Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Aug 06, 2012, 12:35 PM
Joined Feb 2009
563 Posts
I for one love the project tomorrow I will do the dynamics. Then it can calculate the entire wensday and then thursday flying
rwijnhov is online now Find More Posts by rwijnhov
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 06, 2012, 12:42 PM
Green slimy creature
Kyiv, Ukraine
Joined Jun 2010
382 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DVE View Post
Its a hardware problem (this board cannot fly with easy algorithm), or you just don't want to do it?
First of all, it is not a problem, it is a feature . The board contains CPU so you can run about any algorithm on it , but the firmware developed by Bill relies on calibration/calculations heavily. Let me explain a little bit more and I beg your pardon in advance if I go into things already known to you.

Every electronic component (especially sensor) - even from one and the same manufacturer run - has it's individual characteristics. Every motor is different, every ESC is different too. Different people use different frames. As a result each copter is as individual as fingerprints. Most of copter programs use what you call an "easy algorithm" - that is: ignore the differences and expect the customer to use PID control parameters to account for them. This results in yourself spending day after day trying to fine-tune those damned P, I and D so that your copter behaves more or less stable. All in all, this is "easy algorithm" for developers but not so easy on end-users if you want stability - and without stability you'd better forget about navigation, POI, etc.

With AQ you take a different way: you spend some time on calibration/calculations and get much closer to stability from the start, so your efforts on those procedures get quickly paid off. In fact I have not done any PID tuning for my AQ 6.1 at all - it was stable enough after calibrations. You can compare results here: http://www.i-frog.net/index.php/diary/92-autoquad-ng with the best I've ever got from Arducopter with it's traditional "easy algorithm" approach: http://www.i-frog.net/index.php/diary/64--q-q . In fact, from my (perhaps exaggerated) point of view , AQ is easier for end-users who really aim for stability/waypoints/aerial video. Easier in the sense that you will reach good results in less time with less hassle.

I hope you see now that this is NOT like "wizard mode" in Windows or "easy mode" on your SLR/camcorder. There instead of fiddling with a horde of parameters you can just press a magic button which sets some reasonable default values and gets you acceptable (albeit not ideal) pictures. Here "reasonable" values depend heavily on your setup and will definitely differ from one case to another. If it were not so, there would be no such diversity in available controllers/programs - the first who introduced an easy hassle-free setup acceptable for all and every combination of sensors/motors/ESC/frames/... will have the market to himself (provided it costs less than a fortune )

Now, if you are for aggressive "sports" type of flying - AQ is not for you. There are lots of cheaper controllers which will give you what you want. This is especially true since AQ is still in beta stage so in theory everything can go wrong.

Quote:
If 1st, I can understand it, if 2nd, its strange - you only reduce the sales. There are people, who wants POI flight, Android GS and other cool features, but they don't need super-stable hovering.
Good stability is a prerequisite to POI flight/navigation. Would you be happy to design a nice flying mission over Hermitage only to discover your copter is actually flying somewhere around Admiralty or Chernaya Rechka subway station? But if you insist - there are navigation capable "easy algorithm" controllers out there

Igor
Lyagukh is offline Find More Posts by Lyagukh
Old Aug 06, 2012, 12:51 PM
Green slimy creature
Kyiv, Ukraine
Joined Jun 2010
382 Posts
Quote:
I've already heard it from CopterControl team... And where are they now? Great start, and no progress last 2 years...
Go tell it to OpenPilot team . But let us wait and see...
Lyagukh is offline Find More Posts by Lyagukh
Old Aug 06, 2012, 08:41 PM
Friend is a 4 letter word...
3rd stone from the sun
Joined May 2007
2,670 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-unit View Post
Were are the flight videos of the people that got this FC ??
I trust you already saw FrankTīs video:
AQ6 First flight (1 min 31 sec)

First successfull mission flight from a beta tester:

AQ 6.5 waypoint part 2 (1 min 57 sec)

http://forum.autoquad.org/viewtopic....6&p=2224#p2224

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoFaster View Post
Alternatively, someone could sell Autoquad RTF copters that are precalibrated for that specific configuration. For a price.
That can be arranged...

Quote:
Its a hardware problem (this board cannot fly with easy algorithm), or you just don't want to do it?
Itīs just not something that we focus on, sry. The source code is open under GPL3 so its up for grabs as long as changes are made public in accordance with the license. And we encourage people to work with the code and modify it any way they see fit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyagukh View Post
Go tell it to OpenPilot team . But let us wait and see...
I view the good people at OP as our "spiritual brothers" and I wish them all the best for the revolution. When they release I am sure it will live up to the expectations and be good for the hobby, and I also agree with Igor that we should have the courtesy not to discuss their project here...

We are gonna put up a small qty of the boards in the coming days. I would appreciate that if you already got a board, you let it pass to someone else for now But they will be sold on "first come, first served" basis and we will give a headsup here and on the forum in advance. We are still in beta!

People that ordered their beta board from Viacopter in july can reserve a second board with 10 percent discount from the run that is planned for ultimo august.
JussiH is offline Find More Posts by JussiH
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 07, 2012, 04:02 AM
OS Sponsor
Germany, NRW, Dusseldorf
Joined Jun 2010
5,193 Posts
Some more user videos of maiden flights in manual mode:

AQ 6.6 maiden flight (2 min 34 sec)

AQ 6.6. (3 min 32 sec)

AQ 6.6 (1 min 20 sec)
kinderkram is offline Find More Posts by kinderkram
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 07, 2012, 10:08 AM
Joined Feb 2009
563 Posts
Ok just some hands on experience from me. I am loving this board. I only did one static calibration and only let the programm calculate 3 loops per calibration round. So i cut the edges big time. I just wanted to get it in the air first to get some initial experience. (total setup time 2 hours for the board) Let me tell you for this price this thing vaporizes the wookong. I just flew in high winds and the quad just sat there. I dont use a gps groundplane just some foam and put i on a arm. My alt-hold needs some tweaking. But seeing as little calibration effort I put in to it and the results I am getting are astonishing. Mind that with AQ I don;t get those nasty wobbels while descending. And i believe after i have done the calibration steps as supposed it willl be a better system on all accounts. Unfortunately my YS-X6 is still being repaired as soon I get it back I will do comparisson. But for now autoqaud gets a big thumbs up.
rwijnhov is online now Find More Posts by rwijnhov
Old Aug 07, 2012, 10:20 AM
3D Crazy
Putrajaya, Malaysia
Joined May 2010
781 Posts
subscribed...........
Meez is offline Find More Posts by Meez
Old Aug 07, 2012, 11:31 AM
OS Sponsor
Germany, NRW, Dusseldorf
Joined Jun 2010
5,193 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rwijnhov View Post
But for now autoqaud gets a big thumbs up.
Thx for your thumbs up!
Now that the flight vids and user experiences are drippling in we - the AQ Team - feel confident we put all our efforts on the right horse. Well, in fact we knew before but confirmations from the beta testers is what we were looking for.

No wobbels on fast descends was what me amazed first, too.
You can let it fall like a stone with very little throttle and it doesn't shake a bit.
Don't try this with one of those so called "plug&fly" FCs.
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 07, 2012, 02:36 PM
Latvia
Joined Oct 2006
312 Posts
Kinderkram, since you were also with ARDUCOPER project from its beginning, can you estimate when the AUTOQUAD code will be out of beta and mature (like multiwii). (or it will be like Arducopter - 2 years of alpha, beta, reliese, again beta, then buy new hardware ...).
Guntars is offline Find More Posts by Guntars
Old Aug 07, 2012, 05:09 PM
OS Sponsor
Germany, NRW, Dusseldorf
Joined Jun 2010
5,193 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guntars View Post
Kinderkram, since you were also with ARDUCOPER project from its beginning, can you estimate when the AUTOQUAD code will be out of beta and mature (like multiwii). (or it will be like Arducopter - 2 years of alpha, beta, reliese, again beta, then buy new hardware ...).
Nah ... if there was the slightest indication the AQ6 will go down the same road as the AC I'd quit immediately.
Ok, I learned a lot about multirotors and community projects but never got such stable machine like the AQ6 right from the start.

v6.1 was already better than anything else I had flown and if v6.5 wasn't pretty mature we wouldn't have started the beta run.

We call it beta because some features are still in development - the base is already there and it's rock solid. The AC dev. was just the opposite: stuffed with features from the start without having a stable base.
That's why we founded the ArduPirates those days: we focussed on stability and then added features step-by-step - not the other way round...
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 07, 2012, 06:02 PM
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Apr 2012
752 Posts
For those of us using standard PWM output RC, do you think that this ppm converter would work with AQ6? https://store.diydrones.com/product_p/br-ppme.htm

Has anyone successfully used the PPM codebase with the AQ6?
jcmonty is offline Find More Posts by jcmonty
Old Aug 07, 2012, 06:38 PM
Live for speed
USA, CT, Bethany
Joined Mar 2004
1,368 Posts
No experience with that converter but I just maidened today with a PPM setup, with Lyakugh's mods to the published r18 PPM code and some adjustments.
GoFaster is offline Find More Posts by GoFaster
Old Aug 07, 2012, 07:10 PM
Joined Feb 2012
778 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcmonty View Post
For those of us using standard PWM output RC, do you think that this ppm converter would work with AQ6? https://store.diydrones.com/product_p/br-ppme.htm

Has anyone successfully used the PPM codebase with the AQ6?
Im also curious to see if this will work.
epyonxero is offline Find More Posts by epyonxero
Old Aug 08, 2012, 01:16 AM
Vulcan skyhook multirotor
South Africa, GP, Pretoria
Joined Feb 2011
665 Posts
I am almost on the buy button for the ys x6 then i saw this board looks very promising.
See it only support sbus and satalite rx does that mean i cant use my aurora 9 radio with this board?

Will this board also suport fix wing planes
Andre6553 is offline Find More Posts by Andre6553
Old Aug 08, 2012, 03:56 AM
Nederland, NH, Amsterdam
Joined Jul 2010
992 Posts
Walk around

Time to go outside

AQ6 walk around (0 min 37 sec)

//Frank
Frank.T is offline Find More Posts by Frank.T