HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by veritus, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Jul 02, 2012, 02:23 PM
JP
Tennessee
Joined Oct 2003
466 Posts
Discussion
New Battery for Nimbus 4DM

Well, with our extreme heat here in the midsouth and my extensive travel schedule, I have not been able to fly a thing except on the Real Flight sim. As a result, I am using this time to do further refinements on the Nimbus, so when it is ready to go, there should not be any delays or surprises; OK, surprises are just that, surprises..can't plan for those. By the way, one such surprise came when I went to get my SLS battery checked at the local Hobby Shop, only to find out that a couple cells had puffed rendering it useless. I talked to Etienne Dorig at Icare Sailplanes, where I got this plane originally, and he agreed that the Turnigy nano-tech 4400mah 5S 65~130C Lipo Pack, would be a good replacement. I purchased one from Hobby King for $78.00, and Etienne informed me that it would meet or exceed the original Battery. It is amazing to me, and I show my ignorance here, how far batteries have come! This battery is about 2/3rds the size of the original, weighs less, and is probably an overall better battery! I have included some pics. As you can see, I just need to change the connectors and then the battery will be charged and balanced and ready to go! My next refinement will be to the axle of the main gear, it is slightly bent, so I will either straighten it or get a heftyer axle. I'll figure it out.
veritus is offline Find More Posts by veritus
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 09, 2012, 04:09 PM
Expo/DualRates = Lack of Skill
San Diego, CA
Joined Mar 2009
789 Posts
Leaving a lithium-polymer battery fully charged is likely to cause puffing and premature wear.
typeRA is offline Find More Posts by typeRA
Old Jul 09, 2012, 04:41 PM
JP
Tennessee
Joined Oct 2003
466 Posts
Thanks for the imfo., is there a time limit for leaving it fully charged?? Don't want to ruin the new one!
veritus is offline Find More Posts by veritus
Last edited by veritus; Jul 09, 2012 at 04:42 PM. Reason: new
Old Jul 09, 2012, 04:58 PM
Expo/DualRates = Lack of Skill
San Diego, CA
Joined Mar 2009
789 Posts
It's accumulative, so it's bad any amount of time; the longer it stays charged, the worse it gets.

Newer batteries seem to be more susceptible to damage.

I usually just leave my batteries discharged (if above 3.70V per cell) until the next day I fly.
typeRA is offline Find More Posts by typeRA