HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 04, 2012, 05:28 AM
Proud member of LISF and ESL
LI, New York, USA
Joined Mar 2003
24,240 Posts
Time to join.

I am a thermal pilot first, then a sloper.

The key seems to be this new composite construction. I don't need to know materials, I care about the results.

A foam core with a skin.. There are lots of thermal ships like this. Very common on DLGs too. They are usually rigid and don't take crashes well due to rigid nature.

So is your skin rigid? Or will it be floppy and flexy like EPP with a tape skin? . How do you achieve crash damage resistance and a rigid structure?

What will it withstand and how do I fix it when I do break it?

2.4 meter and 1.4 kg? What is the wing area? Wing loading in oz/sq ft? I want it to be under 10. And under 9 is better.. How do I ballast?

What is the climb rate with your motor? Any "step-up" thermal e-glider I consider must hit a minimum of 200 meters in 25 seconds or I would need to rip out the motor to make it ALES ready.. Is motor just to save it when the lift dies?

3 channel? Which 3 channels? To me, 3 channel is rudder/elevator/throttle.. Yours sounds like a/e/t. Not interested.. Means ship is built for speed and aerobatics, not thermal soaring.

Must have glide path control. Full span ailerons I can run as flapperons, flaps or spoiler. Must have one of these to have my interest.

So, what is this thing? Looks pretty but I still don't know what it is for. Looks like a foamy slope glider.. Considering servos, motor and ESC, figure $250 to $350 range.
aeajr is online now Find More Posts by aeajr
Last edited by aeajr; Oct 04, 2012 at 05:42 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 04, 2012, 09:45 AM
Canada
Joined Jul 2009
6,290 Posts
Rudder and elevator only will be like a Radian. It's going to need dyhedral or polyhedral wings to bank or it'll turn like a runaway bus. This plane doesn't look like it's got much dyhedral at all, so no thanks if all it's got is R & E. Aileron and elevator would be OK as you can "bank and yank". Lots of planes like that out there and they work great. Rudder would be a bonus.
When's this and the jet going to be ready for market?
xviper is online now Find More Posts by xviper
Old Oct 07, 2012, 05:15 PM
Joined Jun 2012
132 Posts
Raining for a week (so the forecast says)

I see many questions about set up. I will try to answer as many in one post, I will try to get the foil details to post.

For now though it is a 4 channel

1. Rudder
2. Elevator
3. Ailerons
4. Power

With the right set up on your TX you can use flaperons (spelling sorry), this will act as flaps.

in regards to wing loading?? I can post the measurements and someone on this forum can work that out? Who can do that here??

Cheers
G.
Ridgehogs is offline Find More Posts by Ridgehogs
Old Oct 07, 2012, 07:32 PM
Brian, Southern Oregon
United States, OR, Jacksonville
Joined Mar 2001
81 Posts
It is interesting.
DocMac is offline Find More Posts by DocMac
Last edited by DocMac; Oct 07, 2012 at 07:42 PM.
Old Oct 07, 2012, 08:51 PM
Earthbound Skyhound
United States, NC, Richlands
Joined Jun 2011
4,898 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridgehogs View Post
in regards to wing loading?? I can post the measurements and someone on this forum can work that out? Who can do that here??

Cheers
G.
You're designing planes & you can't figure wing loading?
Interesting indeed.
StarHopper44 is offline Find More Posts by StarHopper44
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 07, 2012, 09:13 PM
Joined Jun 2012
132 Posts
More so just to open this forum up to conversation and interaction. I am all for consumer input and knowledge, rather than just posting...

Makes this project more "interesting"

Cheers
G.
Old Oct 07, 2012, 09:59 PM
Earthbound Skyhound
Joined Jun 2011
4,898 Posts
Not knowing the material, the powerplant, loadout, NOTHING other than several vagueries about the construction, & considering the variety of models......wouldn't you surmise that calculating the AUW - which some might see as a critical part of the wingloading formula - would be somewhat of a chore for those of us 'in the dark'?

Conversationally, I mean.
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 08, 2012, 04:36 AM
Proud member of LISF and ESL
LI, New York, USA
Joined Mar 2003
24,240 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarHopper44 View Post
Not knowing the material, the powerplant, loadout, NOTHING other than several vagueries about the construction, & considering the variety of models......wouldn't you surmise that calculating the AUW - which some might see as a critical part of the wingloading formula - would be somewhat of a chore for those of us 'in the dark'?

Conversationally, I mean.
I begin to doubt there really is a plane in development. This is just talk.
aeajr is online now Find More Posts by aeajr
Old Oct 08, 2012, 02:25 PM
Joined Jun 2012
132 Posts
Thanks pilots, it is all about communication, yes slowly but surely we are making steps closer to production. All good things take time.

We are at Prototype and market research stage, so a while away. I have already made plenty and handed them out to test, have had feedback and now am posting on this forum for discussion what experienced pilots round the world expect - so thank you.

I wish I could speed the process up, but it does take time if you want to get it right. This process won't suit everyone, and we can't make a ship which ticks all the boxes for every pilot, but we can attempt to make the best product we can for people to enjoy.

This is a part time project we are bringing to market, so raising the right amount of capital is crucial. We want to do it once, do it right.

Thanks again for all your posts! Keep them coming
Old Oct 18, 2012, 05:31 PM
Ask me about VTPR
America
Joined Aug 2002
2,223 Posts
Quote:
Hi Pilots!Gordon here from Ridgehogs VERY long story short, we wanted to make a shock resistant Sailplane which is designed for slope soaring, can catch thermals easy, can perform well, is suited for the beginner and advanced pilot - oh and is indestructible!! - too much to ask? Well we have got most of it so far, even the shock resistance. It is a mid range glider size wise 2.4 meter wing span and is designed to pretty much put the fun into flying! So easy to fly you actually feel like an experienced pilot.
Gordon,
I and a few others around the world fly what is called VTPR Aerobatics. Are you familiar? If not here are my websites that explain the style and the many videos and custom model builds for the style. The reason they are custom designed and built is because there are no real outlets or for that matter any really good 2.5m size VTPR models on the market. One usually has to scratch build them from older established designs such as the Sonic, Excalibur or Limande, all originated out of French garages.

http://vtpraerobatics.blogspot.com
http://www.oldschoolmxresto.com/VTPR.html

Your design here is intriguing to me as I am now looking into doing 'E' VTPR aerobatics at the park. This will be another growth step experiment in VTPR (not to be confused with 3D) that we are looking into. The durability you share is a real plus for us as we often touch or slam into the ground (not on purpose, its part of the dangerous VTPR nature). The big question for me at the moment is to find an electric plane of 2.5m size thats lightweight, durable, has a great roll rate and can fly well inverted the same as upright. And be able to fly low to the ground aerobatic maneuvers with confidence, and precision if called upon. That is as far as a pilot has the skills to do so.

I would like to know the design specs if your willing to share. Dont worry, I am a designer myself and understand proprietary issues you may be concerend about. I will not release them. You can send offline if you wish at nas50th@yahoo.com .

My final thought is to try your plane on the slope in VTPR mode and see just what it will or wont do with slope lift present. Such things as hovering snap rolls, inverted landings, tip and tail drags, low rolls, knife edges etc. Then onto a local park with no lift and see if we can find the throttle 'sweet spot' where the motor is sufficient to help the model carry through with minimal throttle input.

Thanks, Eric

PS: This video is representative of what Freestyle VTPR Aerobatics is all about. A 2.5m model performing in like manner in proper conditions would be a fabulous feat and a giant growth step forward!

Drawings in the sand (2 min 57 sec)
oldscooler is offline Find More Posts by oldscooler
Last edited by oldscooler; Oct 18, 2012 at 05:39 PM.
Old Oct 23, 2012, 02:06 AM
-----
Ireland, County Kerry, Kerry
Joined Dec 2005
6,920 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by aeajr View Post
Means ship is built for speed and aerobatics, not thermal soaring.
From what I've read, that's spot on. I believe this is not intended to be a thermal glider, but a slope plane with a power system to get you out of trouble.

Chris
Woodstock 1 is offline Find More Posts by Woodstock 1
Old Oct 24, 2012, 02:17 AM
Joined Jun 2012
132 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodstock 1 View Post
From what I've read, that's spot on. I believe this is not intended to be a thermal glider, but a slope plane with a power system to get you out of trouble.

Chris
BANG ON!

Weather looks like its finally clearing, I want to get some good video for you..... Stay tuned!
Old Oct 24, 2012, 07:54 AM
Earthbound Skyhound
Joined Jun 2011
4,898 Posts
Quote:
BANG ON!

Weather looks like its finally clearing, I want to get some good video for you..... Stay tuned!
Staying tuned -- looking forward to viewing the "indestructibility" tests.
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 20, 2012, 04:18 AM
Joined Jun 2012
132 Posts
Test Flight

Hi Pilots,

Well after weeks and weeks I have just been able to head out for a flight!!!!!!

Wind was very choppy, but had a good fly anyway. No crashes today sorry, wanted to get a few flights under the belt first

Only using a small digital camera so had to fly close otherwise you can't see it, but you can see when she catches a good updraft she really climbs. Even though this is powered, on this flight I only used power once for a few seconds - had nearly an hour flight. Could have stayed - but needed to upload this for you.

More to come.

I have an investor keen to bring the jets to market (the other planes I am producing), I would like to see the TR035 on the shelves first - but it takes you guys to convince the purse holders

Maybe a Facebook page just on this? Ha - need to show interest, so thanks everyone for following/supporting.

Here is the movie:
Ridgehogs slope soaring electric glider TR035 (2 min 25 sec)
Old Nov 20, 2012, 10:38 AM
Canada
Joined Jul 2009
6,290 Posts
Quote:
I have an investor keen to bring the jets to market (the other planes I am producing), I would like to see the TR035 on the shelves first - but it takes you guys to convince the purse holders
I'm unclear as to what this means. Are you saying you are no longer going to sell these directly to us and we will have to convince a hobby shop to carry them? Since I discovered this thread and the other one dealing with the jet, I have purchased 2 sailplanes and converted a 40 year old one to power. I would have bought this sailplane from the inventor (you) in a heart beat had it been available before I added 3 sailplanes to my collection and 2 new jets as well.
However, now that you are selling the jet through a "middleman" and possibly the sailplane as well, the final price will play heavily in the purchasing decision. Having one middleman (or more) always adds to the final cost. Interest in the plane is one thing. Interest in buying one is something entirely different.
xviper is online now Find More Posts by xviper