HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 02, 2012, 04:26 PM
Joined Jun 2012
132 Posts
New Product
NEW Electric Glider - Orders Wanted

Hi Pilots!

Gordon here from Ridgehogs VERY long story short, we wanted to make a shock resistant Sailplane which is designed for slope soaring, can catch thermals easy, can perform well, is suited for the beginner and advanced pilot - oh and is indestructible!! - too much to ask?

Well we have got most of it so far, even the shock resistance

Problem is I need your help! On this post I will show what we have done to build this bad boy. We have made many prototypes and have tested this one in countries which hold Slope Soaring comps, it has had good reviews, it has also been tested doing the popular DS events - not suited, but it still did its job.

It is a mid range glider size wise 2.4 meter wing span and is designed to pretty much put the fun into flying! So easy to fly you actually feel like an experienced pilot (well I do), but that is not the issue...........

We are looking at manufacturing these, but we need to set up the manufacturing plant, the process takes time and some big nads to take on China All we want is to offer an enjoyable product to you guys!

We are a very small company but feel we have a cool product, but before we can start and I mortgage my life away - I need to see if pilots are interested in a new Electric Sailplane which is almost crash proof!

We have formulated a new foam which is better than EPP, the aircraft has a special "skin" which is stronger than any glass sailplane and is similar to carbon fiber - not yet used in the industry, that is why I need to see who could be interested

I could go on, but first things first - who is interested????

Take a look at some of the videos we have of it
Ridgehogs is offline Find More Posts by Ridgehogs
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 02, 2012, 04:33 PM
Joined Jun 2012
132 Posts
Videos of the Ridgehogs Electric Glider TR035

Slope Soaring Ridgehogs RC Glider.mov (3 min 41 sec)

Ridgehogs TR035 RC Sailplane.mov (8 min 28 sec)
Old Jul 02, 2012, 04:39 PM
United States, MI, Vassar
Joined Jan 2006
584 Posts
I am, only electric capabilities.
Pm with price and info details. Mark

Got a website
Beardiedrg is online now Find More Posts by Beardiedrg
Last edited by Beardiedrg; Jul 02, 2012 at 04:44 PM.
Old Jul 02, 2012, 05:06 PM
Joined Jun 2012
132 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beardiedrg View Post
I am, only electric capabilities.
Pm with price and info details. Mark

Got a website
Yip..... www.ridgehogs.com

Price is a hard one as we need numbers to get the unit price down, it will cost over 40k to set up, if we had an order for four they would be 10k each

We are looking at ATF so all you will need is a Lipo, RX and TX.... That could be classes as RTF? They are 3 Channel, but even only 3 Channel you can see they can do all the things which they need to.

What currency are you USD?
Old Jul 02, 2012, 06:11 PM
Canada, ON, Brampton
Joined Mar 2011
108 Posts
Very impressive designs, I would interested in ARF depending on your price point.
I do not have access to ridges but I assume from video it would thermal well.
Thanks
KF
RV4flyr is offline Find More Posts by RV4flyr
Old Jul 02, 2012, 06:29 PM
Joined Jan 2006
584 Posts
so instead of outsourcing get some into the field to other flyers, word of mouth is the best way to see if it can go. Sell some to members interested. Get some made up to ship, put some good prices on them and see how it goes, I would take a glider depending on cost of course.
Old Jul 02, 2012, 06:51 PM
Joined Jun 2012
132 Posts
Thanks guys,

Yes we have shipped them round the globe to events, pilots, clubs, etc.

These are only prototypes and are not as sharp (finish wise) as the manufactured versions would be, but we need to start somewhere I suppose.

On this forum - and yes it is like asking how long is a piece of string and if were me - I always look for a sweet deal, so in saying that....

How much would you expect to pay for something like this ATF/RTF which is almost like a carbon/glass equivalent?

$150 USD?

$250 USD?

$350 USD?

$450 USD?

Again all you will need is RX, TX and a Lipo. They all have metal gear high performance servos.

Just your gut feeling on what you think it would be worth to you
Old Jul 02, 2012, 07:29 PM
Joined Apr 2009
34 Posts
Add me to the list also...!! I am interested for a rigid slope glider..!!
Ghost_ is offline Find More Posts by Ghost_
Old Jul 02, 2012, 10:18 PM
Joined Jan 2006
584 Posts
I prefer my own servos and gear. What are you recommending for motor, servos, battery sizes. Are these painted or just foam Color. I think some more in depth photos of the plane and gear would help. You guys set the price. Does the glider thermal and will it slow down to behave one that does.
Old Jul 03, 2012, 07:18 AM
RIP Ric
Marietta, GA
Joined Jun 1999
43,312 Posts
It would need to be cheap enough to compete with the Radian & EasyGlider, particularly considering there are many copies of those models available already. It would also need to differentiate itself in some significant way (the EasyGlider is quite robust already, but is heavier as a result - not so good for a thermal sailplane)..
..a
Andy W is offline Find More Posts by Andy W
Old Jul 03, 2012, 07:54 AM
Canada, ON, Brampton
Joined Mar 2011
108 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridgehogs View Post
Thanks guys,

Yes we have shipped them round the globe to events, pilots, clubs, etc.

These are only prototypes and are not as sharp (finish wise) as the manufactured versions would be, but we need to start somewhere I suppose.

On this forum - and yes it is like asking how long is a piece of string and if were me - I always look for a sweet deal, so in saying that....

How much would you expect to pay for something like this ATF/RTF which is almost like a carbon/glass equivalent?

$150 USD?

$250 USD?

$350 USD?

$450 USD?

Again all you will need is RX, TX and a Lipo. They all have metal gear high performance servos.

Just your gut feeling on what you think it would be worth to you
Assuming it is superior to the typical foamies commercially available, (you should try & show how your covering is advanced vs. straight foam), you could ask in the $200 to 250 category. Ideally if you want to sell many of them you should also show the superior performance I.e. thermally qualities and be below the avail. $200 price range e-gliders, your overhead vs. some big outfits may allow you to do this
KF
RV4flyr is offline Find More Posts by RV4flyr
Old Jul 03, 2012, 08:06 AM
Don't ask me anything...
Ireland, County Kerry, Kerry
Joined Dec 2005
6,840 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy W View Post
It would need to be cheap enough to compete with the Radian & EasyGlider, particularly considering there are many copies of those models available already. It would also need to differentiate itself in some significant way (the EasyGlider is quite robust already, but is heavier as a result - not so good for a thermal sailplane)..
..a
I get the impression that this is something totally different to the normal foamies currently on the market?
Woodstock 1 is offline Find More Posts by Woodstock 1
Old Jul 03, 2012, 03:18 PM
f5b-uk
United Kingdom, Dorset
Joined May 2002
3,053 Posts
Multiplex Cularis RR is a more realisitc model to compare with than the easyglider or radian. These are going for about $300 without motor or speed controller. So although it seems expensive for a "foamy" the $350 price point would seem about right if it is as good as claimed.

The biggest problem you face is going to be convincing us that it's worth it. I know that people would like a model that flies like a cruchy without cruching like one on landing. If a few respected pilots get their hands on one and start waxing lyrical you'll be onto a winner.

Good luck with your venture
Mike
Mike Seale is offline Find More Posts by Mike Seale
Old Jul 03, 2012, 03:39 PM
Joined Jun 2012
132 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodstock 1 View Post
I get the impression that this is something totally different to the normal foamies currently on the market?
BANG ON!

The word "foam" is a killer in this market, this will my challenge! To convince a saturated marketplace of foam flyers that this product is way better - and yet to convince glass pilots they can step into using this, not "step down" - if that makes sense

I love all types of aircraft - Glass, Carbon, Foam - they all have their advantages. I simply love to fly and watch whatever it is sail across the horizon - sooo cool.

If you check out my other posts, I am making an EDF jet as well using this same idea - but this is a test using this for an EDF.

With this, don't think foam - delete that word, think Carbon Hybrid.
Old Jul 03, 2012, 03:48 PM
nph
United States, TX, Plano
Joined Oct 2010
181 Posts
Would be interested in the electric version for thermal purposes. Especially like the crash resistance part...
nph is offline Find More Posts by nph