HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 13, 2012, 09:22 AM
OS Sponsor
Germany, NRW, Dusseldorf
Joined Jun 2010
5,388 Posts
I wonder if this dive had anything to do with his decision joining the beta test?

The Dex Octo is a real beauty btw. The landing gears are also nice.
Can't wait to see the AQ working on this.
Please tell him not to do the first flights over that pond - even if it's waterproof!
kinderkram is offline Find More Posts by kinderkram
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 13, 2012, 02:03 PM
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Apr 2012
752 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JussiH View Post
Drowned my Dex Autoquad on thursday - got it back on friday. Thanks to Dennis Frie for jumping in after it...

This is the first (and hopefully last) time I have filmed fish with a Quad

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oFEXA3kzA8Y
I did that before with my APM.. everything except the ESCs survived. Didn't get lucky with a fish though

What was the reason of the crash?
jcmonty is offline Find More Posts by jcmonty
Old Oct 13, 2012, 02:11 PM
OS Sponsor
Germany, NRW, Dusseldorf
Joined Jun 2010
5,388 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcmonty View Post
What was the reason of the crash?
Over-excitement over one beautiful quad flying smoothly with a hardmounted go pro in a nice environment ... I guess.

Pssst: Jussi forgot about the lipo - no more juice. Eeeek!
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 13, 2012, 02:14 PM
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Apr 2012
752 Posts
Ah so no crazy firmware glitch or hardware malfunction, eh

One of the reasons I love my Hitec A9 is because you can see the voltage of your packs if you are using the SPC port. It helps out when you forget how long you are flying.
jcmonty is offline Find More Posts by jcmonty
Old Oct 13, 2012, 02:53 PM
Schweiz, AG, Schneisingen
Joined Mar 2011
708 Posts
Quote:
Drowned my Dex Autoquad on thursday - got it back on friday. Thanks to Dennis Frie for jumping in after it...

This is the first (and hopefully last) time I have filmed fish with a Quad
i always thought autoquad is superior.
now i see they go through the normal development cycle.

thumbs up for filming fish using a quadcopter

this event is beyond my budget.
robert b is offline Find More Posts by robert b
Old Oct 13, 2012, 03:15 PM
Friend is a 4 letter word...
3rd stone from the sun
Joined May 2007
2,678 Posts
Clearly a case of "operator error"...

Here is the Vin log - clear to see that Vin drops to 7V under load and then recovers to 10.5V after motors stopped. Logged until water came in to compartment and shut the board down...

JussiH is offline Find More Posts by JussiH
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 13, 2012, 06:51 PM
DJI SUPPORT / TESTING
United States, CA, Big Bear
Joined Jan 2006
11,122 Posts
Quote:
Clearly a case of "operator error"...

Here is the Vin log - clear to see that Vin drops to 7V under load and then recovers to 10.5V after motors stopped. Logged until water came in to compartment and shut the board down...

Ouch... but almost worth it with a video like that!! See.. no guessing there, very nice log output...

Cant wait for mine, dont know how long it takes to get here but I did order it on tuesday. Have a lot of reading to do anyways, looks like something right up my alley though.
blade strike is offline Find More Posts by blade strike
Site Sponsor
Latest blog entry: DJI Pilot App *BETA* Overview
Old Oct 14, 2012, 04:35 AM
OS Sponsor
Germany, NRW, Dusseldorf
Joined Jun 2010
5,388 Posts
Yep, the logging and visualization part of the AQ software is outstanding.
Every li'l fart of the board will get logged so there's nothing that can be hidden from the user's view. That way we already found several bugs to iron out...

You will meet an active and helpful community at our forums - helpful in many ways. Not only are some beta testers supporting newcomers with their experiences and findings gathered in the last 3 months - some already got invited to the team or helping out moderating the forums, while others tinker with external hardware for telemetry, OSD, ground stations and such.

And there's much more to come: lots of new ideas and new features being worked on in the background.

So all in all the AQ project is moving as expected: slowly but constantly. I hope that the last part of the beta batch which is rolling out right now will lead us to a more polished, user friendly product.

btw: EU -> US usually takes 1 week, depending on the behaviour of your local customs. So I guess you don't have to wait too long...
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 14, 2012, 08:48 AM
United States, MN, St Cloud
Joined Jan 2012
551 Posts
Board assembly

How hard is the fc to assemble and program as I have never done one of these before and now that I'mgetting older my vision isn't as sharp as it use to be, also how hard are they to sent up . For a novice how long will it take from the time I receive it to the the time I get in the airr.
I contacted Viacopter and asked what the price was in the US and he hasn't replied(I did this about 4 days ago), I'heard the price is lower in the US because we don't pay the vat tax. I;d like to know how much the price is ,what else I need to order and how
Rich
richkphoto is offline Find More Posts by richkphoto
Old Oct 14, 2012, 09:55 AM
Discovering the joys of flying
Brazil, SC, Joinville
Joined Aug 2012
818 Posts
I'm dying to jump the bandwagon but the hardware is, unfortunately, still too expensive for me. I'll wait a bit more to see if when it gets into production the price drops.
Adilson is offline Find More Posts by Adilson
Old Oct 14, 2012, 10:06 AM
United Kingdom, Scotland, Aberdeen
Joined Mar 2010
802 Posts
Hi KinderKram,im woundering if the AutoQuad would work on my windows XP laptop,many thanks,Marty.
NEAGRON is offline Find More Posts by NEAGRON
Old Oct 14, 2012, 10:21 AM
Nederland, NH, Amsterdam
Joined Jul 2010
992 Posts
It works on my XP laptop

//Frank
Frank.T is offline Find More Posts by Frank.T
Old Oct 14, 2012, 11:28 AM
DJI SUPPORT / TESTING
United States, CA, Big Bear
Joined Jan 2006
11,122 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kinderkram View Post
Yep, the logging and visualization part of the AQ software is outstanding.
Every li'l fart of the board will get logged so there's nothing that can be hidden from the user's view. That way we already found several bugs to iron out...

You will meet an active and helpful community at our forums - helpful in many ways. Not only are some beta testers supporting newcomers with their experiences and findings gathered in the last 3 months - some already got invited to the team or helping out moderating the forums, while others tinker with external hardware for telemetry, OSD, ground stations and such.

And there's much more to come: lots of new ideas and new features being worked on in the background.

So all in all the AQ project is moving as expected: slowly but constantly. I hope that the last part of the beta batch which is rolling out right now will lead us to a more polished, user friendly product.

btw: EU -> US usually takes 1 week, depending on the behaviour of your local customs. So I guess you don't have to wait too long...
I have been reading up as much as I can over @ the aq forums.. very solid forum, no bs! I hope at some point I can add to the project in some way but need to get my feet wet first..

1 week.... Nice, cant wait
blade strike is offline Find More Posts by blade strike
Site Sponsor
Latest blog entry: DJI Pilot App *BETA* Overview
Old Oct 14, 2012, 12:45 PM
Friend is a 4 letter word...
3rd stone from the sun
Joined May 2007
2,678 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by richkphoto View Post
How hard is the fc to assemble and program as I have never done one of these before and now that I'mgetting older my vision isn't as sharp as it use to be, also how hard are they to sent up . For a novice how long will it take from the time I receive it to the the time I get in the airr.
I contacted Viacopter and asked what the price was in the US and he hasn't replied(I did this about 4 days ago), I'heard the price is lower in the US because we don't pay the vat tax. I;d like to know how much the price is ,what else I need to order and how
Rich
Sorry about that, seems your mail was caught by my spam filter, and I get like 50 mails a day, so it got lost.

To answer your questions:

If you ask me, its not hard to assemble the headers on the board, if you know your way around a soldering iron. Otherwise, I can make you an offer for assembling the board, but there is a few days turnaround for that - and its generally something I try to avoid.

The "time to get airborne" is a product of how much dedication you put into it. The calibration can be done in 1-2 days. So if your frame is ready when you get the board, you should be able to get it airborne soon.

Price for customers outside EU is 319,2 E (25% VAT is deducted). The kit includes all motor headers, power connector/wire, headers for jumpers, a 1*2 jumper and the GPS antenna.

Stuff you might also need (log in with a non-EU adress to see prices without VAT):

USB/serial adapter:
http://www.viacopter.eu/index.php?pa...mart&Itemid=53

GPS groundplane shield:

Fast update ESC´s:
(ESC32 is recommended, but SimonK´s will also work)

I also recommend getting some form of wireless data radio for tuning and mission upload. Anything from a simple Bluetooth/serial adapter to Xbee´s or 3DR radios will work well. If you buy 3DR radios or Xbees, make sure that the frequencys used are actually legal where you live

You will also need a uSD card. I recommend getting a SanDisk class 10 card, but PNY and Transcend has been known to work too.
JussiH is offline Find More Posts by JussiH
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 14, 2012, 01:04 PM
United Kingdom, Scotland, Aberdeen
Joined Mar 2010
802 Posts
Thanks for that Frank,I hope to get one mid Nov,yours,Marty.
NEAGRON is offline Find More Posts by NEAGRON