HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 02, 2012, 12:50 PM
Joined Jul 2012
68 Posts
Discussion
Warning Rookie (Just purchased my first plane)

Hi all,

I've been around the RC world for a long time (well RC cars anyway) Finally decided to jump into RC flying and give it a try.

My friend let me borrow his Real Flight Simulator and I've been playing around with that for about a month now and have gotten decent at it. Ive been told the simulators are one of the best ways to get started.

So I finally took the leep and purchased my first RC plane today. After much reading and research and the help of my local hobby shop I finally made the decision and purchased the Firebird Stratos. So I'm hoping to send her up for her first flight sometime within the next couple of days.

I look forward to learning and getting advice from you all.

thanks,
Josh
JBFlyer85 is offline Find More Posts by JBFlyer85
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 02, 2012, 01:02 PM
characters welcome!
United States, CA, Bear Valley Springs
Joined Feb 2000
26,291 Posts
Welcome to RCGroups!

Good start all the way around. Keep us informed on your progress!

mw
Mark Wood is offline Find More Posts by Mark Wood
Old Jul 02, 2012, 01:04 PM
"Landing" in a tree somewhere
Rochester, NY
Joined Sep 2009
946 Posts
Welcome, the best advice I can give you is to read the six keys to success for new pilots, it covers the most common mistakes made by beginners. Check out the beginner section in general. Also it's a good idea to read up on lipos since you're going to be using them, this site provides basic info, guidelines and how-to's for general use and charging of lipo batteries.
Rayne is offline Find More Posts by Rayne
Old Jul 02, 2012, 01:42 PM
Joined Jul 2012
68 Posts
Thanks guys. I'm reading over the six keys now. Good stuff to know for sure.

Thanks again,

Josh
Old Jul 02, 2012, 01:48 PM
Joined Nov 2008
464 Posts
From what I've seen, the strato is an excellent plane, fly very smooth and can take more abuse than the famous Champ. good choice.

Edmond
Edmond Y is offline Find More Posts by Edmond Y
Old Jul 02, 2012, 02:35 PM
Bye Bye VP Aug 2010 - Aug 2012
United Kingdom, London
Joined Jan 2005
5,940 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBFlyer85 View Post
Hi all,

I've been around the RC world for a long time (well RC cars anyway) Finally decided to jump into RC flying and give it a try.

My friend let me borrow his Real Flight Simulator and I've been playing around with that for about a month now and have gotten decent at it. Ive been told the simulators are one of the best ways to get started.

So I finally took the leep and purchased my first RC plane today. After much reading and research and the help of my local hobby shop I finally made the decision and purchased the Firebird Stratos. So I'm hoping to send her up for her first flight sometime within the next couple of days.

I look forward to learning and getting advice from you all.

thanks,
Josh
Excellent choice of first plane. I love mine.
Gerry__ is offline Find More Posts by Gerry__
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Foamie Resurrection
Old Jul 02, 2012, 03:26 PM
Joined Jul 2012
68 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerry__ View Post
Excellent choice of first plane. I love mine.
Im glad to hear that. any advice before my first flight? I've been told that this plane is extrememly easy to fly, but when you have never flown except for simulators, I dont know what to expect when people say easy LOL.
Old Jul 02, 2012, 03:33 PM
Bye Bye VP Aug 2010 - Aug 2012
United Kingdom, London
Joined Jan 2005
5,940 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBFlyer85 View Post
Im glad to hear that. any advice before my first flight? I've been told that this plane is extrememly easy to fly, but when you have never flown except for simulators, I dont know what to expect when people say easy LOL.
If you can get someone knowledgeable to help, then that's a massive advantage:

1. Fly in clam conditions.

2. Find a suitable site, with plenty of room and no trees.

3. Plan and go through in you head what you first flight will consist of, i.e take-off, fly right/left hand circuit, land.

4. Keep the plane in front of you at all times.
Gerry__ is offline Find More Posts by Gerry__
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Foamie Resurrection
Old Jul 02, 2012, 03:46 PM
Joined Jul 2012
68 Posts
Thanks for all the great info guys, again, I really appreciate it.

Cant wait to get a chance to try her out. Now that I actually own a plane, I'm kind of nervous even more now. Prob go home and fire up the simulator again LOL

Thanks again,
Josh
Old Jul 02, 2012, 03:46 PM
United States, CA, Oceanside
Joined Apr 2011
4,802 Posts
JB, Gerry is right on. I have the Firebird Stratos and it is a great plane. It is really fun to fly and since yo have sim time, I'm pretty sure you will be successful on your maiden flight. After I got used to my Stratos, I purchased a HZ Champ so I could fly something at the local ball field. I have since gotten a HZ Super Cub and fly that pretty much exclusively now. You won't regret your purchase of the flight sim or the FB Stratos. I also have the RealFlight 6 sim and it has been a great tool in helping me to fly my planes. BTW - I have only been flying a little over 3 months.
chucksolo69 is offline Find More Posts by chucksolo69
Old Jul 02, 2012, 05:24 PM
Balsa Builder. With some foam.
Eastern Norway Scandinavia
Joined Dec 2009
1,091 Posts
It's a good advise to have an experienced friend with you for the first flight. He can help you with the trim and rudders. But if you are alone, small movement with the sticks. and let the plane fly by it self, do not over control. It's a smart first plane.
ArneHu is offline Find More Posts by ArneHu
Old Jul 02, 2012, 11:07 PM
This Calls for a Sexy Party
Minneapolis
Joined Sep 2010
639 Posts
some tips and things that i observed from letting my cousin tried to "fly" my plane.

Do not pull up on your elevator excessively ( remember Throttle control altitude, Elevator control speed )

give SMALL input, if you plane doesn't react then give some more, Jamming the stick will only make it harder to fly. ( if you jam the stick, you will over correct, then you will jam the stick the other way which will result in some more over correcting. )

fly in calm day, if you do fly in windy day, keep the speed up and be careful on the downwind fly, your plane might seem fast flying downwind but in reality your plane might be really close to stalling, so keep your speed up on a windy day.\

if it is your maiden, make your plane a tad nose heavy, do some glide test to see if you need any trim, then a short power glide test to trim it out even more before take it all the way up and do the last trimming. one or two click of up elevator might help if you hand launch.
StewieRC is offline Find More Posts by StewieRC
Old Jul 03, 2012, 12:29 AM
Defender of the park sky
London, ON Canada
Joined Nov 2009
1,123 Posts
Welcome to the hobby, sounds like you are doing everything right. The sim makes all the difference. Just maiden on a day with no wind and it's pretty remarkable how much the same it is as on a sim.
The only difference is shakey hands or butterflies in the stomach with a new model. You can get a spike in adrenalin you just don't get from a sim.
I bet you will do fine, I'm not familiar with your plane but it sounds like a good choice.
Ispintechno is offline Find More Posts by Ispintechno
Old Jul 03, 2012, 08:32 AM
Joined Jul 2012
68 Posts
Thanks again everyone, this place seems filled with experianced pilots. thanks for all the tips and kind words. Hopeing to get her in the air tomorrow sometime.
Old Jul 03, 2012, 11:26 AM
Joined Jan 2012
235 Posts
re: stratos

Great plane to start out with.
I have a flying buddy that i go flying with all the time.I meet him as he was learning how to fly and he flys that plane all the time.He has other planes but seems that he allways goes back to that plane.The plane is a great plane to learn how to fly, so great choice on first plane
When you take off with the plane you will need 100% power and she will fly beautifully.
The only two main things that you should know are
1) The plane cant fly in wind more then 3kph wind.The wind will toss it around
2) Watch the front wheel housing.There is a slight problem with it.If you come down to hard it will damage the front wheel housing.Sorry to say if that happens there is no replacement for the front wheel houseing alone

Dont get me wrong, Im not trying to scare you off the plane.Just letting you know from experence from that plane, but it does fly great and is easy to fly
helifreak1 is offline Find More Posts by helifreak1