HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 23, 2012, 01:02 PM
USA
Joined Apr 2007
2,411 Posts
no matter how you build air frame thing that's got to happen is how fast can air pass thru fan
space 1 is offline Find More Posts by space 1
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 23, 2012, 01:07 PM
St.Catharines, Ontario
Joined Jan 2009
10,377 Posts
look at the DS soaring guys hitting speeds over 500 MPH..................NO POWER!!!!!!!!!!! when I was a kid, I saw a slow poke slimer put a hole right through the roof of a car. probably doing less the 45 MPH when that happened. I agree that it's all relative...............relative to what you are flying and the skill level behind the sticks. take that 30+ foot B-36 for example. it can't be flying more than 45-50 MPH, but if that sucker went in, it would make a huge mess. while I understand what you are saying about speed and being skilled enough to fly that fast, there are many more factors that should be taken into account. generally, jet pilots are in the upper percentage of flying ability anyway, so we see far fewer accidents than you do at the lower levels...............and I'm not being condascending at all by saying that, but you get my point. one of the biggest problems is guys seeing other guys flying these big, fast jets and they gotta have one yesterday, without taking all the necessary steps to get there. Sherlockshah comes to mind immediately..............now he's into turbines and that kinda scares the ^%$# out of me.
LuvEvolution7 is offline Find More Posts by LuvEvolution7
Old Nov 23, 2012, 02:11 PM
My project: FAIREY DELTA 1
Uden Volkel, Netherlands
Joined Dec 2003
4,976 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvEvolution7 View Post
one of the biggest problems is guys seeing other guys flying these big, fast jets and they gotta have one yesterday, without taking all the necessary steps to get there. Sherlockshah comes to mind immediately..............now he's into turbines and that kinda scares the ^%$# out of me.
For this reason I never published the Uriah-BU design because i think it is at is't structural limits at 190mph/550W. Hoeby showed this design was hard to build for average builders. I feel more power would bring this design in flutter regions and general speaking, 550W is not of interest of many builders an disaster is waiting to happen.
A new concept design should cancel out flutter for 1200-1400W I am in for. Not sure what top end speed will be but I recon 220+mph might be realistic.

Sherlock! I salute the one who names a plane to him!
Erik v. Schaik is offline Find More Posts by Erik v. Schaik
Old Nov 23, 2012, 05:21 PM
St.Catharines, Ontario
Joined Jan 2009
10,377 Posts
I'm on it. hahahahahahaha.
Old Nov 23, 2012, 05:25 PM
St.Catharines, Ontario
Joined Jan 2009
10,377 Posts
I got a few ideas kicking around in my head if you wanna go faster Erik. not gonna speak publicly though, because if we give away the secret, everyone will do it. LOL.
Old Nov 23, 2012, 07:40 PM
Lee Liddle
Carrollton, Tx
Joined Dec 2006
8,492 Posts
Here are some pics of my little 35mm edf. I`ve had it up to 89mph on some weak lipos at about 150w. It should do 95 to 100 with better lipos and larger flying patterns to let it get up to speed.

This is an example of dirty air feeding a fan that has plenty of power. No, it`s not the best situation for perfect fan operation, but it`s a real world application that works.
Knife Liddle is online now Find More Posts by Knife Liddle
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 23, 2012, 07:44 PM
Lee Liddle
Carrollton, Tx
Joined Dec 2006
8,492 Posts
Most of you guys have seen this, but here is the video of it on 4s (150w) and almost 600w per lb, since it only weighs about 4oz

20121114 183846 (3 min 16 sec)
Knife Liddle is online now Find More Posts by Knife Liddle
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 23, 2012, 10:37 PM
speedin n da weeds :)
USA, AZ, Glendale
Joined Feb 2008
595 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik v. Schaik View Post
Boy I do hope if I crash my plane it goes down very deep which saves me a trip to the bin
That's funny $h!t :-)
sikky is offline Find More Posts by sikky
Old Nov 24, 2012, 07:23 PM
Canada, ON, Mississauga
Joined Nov 2011
130 Posts
EDF tube on a slim delta may maiden tomorrow , weather permitting . I would like to try Knife's F20 rough cut for next years speed contest in Canada.
Rocketboy1030 is offline Find More Posts by Rocketboy1030
Old Nov 24, 2012, 07:26 PM
St.Catharines, Ontario
Joined Jan 2009
10,377 Posts
hey Rocket. wait till you see what I'm bringing for that speed contest. it'll draw some laughs, I'm sure, till they see how fast she goes. LOL.
Old Nov 25, 2012, 08:08 AM
USA
Joined Apr 2007
2,411 Posts
Rocketboy
thats nice
Old Nov 25, 2012, 08:26 AM
Holland
Joined Apr 2003
145 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvEvolution7 View Post
hey Rocket. wait till you see what I'm bringing for that speed contest. it'll draw some laughs, I'm sure, till they see how fast she goes. LOL.
Do you have a little picture of the plane?
Or do we need to wait?
Hoeby is offline Find More Posts by Hoeby
Old Nov 25, 2012, 03:31 PM
USA
Joined Apr 2007
2,411 Posts
http://aerospaceblog.wordpress.com/2...rsonic-travel/
Old Nov 25, 2012, 07:44 PM
St.Catharines, Ontario
Joined Jan 2009
10,377 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoeby View Post
Do you have a little picture of the plane?
Or do we need to wait?
I don't want to openly share it. not yet anyway. if you want a look, I've got a few preliminary drawings and concepts that I'll show you. it's so simple that it's stupid. and looks even worse, but apparently, it's almost perfect aerodynamics with less than half the drag of ANY current design. I'll PM you in a little while.

Rich
Old Nov 26, 2012, 08:55 AM
Joined Jan 2011
1,062 Posts
Im think of doing something similar to rocketboy. Probably a modified pusher from the rcfoamfighter guys. Then slapping a cylinder on bottom for the fan . This plane . Http://rcfoamfighters.com/Models/Sky...yFighterV2.htm . Will then put a modified phase 3 f16 intake on it, and will put the intake ring on front of the duct. Might fly who knows.
stingeragents is offline Find More Posts by stingeragents
Last edited by stingeragents; Nov 26, 2012 at 09:06 AM.