HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 07, 2012, 07:07 PM
Carbon fiber is our friend
United States, CA, Lodi
Joined Feb 2001
4,230 Posts
Thanks, but I'm really just lazy

Sound analysis, or doppler works very well for EDF's, while the Voltron unit is known to be unreliable. I've seen numbers posted that don't make any sense and somebody here said they had two of them and one showed different speeds than the other.
Steve C is offline Find More Posts by Steve C
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 08, 2012, 09:29 AM
United States, NJ, Pompton Lakes
Joined Jan 2011
166 Posts
Good thing I didn't purchase the voltron. Ok then, I'm going to start my first 70mm speed contender. We are limiting to one fan correct?!
kingkyle is offline Find More Posts by kingkyle
Old Jul 08, 2012, 06:30 PM
Joined Jan 2011
166 Posts
Started carving my 70mm contender

Old Jul 08, 2012, 08:19 PM
F-OFF
Joined Mar 2007
1,057 Posts
Nice work dude!

I see a lipo sitting there, that must be your ariframe size calibration tool!
imyohero is offline Find More Posts by imyohero
Old Jul 09, 2012, 01:37 AM
United States, WA, Vancouver
Joined Mar 2012
740 Posts
hey Kyle,
just gonna take a wild guess here...you aint married are you...cause if my wife seen I made a mess in the house like that it would be curtains...

Joe
sloperjoe is online now Find More Posts by sloperjoe
Old Jul 09, 2012, 05:56 AM
Joined Jan 2011
166 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by imyohero View Post
Nice work dude!

I see a lipo sitting there, that must be your ariframe size calibration tool!
Yes sir! This fuse wont be much larger then that 5s 22000 sitting there. All business

Quote:
Originally Posted by sloperjoe View Post
hey Kyle,
just gonna take a wild guess here...you aint married are you...cause if my wife seen I made a mess in the house like that it would be curtains...

Joe
Nope! Not married and thats one reason, cant have a wife yelling at me for my hobbies. The RC hobby has taken over my theater room, office and spare bedroom lol
Old Jul 09, 2012, 12:21 PM
My project: FAIREY DELTA 1
Uden Volkel, Netherlands
Joined Dec 2003
4,976 Posts
That's a nice start!

here some pics for inspiration.

in italy there is a fibre version available of the Microjet

greets!
Erik
Erik v. Schaik is offline Find More Posts by Erik v. Schaik
Old Jul 09, 2012, 04:11 PM
Joined Jan 2011
166 Posts
Yup I'm making my own version of this popular airframe. But in Carbon fiber
Old Jul 09, 2012, 04:16 PM
Uden Volkel, Netherlands
Joined Dec 2003
4,976 Posts
Woah! I need those pills you have been taking today! No way i can build this fast!!

great!!
Old Jul 10, 2012, 10:03 AM
United States, CA, Lodi
Joined Feb 2001
4,230 Posts
Yeah, that was some quick carving!
Did you use any templates to shape the wing?
Old Jul 10, 2012, 02:08 PM
Joined Jan 2011
166 Posts
Hah... The carving and sanding only took 2 hours. No template used for the airfoil shape, I just do it by eye. I've had pretty good success with the shape I use. Pretty stable and slippery. I don't have the patience for vacuum bagging so I use the wet layup method on the cloth, it seems to come out really light weight and strong. Lots of trial and error to get it right.
Old Jul 10, 2012, 03:58 PM
Canada, ON, Mississauga
Joined Nov 2011
130 Posts
Kyle , we need a better way to measure speed , RC speedo had my modified phase 3 F16 at 206 MPH last weekend, but I don't believe it. I think the newer Voltron unit may be the way to go.I raced it a the Ottawa EDf event but it was was too quiet for their Doppler to read it. The numbers they were giving edfs that had known high speeds were low. What doppler system are you guys using?
Rocketboy1030 is offline Find More Posts by Rocketboy1030
Old Jul 10, 2012, 04:46 PM
Uden Volkel, Netherlands
Joined Dec 2003
4,976 Posts
You have to take into account the height as well. I live at sealevel and so was the doppler reading posted previous. In the mountens in Switzerland it was uncontrollable fast and had to abort the flight after the 1st dive. All other edf jets were performing much better as on previous meetings on lower grounds.

Those who live at higher ground may consider themself lucky
Old Jul 12, 2012, 04:56 PM
United States, CA, Lodi
Joined Feb 2001
4,230 Posts
I know this to be true as well, but in other speed contests, the guys at higher altitude say we have an advantage. (I also live near sea level) If this were true, submarines would go faster than airplanes and I'm pretty sure they don't!

I do know that amp draw will drop at higher altitude, so you may need to prop up or add another cell to get your watts back up.

Kyle, lots of homebuilt airplanes have been put together without a vacuum bag. Nothing wrong with that. If you want to block sand the final result no matter what, it can save time not using a vac and mylar, but it will be a little heavier. If you want to try a published airfoil in the future, you can make outside templates and just check the progress of your sanding at a couple spots. This sort of thing can help you reproduce the performance on the next one, even if it's just to reproduce a shape you came up with yourself.
Last edited by Steve C; Jul 12, 2012 at 05:07 PM.
Old Jul 13, 2012, 06:45 AM
Joined Jan 2011
166 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve C View Post
I know this to be true as well, but in other speed contests, the guys at higher altitude say we have an advantage. (I also live near sea level) If this were true, submarines would go faster than airplanes and I'm pretty sure they don't!

I do know that amp draw will drop at higher altitude, so you may need to prop up or add another cell to get your watts back up.

Kyle, lots of homebuilt airplanes have been put together without a vacuum bag. Nothing wrong with that. If you want to block sand the final result no matter what, it can save time not using a vac and mylar, but it will be a little heavier. If you want to try a published airfoil in the future, you can make outside templates and just check the progress of your sanding at a couple spots. This sort of thing can help you reproduce the performance on the next one, even if it's just to reproduce a shape you came up with yourself.

Yes I've been trying to figure out a way to sand down the rough spots and seams on my custom carbon fiber jets. I've tried sand paper and I get a strange result. It becomes dull and non carbon like. Is sanding fiberglass different then CF? I know the resin process is the same so I'm not sure why.

My next purchase will be a hot wire foam cutting setup. I'm sick of the mess carving makes. I could pop these things out in no time with a good airfoil template and a hotwire