HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 02, 2012, 12:34 PM
United States, AZ, Tucson
Joined Mar 2008
2,195 Posts
Discussion
Is Magnetic Declination needed for DJI GPS to use Return To Home Fail Safe feature ?

I set up the fail safe but I never used the RTH feature of the WKM on my F550 or S800 before I sold them.

I just purchased a NAZA/GPS for my new multi and read a few posts about people setting the magnetic declination. When activated, the RTH got the multi to land pretty close to where it took off.
And when having the GPS pointed exactly forward with no deviation it did not come back very close to the starting point when RTH was activated.

Just looking for users experience of this to see if I need to set it or not since there's nothing in the manual about it.

Thanks
jasper7821 is offline Find More Posts by jasper7821
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 02, 2012, 03:56 PM
Joined Dec 2010
80 Posts
You are correct I have read in a couple other threads about people rotating the GPS module to match their declination. I have not tried return to home yet.
Phospherus is offline Find More Posts by Phospherus
Old Jul 27, 2012, 10:43 PM
Joined Jan 2012
56 Posts
Just found this thread. Do you know if turning the GPS will then cause the compass to always be off by how many degrees the arrow now points to? I am seeing some weird things in heading lock mode after turning the GPS and recalibrating. When the arrow was straight ahead, the heading lock mode seemed to be OK.
totality is offline Find More Posts by totality
Old Jul 28, 2012, 12:04 AM
Australia, WA
Joined Jun 2012
180 Posts
I live here:

33 20' 0" S / 115 38' 0" E

I have made no compensation for declination and my F550 on WKM with the V2 compass for us southern types works a treat - it lands within a metre every time!
boranup is offline Find More Posts by boranup
Old Jul 28, 2012, 03:25 AM
Ronnie - Sheffield UK (G0NJD)
Sheffield, S. Yorks, UK
Joined May 2007
385 Posts
don't so too far out, switch off the TX and see if it comes back to the same spot

If it does I don't think you need to do anything, its working perfectly

Mines like boranup, just installed and it works
mallettron is offline Find More Posts by mallettron