HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 13, 2012, 11:23 AM
Carbon fiber is our friend
United States, CA, Lodi
Joined Feb 2001
4,218 Posts
You might try wet sanding it. You can finish with 400, clean it with compressed air (to get the crud out of the holes) and spray clear on. It will bring back the fancy carbon look

Glass does sand easier than carbon.

You can make your own hotwire if you're on a budget. I cut a lot of wings with home made bows. The power supply can be many things. I used to use one that was meant for old model trains. I've seen guys cut foam with 6 or 7 cell nimh packs and a big brushed speed controller. Lots of things can work.
Steve C is offline Find More Posts by Steve C
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 14, 2012, 05:59 PM
United States, NJ, Pompton Lakes
Joined Jan 2011
166 Posts
Hope to fly this sinister jet tomorrow.

Even put some CG nubs like the FJ
kingkyle is offline Find More Posts by kingkyle
Old Jul 15, 2012, 05:07 AM
USA
Joined Apr 2007
2,394 Posts
beautiful job but not to knock it I whould mount EDF in necell for better intake&and thrust tube
space 1 is offline Find More Posts by space 1
Old Jul 15, 2012, 10:10 AM
Joined Jan 2011
166 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by space 1 View Post
beautiful job but not to knock it I whould mount EDF in necell for better intake&and thrust tube
Thanks! I would love to run a necell, does anyone make them or do I need to make it?
Old Jul 15, 2012, 11:44 PM
Carbon fiber is our friend
United States, CA, Lodi
Joined Feb 2001
4,218 Posts
Looks pretty good.

You'll probably have to make a nacelle, but I'm sure you can handle it after the carving and sanding you just did. I just made one for a small fan by gluing a 1/64 ply thrust tube on and then wrapping a couple layers of balsa around the whole thing and sanding. It's not very serviceable, but got the job done quickly and flew today mounted on top of a slope glider.
Steve C is offline Find More Posts by Steve C
Old Jul 16, 2012, 05:42 AM
USA
Joined Apr 2007
2,394 Posts
mounted on top of a slope glider. will that work haha. I just wrap with foam glue on top & zip tie
Old Jul 17, 2012, 12:31 AM
United States, WA, Shelton
Joined Feb 2012
678 Posts
I just glued multiple pieces of 1/2 foam together, cut a hole in the middle and made it initially round with hot wire. Then sand, It did not take long. I have pics in my build log. "Vixen XD1" I do not know how to post a link...yet. Your bird looks awesome!
Lt599 is offline Find More Posts by Lt599
Old Aug 01, 2012, 05:46 PM
Joined Jan 2011
166 Posts
OK... speed bird number 2. My carbon funjet clone wanted to fly upside down instead of right side up so that became a lawn dart. Here is my second build. Based on the F16 platform. Totally cut and shaped from pink home depot foam. I"m going to run the same ARC motor in the HET fan on 5s. Trying to decide on wrapping this in carbon or 1oz fiberglass.... hmmmmm
lmao

Rough shape

Smoother

Mockup stage
Last edited by kingkyle; Aug 01, 2012 at 05:57 PM.
Old Aug 02, 2012, 05:56 AM
USA
Joined Apr 2007
2,394 Posts
You could send me that old lawn dart haha
Old Aug 02, 2012, 01:32 PM
Holland
Joined Apr 2003
142 Posts
Whit a year back i copied the design of the uriah.
Only whit mine the wing was higher (not in the middle of the fan).
It has flown, but it cut the wing out. When flying i discoverd that it was not straight, but wrapped. How faster it did fly, how more right control it needed. The fuse is on the wall, but need to make a new wing (hopefully straight this time).

Also a few months back, i was trying to draw something in acad, just for fun.
It was something between an aeronaut blade and schuebeler vector. The first not that cheap because you need 2 setups. The other is not availble anymore.
So take both and what you get, see below in the picture.

I want to make it in 90mm fan size. But as some already wrote, those size planes are not the cheapest. I want to make a plug in 70mm fan size. And use the positive plug to make a fuse of it. Does it fly ok, than i can choose to mold it, or make it to 90mm size and do the same trick.

The plane like in the picture already has some changes. In the picture the bottom of the wing is straight, to top on an angle. In the new design i changed this in straight top wing and angle on the bottom ( hopefully to be more stable in the air). you also can see it misses the rudders, can go everywhere you like, so no problem. Also the outside of the wings are changed. In the drawing there is no straight line in de wing (when looking in the top view). This is not easy to make, but easy to get it not wright. Therefor in the new design the outside wings panels are straight, so i can make it whit a foam cutter

what you guys think, sorry that is not an original design. But taking some other designs together.
Hoeby is offline Find More Posts by Hoeby
Old Aug 02, 2012, 02:07 PM
USA
Joined Apr 2007
2,394 Posts
I think you could extend fuse to end of nacelle then add fin's one on each of nacelle like v tail. or move nacelle forward then fin's one on each side of nacelle
Old Aug 02, 2012, 02:42 PM
Holland
Joined Apr 2003
142 Posts
Extending the fuse to the end of nacelle is not that easy. Therefor the fuse has to redesigned. At this moment the fuse stops there and its open on the back, so cooling air for the batteries can leave the fuse. When extending and keep the shape like it is, the outlet for cooling air will be to small.

Moving nacelle forward is also not possible, i think you will end up whit cg problems, to get it on THE spot it needs.

Like i said before. Placing the fin's is how you like it. It can be on top of the nacelle, or 2 but than legt and right of the nacelle. Or maybe on the wingtips
Old Aug 02, 2012, 02:57 PM
My project: FAIREY DELTA 1
Uden Volkel, Netherlands
Joined Dec 2003
4,976 Posts
Hi Hoeby,
Mixing other designs is what I did with the Uriah-BU as well. Nobody incorperated the good details of several planes in one design. I like your new design but I doubt if the thrust angle is convenient to fly with. You can see my 1st proto (flying wing with fan placed low) was a handfull to launch. Unfortunately, The proto showed flying wings are pretty hard to control in cornering at high speeds (delta mixer needs a lot of elevator throw for reflex as well which reduces speed in corners and losing of considerable height after cornering)
For high speed planes i'd recommend a stab with a considerable distance from the wing like pylon racers/hotliners. you just need stability on the elevator control.
You may consider a V-tail but on my Miniwave I have not the comfort om the elevator as a normal stab config.

it's really nice to see you continues to refine the Uriah-BU concept. I've been struggling to redesign it myself because I have increased my wishlist to make it flutter proof. the current plane is fine tuned at approx 188mph/300kmh now which is pretty close to the 200mph barrier. With some additional re-engeneering of the fan drive system i think I could break this barrier pretty easy now with same power input but it would be nice to increase it to the 900-1100W range instead of the 550W it has now.

good luck and show us your thoughts!
Erik v. Schaik is offline Find More Posts by Erik v. Schaik
Old Aug 02, 2012, 03:03 PM
My project: FAIREY DELTA 1
Uden Volkel, Netherlands
Joined Dec 2003
4,976 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoeby View Post
Extending the fuse to the end of nacelle is not that easy. Therefor the fuse has to redesigned. At this moment the fuse stops there and its open on the back, so cooling air for the batteries can leave the fuse. When extending and keep the shape like it is, the outlet for cooling air will be to small.

Moving nacelle forward is also not possible, i think you will end up whit cg problems, to get it on THE spot it needs.

Like i said before. Placing the fin's is how you like it. It can be on top of the nacelle, or 2 but than legt and right of the nacelle. Or maybe on the wingtips
hehe, I feel your pain
You are close to a twin boom concept
Erik v. Schaik is offline Find More Posts by Erik v. Schaik
Old Aug 02, 2012, 03:23 PM
Holland
Joined Apr 2003
142 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik v. Schaik View Post
Hi Hoeby,
Mixing other designs is what I did with the Uriah-BU as well. Nobody incorperated the good details of several planes in one design. I like your new design but I doubt if the thrust angle is convenient to fly with. You can see my 1st proto (flying wing with fan placed low) was a handfull to launch. Unfortunately, The proto showed flying wings are pretty hard to control in cornering at high speeds (delta mixer needs a lot of elevator throw for reflex as well which reduces speed in corners and losing of considerable height after cornering)
For high speed planes i'd recommend a stab with a considerable distance from the wing like pylon racers/hotliners. you just need stability on the elevator control.
You may consider a V-tail but on my Miniwave I have not the comfort om the elevator as a normal stab config.

it's really nice to see you continues to refine the Uriah-BU concept. I've been struggling to redesign it myself because I have increased my wishlist to make it flutter proof. the current plane is fine tuned at approx 188mph/300kmh now which is pretty close to the 200mph barrier. With some additional re-engeneering of the fan drive system i think I could break this barrier pretty easy now with same power input but it would be nice to increase it to the 900-1100W range instead of the 550W it has now.

good luck and show us your thoughts!
I am getting where you are pointing at. The speed planes indeed have long fuse. Also i can place the info, that its close to twin boom design.
But at the moment i don't have picture in my head how it has to look like. Oh well, something to sleep about. Maybe after good night sleep, i know how it has to look like. Than only need to draw it in Acad.