HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 20, 2013, 01:29 PM
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Aug 2009
11,520 Posts
I took Mollie-VTOL to the local park for a test, Talk about a NERVOUS WREAK? Wow, felt worse than the very first time with the tricopter. Fingers were twitching and I was breathing badly during the entire flight. I ended up crashing her but she is repairable and will fly again with some modifications. Her forward flight is not as good as I had hoped and pitching is a little unstable. Video to follow.
rimshotcopter is offline Find More Posts by rimshotcopter
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 20, 2013, 03:57 PM
Joined Aug 2009
11,520 Posts
Mollie VTOL-Park Test01 (2 min 51 sec)

Living up to my previous standards of sharing regardless of the outcome of the test. Here is the latest Park test video. In retrospect, maybe I should have postponed testing because the winds were about 7-10mph but it was warm and beautiful. From this round of testing, Mollie-VTOL will need a few modifications to enhance its forward flight abilities, nothing major, just increase the servo travel and maybe a mechanism to shift the battery weight a few centimeter forward or aft during flight to help offset high pitching. Otherwise, I believe she is progressing well.
Old Jan 20, 2013, 05:45 PM
Powell TN
Joined Jan 2008
735 Posts
Hey Rev. , it looks good , but .... I'm thinkin' that some alternate (horizontal) pitch , control might be needed to gain forward speed (flying speed) like ...? your rear variable pitch that was on your mm ver. 2 ..? just my Opinion ? that way it will be similar to the doak - vz....?

Terry
KAMAX-T is offline Find More Posts by KAMAX-T
Old Jan 20, 2013, 06:02 PM
Joined Aug 2009
11,520 Posts
I am in the process of trying to find a light weight linear slider that I can mount the battery one now. Most likely, I will have to go walking through Home Depot until I find it but when I locate it, what will happen is this. When the Motors start transitioning for horizontal flight, the battery will move a few centimeters. Not sure if you are able to see it in the video but she started out tail heavy. The second part of the video, I moved the battery forward a few centmeter.

FYI: In this test, there was no intent to gain enough speed to transition, I just wanted to make sure she flew like the other bicopters however, because of the surface area of the wings, when the wind blew (as mildly as it was), it will pitch badly.

Thank you Terry.
Old Jan 20, 2013, 06:06 PM
Joined Aug 2009
11,520 Posts
Oh and I will have to modify the MWC Bicopter mixing just a little to remove the angular tilt from the airframe.
Last edited by rimshotcopter; Jan 20, 2013 at 06:22 PM.
Old Jan 20, 2013, 06:19 PM
Powell TN
Joined Jan 2008
735 Posts
Ahh , I gotcha .. That will probably work ! never thought about weight trasnfer .... Keep on Rev. , don't mind me ....

Terry
Old Jan 20, 2013, 06:26 PM
Joined Aug 2009
11,520 Posts
Thank you again Terry, Weight Transfer is the correct terminology. Being by myself most of the time and self taught, I never learned these terms and it makes sharing online much harder.

Appreciate you taking the time to share these things with me.
Old Jan 20, 2013, 06:30 PM
Powell TN
Joined Jan 2008
735 Posts
Not a problem , thankyou !!
Old Jan 20, 2013, 08:38 PM
Joined Aug 2009
11,520 Posts
Changer number 1,002 LOL

Going to can the steering servo and add some caster to the front landing gear. Then use that servo to actuate the Weight Shifting battery slide. Stay tune.
Old Jan 21, 2013, 05:59 PM
Joined Aug 2009
11,520 Posts
I do not believe the full travel distant shown in the two pictures will be required however it is good to know it is there. I made this slider from a 12" Drawer rail cut down to 7". I need to order a servo saver preferred a clutch type, install a servo horn on the slider and then we can resume testing.
Old Jan 21, 2013, 06:15 PM
Lets make it remote control!!!
USA, FL, St Augustine
Joined Jun 2009
998 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rimshotcopter View Post
http://youtu.be/lut7z9BWjxo

Living up to my previous standards of sharing regardless of the outcome of the test. Here is the latest Park test video. In retrospect, maybe I should have postponed testing because the winds were about 7-10mph but it was warm and beautiful. From this round of testing, Mollie-VTOL will need a few modifications to enhance its forward flight abilities, nothing major, just increase the servo travel and maybe a mechanism to shift the battery weight a few centimeter forward or aft during flight to help offset high pitching. Otherwise, I believe she is progressing well.
well it has progressed well i believe youll have it nailed down very soon.will be a gorgeous thing to watch the transition
abletowinginc is offline Find More Posts by abletowinginc
Old Jan 21, 2013, 07:21 PM
Joined Aug 2009
11,520 Posts
Thank you Able,

Some may question why? If it was about just flying, I would build a paper airplane and be done with it. I love building and seeing this puppy take to the air regardless of how well, is just a thrill and a joy.

Thanks again for your comments and support.
Old Jan 21, 2013, 08:48 PM
Will fly for food
United States, CA, Carlsbad
Joined May 2011
532 Posts
Quote:
I do not believe the full travel distant shown in the two pictures will be required however it is good to know it is there. I made this slider from a 12" Drawer rail cut down to 7". I need to order a servo saver preferred a clutch type, install a servo horn on the slider and then we can resume testing.
I never thought of using a drawer rail. Ingenious. I wonder what else you can do with one.
ilektron is offline Find More Posts by ilektron
Old Jan 21, 2013, 09:01 PM
Joined Aug 2009
11,520 Posts
I once had many coming from an IT background but I caned them cleaning out my garage.
Old Jan 22, 2013, 05:46 AM
Lets make it remote control!!!
USA, FL, St Augustine
Joined Jun 2009
998 Posts
Quote:
brilliant use of household junk.... i made a tri from an old accordian style clothes drier rack i found on roadside. thin stiff wood arms perfect for mounting motors in width yet light.its on my youtube page under torrey schonder
abletowinginc is offline Find More Posts by abletowinginc