HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 03, 2012, 04:09 PM
Joined Jul 2009
561 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridgehogs View Post
BANG ON!

The word "foam" is a killer in this market, this will my challenge! To convince a saturated marketplace of foam flyers that this product is way better - and yet to convince glass pilots they can step into using this, not "step down" - if that makes sense

I love all types of aircraft - Glass, Carbon, Foam - they all have their advantages. I simply love to fly and watch whatever it is sail across the horizon - sooo cool.

If you check out my other posts, I am making an EDF jet as well using this same idea - but this is a test using this for an EDF.

With this, don't think foam - delete that word, think Carbon Hybrid.
Depending on the character of the skin, you could call the plane a composite aircraft. Most people would assume that means fiber and resin of some kind but a unique skin that provides a structural component sandwiched over foam sounds like a composite to me. I'd expect to pay $350 just from what I've seen. Add a Fox scale fuse to that wing and you could attract quite a bit of attention form the scale crowd.
edfmaniac is offline Find More Posts by edfmaniac
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 03, 2012, 05:03 PM
United States, TX, Frisco
Joined Jun 2012
19 Posts
You need to brainstorm and come up with a term for this new material and get it copyrighted. Similar to the "Bind n' Fly" term. We all know bind n fly is really just a simple operation but it attracts new customers and sells planes. And keep the word foam out of it or you'll be compared to every other foamie out there. Doing this will set you apart from the crowd. If this thing is as durable and flys as well as you say then I'd definitely be interested. I'll be keeping an eye on you.

Looks great. Good luck!

BTW you guys sure do have some beautiful areas to fly in!
gmtx77 is offline Find More Posts by gmtx77
Old Jul 03, 2012, 05:11 PM
United States, TX, San Antonio
Joined Sep 2008
167 Posts
I would be interrested in an electric version
Kenbogunz is online now Find More Posts by Kenbogunz
Old Jul 03, 2012, 06:24 PM
LSF303 / AMA Life Member
USA, IL, Wheeling
Joined Jan 2003
3,093 Posts
HTSRBC - High Tensile Strength Reconstituted Beer Coolers
tkallev is online now Find More Posts by tkallev
Old Jul 03, 2012, 08:24 PM
Joined Jun 2012
132 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tkallev View Post
HTSRBC - High Tensile Strength Reconstituted Beer Coolers
Ha - Cool!

Or call it supercallafragalistic........ oh, I can't even spell that one!
Ridgehogs is offline Find More Posts by Ridgehogs
Old Jul 03, 2012, 08:33 PM
Joined Jun 2012
132 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmtx77 View Post
You need to brainstorm and come up with a term for this new material and get it copyrighted. Similar to the "Bind n' Fly" term. We all know bind n fly is really just a simple operation but it attracts new customers and sells planes. And keep the word foam out of it or you'll be compared to every other foamie out there. Doing this will set you apart from the crowd. If this thing is as durable and flys as well as you say then I'd definitely be interested. I'll be keeping an eye on you.

Looks great. Good luck!

BTW you guys sure do have some beautiful areas to fly in!
GREAT advice - thank you so much fellow pilots! This does mean a great deal, all comments are take note of...

We are looking at creating the aircraft fabrication/IP as a brand name "Ridgehogs" as we have WII Aircraft also (will post this later), just doing a search for a P51 results in 1000's of products. So make it a "Ridgehogs" Glider or a Ridgehogs P51 customers will know the quality and strength.

Re questions about thermal capabilities the annual Manilla Slopefest the TR035 (that is the name of this electric glider) hung on thermals real well, even landing the thing here in New Zealand on a field on a summers day is interesting as it just keeps on going!

As with all flights, location is the real issue - the better the location for the type of flying intended, the better the result.
Old Jul 04, 2012, 04:05 AM
Launch high. Fly low.
United States, CA, Lake Elsinore
Joined Aug 2003
4,112 Posts
Love the yellow and red scheme!
Since you're using "thermal" in the TR035 name, have they been flown for flat land thermalling"? Not sure how they're assembled or constructed but having the ability to change the dihedral would be cool. It would provide more stability when actually 'thermalling'.

Soar!
Jun C
jcats is online now Find More Posts by jcats
Old Jul 04, 2012, 05:34 AM
Joined Jun 2012
132 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcats View Post
Love the yellow and red scheme!
Since you're using "thermal" in the TR035 name, have they been flown for flat land thermalling"? Not sure how they're assembled or constructed but having the ability to change the dihedral would be cool. It would provide more stability when actually 'thermalling'.

Soar!
Jun C
I will post a scratch build of another prototype after a vote.......

You guys can choose a wing color scheme... take a look at the next post!
Old Jul 04, 2012, 05:41 AM
Joined Jun 2012
132 Posts
Ridgehogs TR035 Wing Design

Hi Pilots,

Well I will do a post on the next TR035 Build, but first (and again) I need your help

As part of my "day job" I am a designer and I mainly build aircraft looking cool first before I test them. Most of my aircraft fail due to this

With this one it was build as an all round electric glider, tested first, now I can make it look like the coolest on the market

Part of this new process allows me to get the most detail yet in coloring the aircraft, so grab a coffee, yet your friends together and vote on the wing design (color scheme) you like best.

The chosen one will then get laid out to show what it will look like, then I will make one, film it in detail and test fly it.

So you choose -
Last edited by Ridgehogs; Jul 04, 2012 at 05:46 AM.
Old Jul 04, 2012, 05:42 AM
Joined Jun 2012
132 Posts
Ridgehogs TR035 Wing Design - Cont

Here are more designs, I could go on, but this should be enough
Old Jul 04, 2012, 06:45 AM
f5b-uk
United Kingdom, Dorset
Joined May 2002
3,063 Posts
They are all nice designs. From the first set I'd go for the purple one first then the blue. From the second set is my thrid place choice of green. Some of the darker schemes look good but would blur to nothing at height IMHO.

Mike
Mike Seale is online now Find More Posts by Mike Seale
Old Jul 04, 2012, 10:10 AM
The Lone Blue Plaid Flyer
Seattle
Joined Jan 2003
7,585 Posts
I like the overall shape of the wing, and the fin. I vote for the blue and then the purple. I would like an electric one. I'm a R/E poly flier. Flat wing and ailerons are a bit scarry. We don't have any slopes in Seattle that I know of, suitable for flying. I could always re-work the wing into a poly. Life goes on.

Bob in Seattle
Bob Cook is offline Find More Posts by Bob Cook
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 04, 2012, 01:26 PM
Launch high. Fly low.
United States, CA, Lake Elsinore
Joined Aug 2003
4,112 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridgehogs View Post
Here are more designs, I could go on, but this should be enough
Wings 10 and 11 got a unanimous vote from my family.
Black bottom. Wider stripes for wing11 would be better for contrast.
They all liked the original design, too.

Contrast is very important, especially for sailplanes, since we fly them to visual limits at times. One of the most striking contrast I've ever seen is from a prototype 3.8M glider, the Xplorer 2. All carbon and the top of the wing had 2 neon green stripes with white borders... The wings were easily still very visible from 1500+ feet away.

How about flaps and rudder?

Soar!
Jun C.
jcats is online now Find More Posts by jcats
Old Jul 05, 2012, 03:49 PM
Minneapolis,MN.
Joined Mar 2006
1,067 Posts
I like the first two in blue and purple.I would like to see either of those two in red or orange.I really like the lines of this sailplane.I would like to see a rudder though.Mainly for more precise aerobatics.I love to perform graceful sailplane precision acro.
bouncebk2003 is offline Find More Posts by bouncebk2003
Old Jul 05, 2012, 07:58 PM
United States, FL, Indialantic
Joined Mar 2012
173 Posts
Subscribed! I want one bad!
Calla969 is offline Find More Posts by Calla969