HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 16, 2012, 04:07 PM
AutoQuad OS developer
near Ithaca, NY, US
Joined Aug 2004
954 Posts
I just decided to go with the SBE-1 converter as well (with FrSky Tx module and Rx). Hopefully that works well. My one question/concern is if the FC will be able to detect radio link loss properly (for failsafe modes). I understand that the FrSky failsafe has to be disabled entirely first (press Rx bind button while Tx is off). Just wonder how that will translate via the s-bus converter. I guess we'll see!

Can anyone confirm that in this diagram (from the AQ Wiki) "JP1" is the Autoquad side? The "output" and "input" are confusing me... the ground pin in the middle seems like it's on the AQ side according to the pinout diagram on the same wiki page.

Also I'm presuming the SBE-1 gets power from the Rx (input) side... does anyone know for sure? The Futaba manual isn't very clear on that point.

Thanks!
-Max
maximal is offline Find More Posts by maximal
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 16, 2012, 05:37 PM
Joined Nov 2011
134 Posts
SBE-1 gets power from receiver, it has four (if I recall correctly ) fully stuffed servo connectors with 3 pins each, the rest has only 1 pin for signal so chances are high that one of the four fully equipped connectors will get some power out of the receiver.

Worked perfectly for me here, converting a standard JETI receiver into S.Bus.
Knilch is offline Find More Posts by Knilch
Old Aug 17, 2012, 10:29 AM
Australia, NSW, Kendall
Joined Jul 2012
5,416 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by maximal View Post
I just decided to go with the SBE-1 converter as well (with FrSky Tx module and Rx). Hopefully that works well. My one question/concern is if the FC will be able to detect radio link loss properly (for failsafe modes). I understand that the FrSky failsafe has to be disabled entirely first (press Rx bind button while Tx is off). Just wonder how that will translate via the s-bus converter. I guess we'll see!

Can anyone confirm that in this diagram (from the AQ Wiki) "JP1" is the Autoquad side? The "output" and "input" are confusing me... the ground pin in the middle seems like it's on the AQ side according to the pinout diagram on the same wiki page.

Also I'm presuming the SBE-1 gets power from the Rx (input) side... does anyone know for sure? The Futaba manual isn't very clear on that point.

Thanks!
-Max
What is labelled as JP1 is the female connector on the end of the S.Bus inverter cable

JP1 connects to the J7 male socket on the AutoQuad board

JP2 connects to the S.Bus output from your receiver.
Joe
jabram is offline Find More Posts by jabram
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by jabram; Aug 17, 2012 at 10:31 AM. Reason: correction
Old Aug 17, 2012, 10:33 AM
AutoQuad OS developer
near Ithaca, NY, US
Joined Aug 2004
954 Posts
Thanks Joe. Input/output of the converter itself... makes sense to me now

-Max
Old Aug 17, 2012, 06:19 PM
Aerhead
MN
Joined Mar 2009
213 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kinderkram View Post
Interesting idea on that "target device" on the cap, Larry!
Do you have a photo of it?

The reason I suggested an onboard video: you can see much easier if there's strange behaviour of the craft especially if you fly it farther away, i.e. on missions. You see if it wobbles or shakes on certain moves, if it turns in the right direction etc.

Things you don't see from a distance when the craft is only a small dot in the sky.

btw: the remaing batch is nearly sold out!
There are only a few boards left in Jussi's store:
http://viacopter.eu/index.php?page=s...mart&Itemid=53
Here is a photo of the Cap cam. It's not pretty but it works

Next time I'll cut a slot in the cap's bill to lower the camera as far as possible.

When the camera is turned on the lense keeps the camera from coming off the cap.
Aerhead is offline Find More Posts by Aerhead
Last edited by Aerhead; Dec 09, 2012 at 06:30 PM.
Old Aug 18, 2012, 03:42 PM
AutoQuad OS developer
near Ithaca, NY, US
Joined Aug 2004
954 Posts
DK to US/NY in less than a week! Thanks for the quick ship Jussi! The fun begins... soon...

-Max
Old Aug 18, 2012, 04:32 PM
Vulcan skyhook multirotor
South Africa, GP, Pretoria
Joined Feb 2011
665 Posts
I miss out on the last batch so i buy the ys x6 and 1 st fiddle with that would maybe get the aq esc for it.
Andre6553 is offline Find More Posts by Andre6553
Old Aug 19, 2012, 01:32 PM
OS Sponsor
Germany, NRW, Dusseldorf
Joined Jun 2010
5,307 Posts
@ Larry: cool cam cap!
My hand camera would be too heavy for this - I'd need a helmet instead.

@ Max: welcome to the club! With the help of the team and the other beta testers you'll be getting it airborne soon. A small but very active and helpful community has formed around the beta.

@ Andre: Good luck. The YSX6 seems to be a good alternative for the DJI WKM.

Next batch of the AQ6 will be available in September.
kinderkram is offline Find More Posts by kinderkram
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 21, 2012, 12:39 PM
Joined Aug 2010
62 Posts
Religiously following the AQ6.6 development thread. I have back ground with DJI and Arducopter and based upon the videos and the development of AQ , I was hoping to have a solid open source FC and a lots of video feed back from the first batch of buyers.
I hope we are going to have some better videos with feedback pretty soon
farooq_niaZ is offline Find More Posts by farooq_niaZ
Old Aug 21, 2012, 01:17 PM
AutoQuad OS developer
near Ithaca, NY, US
Joined Aug 2004
954 Posts
I could post a video of it sitting in my chest freezer... would that help?

Working great here so far. Everything soldered up nice, firmware installed, mavlink established, BT dongle tested, Android app connects. First static run completed, log graphs look almost perfect. Pretty easy to work with, especially thanks to the great wiki docs (it's pretty much all in there, just gotta make sure to read everything once first before starting). Good stuff!

-Max
Old Aug 21, 2012, 02:16 PM
OS Sponsor
Germany, NRW, Dusseldorf
Joined Jun 2010
5,307 Posts
Thx Max, we're doing our best to keep the Wiki updated.

Sounds like you're making good progress.

Dunno why people sometimes miss the info - maybe some are not using the main pages from the drop down menu so they miss important intro info.

That's why we've created a site map where you can see all Wiki links at once:
http://autoquad.org/wiki
kinderkram is offline Find More Posts by kinderkram
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 22, 2012, 02:12 AM
Quadcopter Addict
Joined Nov 2011
322 Posts
Mine should be here tomorrow. If I can get past the soldering I will be ok. Old eyes, shaky hands and a cheap soldering iron don't help.

Anyone have any luck with TC's ppm code yet? It will work with FrSky ppm, right? That is all I have available.
oddcopter is offline Find More Posts by oddcopter
Old Aug 22, 2012, 02:47 AM
Green slimy creature
Kyiv, Ukraine
Joined Jun 2010
382 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by oddcopter View Post
Mine should be here tomorrow. If I can get past the soldering I will be ok. Old eyes, shaky hands and a cheap soldering iron don't help.

Anyone have any luck with TC's ppm code yet? It will work with FrSky ppm, right? That is all I have available.
It works (with some modifications) for me. FrSky D8R V2 with CPPM firmware, FrSky Tx module on Futaba T8UH transmitter.

Igor
Lyagukh is offline Find More Posts by Lyagukh
Old Aug 22, 2012, 03:05 AM
AutoQuad OS developer
near Ithaca, NY, US
Joined Aug 2004
954 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kinderkram View Post
Dunno why people sometimes miss the info - maybe some are not using the main pages from the drop down menu so they miss important intro info.

That's why we've created a site map where you can see all Wiki links at once:
http://autoquad.org/wiki
Yea I was doing that at first too (using the dropdown menu and missing the intro pages). Now I use the wiki index (site map) as my starting point.

And don't feel bad when people don't read/find the info in the docs. After 16 years of writing software and documenting it, I can assure, with regret, you that some people simply don't/won't/can't RTFM. Sad but true. But of course that doesn't diminish the value of good docs. At least you can link people to the relevant page which they didn't read...

Time to go defrost the AQ again...

-Max
Old Aug 22, 2012, 08:11 AM
Quadcopter Addict
Joined Nov 2011
322 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyagukh View Post
It works (with some modifications) for me. FrSky D8R V2 with CPPM firmware, FrSky Tx module on Futaba T8UH transmitter.

Igor
What modifications?
oddcopter is offline Find More Posts by oddcopter