aug 2004
956 Posts
Joe,

I came late to your party, thankfully, but from what I've seen on the AQ forums, you were treated with nothing but courtesy until you started your little hate campaign. I was actually very impressed they continued to try to help you after your first know-it-all post on there. Norbert especially has been nothing but diplomatic with you (his post sums up the situation nicely, I thought). So I'm afraid you're way off base and can't tell what your motivation is either.

I've been flying the AQ with 4S, as have many others, with no adverse effects. No holes have magically appeared on my board. Nor do a see the polarized power connector as creating "a very good chance" of reversing polarity. You also have a "very good chance" of cutting a finger off when setting up a multirotor (your getting your throat cut with a heli) -- but I don't see steel gloves or prop guards typically included. If it worried you that much, a simple diode placed in the power lead would have done the trick (but you would know that, being the electronics expert).

Bottom line is that the AQ team have been great -- very helpful and treat everyone with the respect they deserve. It has motivated me to try to help others on the forum and with the project in general.

Cheers,
-Max
maximal is offline Find More Posts by maximal
Last edited by maximal; Oct 15, 2012 at 03:54 AM. Reason: diplomatic corrections ;)
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 15, 2012, 04:51 AM
OS Sponsor
kinderkram's Avatar
Germany, NRW, Dusseldorf
Joined Jun 2010
5,397 Posts
Joe: You forgot to mention that Jussi offered you full refund after you uncovered the "solder flaw" which I personally was thankful for, since this helped to go for another round with our manufacturer. Result: only 1 board of the second batch was faulty, anything else was perfect.
After you burnt your board he offered you a good price again (heck - even my protos costed me more!) but you refused Jussi's offer again...

We always try to treat our "paying customers" well since they are the base for the beta.
But if someone with 35 years of electronical experience reverses the polarity and tries to blame the hw design for that reason ... well ... no further comment!
kinderkram is offline Find More Posts by kinderkram
RCG Plus Member
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 15, 2012, 04:58 AM
Registered User
United Kingdom, Scotland, Aberdeen
Joined Mar 2010
806 Posts
Hi Joe,all this bikering serves no purpose,if your not happyjust move on,we all buy and do things we regret,its part of life,its your choice,i wish you the very best.Marty.

p/s I dont have one at present but will be buying one mid Nov.
NEAGRON is offline Find More Posts by NEAGRON
Last edited by NEAGRON; Oct 15, 2012 at 10:23 AM.
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 15, 2012, 08:28 AM
Live for speed
GoFaster's Avatar
USA, CT, Bethany
Joined Mar 2004
1,371 Posts
I've learned that you can't please everyone, even if you go above and beyond.
GoFaster is offline Find More Posts by GoFaster
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 15, 2012, 08:56 PM
Registered User
jabram's Avatar
Australia, NSW, Kendall
Joined Jul 2012
5,483 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kinderkram View Post
Joe: You forgot to mention that Jussi offered you full refund after you uncovered the "solder flaw" which I personally was thankful for, since this helped to go for another round with our manufacturer. Result: only 1 board of the second batch was faulty, anything else was perfect.
After you burnt your board he offered you a good price again (heck - even my protos costed me more!) but you refused Jussi's offer again...

We always try to treat our "paying customers" well since they are the base for the beta.
But if someone with 35 years of electronical experience reverses the polarity and tries to blame the hw design for that reason ... well ... no further comment!
Kinderkram, I am certain you understand exactly the sequence of events and are just pretending you are confused.

Did you actually read my last reply ? did you understand it ?

In your post to which I replied, you implied that support was withdrawn because I tried to sell a damaged board and claimed it was better than new. You know that is absolutely not true.

I did damage my AQ board with reverse polarity, but then I fixed it, by replacing the 2 damaged RECOM, all fixed 100%.

JusssiH AGREED that is a normal valid 100% fix.

So why do you keep twisting the facts, and keep raising the polarity reversal ? that is long 100% repaired, fixed, over, OK, got it now?

That is NOT the reason AQ team and Bill Nesbitt withdrew all support.

After my AQ6 board was fixed 100% I installed it in a hex frame and connected a brand new fully charged 4S battery which delivered 16.8 volts, it was then the RECOM dramatically failed. It failed because 16.8 volts is very close to the maximum input ratings for the RECOM used in the AQ6 design.

Nothing to do with reverse polarity, got it now ?

It was then I asked for help locating an alternate GND connection because AQ6 is closed hardware source, so I can only get the information from the AQ6 team, that information/support was refused because of as Bill Nesbitt put it my "attitude"

Do you now understand?

And why when you posted earlier that you don't blame the customer for AQ6 flaws do you keep repeating your demeaning remarks about the polarity reversal which was 100% fixed long ago ?.

Why did you ask what my motive was ?

Do you actually believe I spent all that time and money to sabotage your AQ6 beta ? I seriously doubt that, just more smoke and mirrors, blame the customer for AQ6 flaws.
jabram is offline Find More Posts by jabram
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 15, 2012, 11:11 PM
Registered User
saabguyspg's Avatar
Calgary Canada
Joined Jun 2006
5,131 Posts
wow... I was considering AQ... I guess I will wait and see how this all pans out.

the biggest reason I am not buying today is that the esc are not rated for 6S.... will that be available in the future?

thanks!

Steve
saabguyspg is offline Find More Posts by saabguyspg
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 16, 2012, 02:25 AM
Vulcan skyhook multirotor
Andre6553's Avatar
South Africa, GP, Pretoria
Joined Feb 2011
665 Posts
The reason im not buying is because it only support spectrum and fatuba s-bus and have to do modification for other radios.

This is stuff the developers need to know most off the people is not electical engeneers sure many newbies dont even know what a ESC is! Not saying this is for newbies but people in general like simplicity if you can give them that you will have the market especially over DJI and zerouav because it offers so much more.
If you want a huge market suport all types of radio's!

Edit:
Quote:
Originally Posted by maximal View Post

@Andre, please inform yourself by reading before posting (PPM support is built in). And the AQ is definitely NOT for newbies. Certainly not at this stage. Again, this has been stated clearly in the original post.

-Max
Andre6553 is offline Find More Posts by Andre6553
Last edited by Andre6553; Oct 16, 2012 at 01:44 PM.
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 16, 2012, 03:03 AM
Registered User
bob4432's Avatar
United States, AZ
Joined May 2010
1,826 Posts
Pretty sure it supports PPM too. That should cover all radios.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andre6553 View Post
The reason im not buying is because it only support spectrum and fatuba s-bus and have to do modification for other radios.

This is stuff the developers need to know most off the people is not electical engeneers sure many newbies dont even know what a ESC is! Not saying this is for newbies but people in general like simplicity if you can give them that you will have the market especially over DJI and zerouav because it offers so much more.
If you want a huge market suport all types of radio's!
bob4432 is offline Find More Posts by bob4432
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
New Product Autoquad team proudly presents: Autoquad ESC32 JussiH Multirotor Electronics 274 Oct 31, 2014 11:19 AM
Discussion Naza dji sh gps - south hemisphere public beta testers results! Velociraptor73 Multirotor Talk 26 Nov 20, 2012 02:45 AM
Discussion How Bloomberg's Soft Drink Ban Will Backfire on NYC Public Health MtnGoat Life, The Universe, and Politics 1 Jun 27, 2012 12:19 AM
Discussion The AutoQuad! [ video ] kapteinkuk Multirotor Talk 5 Jun 10, 2012 12:19 PM
Download G-3 Public Beta (.426) is out. Includes Airplane Importer! L0stS0ul Simulators 37 Mar 03, 2006 06:28 PM