SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Dec 02, 2012, 06:55 AM
USA
Joined Apr 2007
2,411 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvEvolution7 View Post
agreed. Delta's are cool, but they scrub too much darn speed to be in a speed contest. you need more brute power to get back the speed you scrub off. sure, they go like a bat outta hell in a straight line, but you gotta take too much real estate to build up the speed you lost in the turn to get there. small airframe with lots of power will win a speed contest. a DS-style airframe is what will win it.
WHAT THIS PHAZER http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1738125
space 1 is offline Find More Posts by space 1
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 02, 2012, 07:00 AM
Denmark
Joined Sep 2005
867 Posts
Claus and I will enter the contest with he's new super sling jet and my fan. I made a 70mm fan from a cut down CS90, this alloy me to use a lager motor meaning more power. The fan has been produced 3.6 kg at 3.5KW in a test stand, with a calculated airspeed of 519 km/h.

But it riped the plane apart when the power was increased, here is a small video.... http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...8&postcount=56
frank40 is offline Find More Posts by frank40
Old Dec 02, 2012, 10:43 AM
Lee Liddle
Carrollton, Tx
Joined Dec 2006
8,508 Posts
Guys, there is a parallel thread running in the EDF forum. It`s not exactly the same because it would include kits and arf airframes, but I think we should all get together and have a fun race. They are suggesting a 70mm limit so that it won`t get to be too much of a deep pocket race. Give it a read and give some input. Thanks, Lee

RACE THREAD
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...761266&page=10
Knife Liddle is online now Find More Posts by Knife Liddle
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 02, 2012, 04:09 PM
USA
Joined Apr 2007
2,411 Posts
cad ds

old stuff
Old Dec 03, 2012, 07:22 AM
USA
Joined Apr 2007
2,411 Posts
Ds

May work
Old Dec 03, 2012, 12:03 PM
My project: FAIREY DELTA 1
Uden Volkel, Netherlands
Joined Dec 2003
4,976 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knife Liddle View Post
Guys, there is a parallel thread running in the EDF forum. It`s not exactly the same because it would include kits and arf airframes, but I think we should all get together and have a fun race. They are suggesting a 70mm limit so that it won`t get to be too much of a deep pocket race. Give it a read and give some input. Thanks, Lee

RACE THREAD
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...761266&page=10
Nice link!
Just read the thread and have mixed feelings about the direction it's heading. I am certanly not interested in the contest debate we had many times before already. Not sure if high power systems are needed to get through the 200mph barrier. IMO high power setups do have a many downsides. I am a strong believer in refining a design, remove what isn't needed and find a way to cope with high speed issues in particular such as landing speed, flight time, high speed control and possible flutter and G-forges. None of these possible issues have been discussed in the ARF section of our forum
Erik v. Schaik is offline Find More Posts by Erik v. Schaik
Old Dec 03, 2012, 01:53 PM
Holland
Joined Apr 2003
145 Posts
That was also my thought. I am not looking to compete against other forum user.
It is a plane for me, whitout rules which are based on the contest which they are speaking about.

And just take it up to Erik's Uriah. Hard to beat i think.
Hoeby is offline Find More Posts by Hoeby
Old Dec 03, 2012, 04:20 PM
Uden Volkel, Netherlands
Joined Dec 2003
4,976 Posts
You have to see it fly in real life

The base design is very good as it is now but it needs some redesigning to cope with G-forces and flutter before it could cope with 1200-1400W. This power range is still reasonable for normal components, reasonable currents, flight time and wingload. This power range brings F5D planes into winner circles. IMO high speed prop planes are not as efficient as edf so edf should perform even better with less noise!

However, for very high speeds I am willing to unload the cells in thhe 45-60C range
Old Dec 06, 2012, 02:26 AM
Lee Liddle
Carrollton, Tx
Joined Dec 2006
8,508 Posts
What is a speed contest?

No offense is intended, guys, but look. There are two "speed contest" threads on page one in the Scratch Build EDF forum. I`ve scrolled through all of the pics of both threads and, to be honest, they look more like CAD drawing contests.

If you really want to build and fly a fast 70mm edf, come join the 2013 race. No, they won`t all be scratch built, but I`m pretty sure that most of them will be at least heavily modified.

The contest will be pretty well organized, but not overly rule heavy. That`s where I`ll be sharing my go fast 70mm`s this year. Hope to see some more scratch built entries in the race.
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 07, 2012, 02:10 PM
Uden Volkel, Netherlands
Joined Dec 2003
4,976 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knife Liddle View Post
No offense is intended, guys, but look. There are two "speed contest" threads on page one in the Scratch Build EDF forum. I`ve scrolled through all of the pics of both threads and, to be honest, they look more like CAD drawing contests.

If you really want to build and fly a fast 70mm edf, come join the 2013 race. No, they won`t all be scratch built, but I`m pretty sure that most of them will be at least heavily modified.

The contest will be pretty well organized, but not overly rule heavy. That`s where I`ll be sharing my go fast 70mm`s this year. Hope to see some more scratch built entries in the race.
Hey now, that's a lame post!
1st of all, rules do restrict creativity.
2nd, heavely modified ARF kits are not putting you in winners circles. history shows proof of that for over a decade not hitting 200+mph
3rd , CAD drawing brain farts is a way to show expressions and start a debate to get a platform suitable for 200+mph and is a possible start of next gen edf jets.

Guess you have no patience. I bet your high speed project is likely to break in flight. Who's the 3rd now
Old Dec 07, 2012, 04:18 PM
USA
Joined Apr 2007
2,411 Posts
way you call brain farts
Old Dec 07, 2012, 05:09 PM
Lee Liddle
Carrollton, Tx
Joined Dec 2006
8,508 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik v. Schaik View Post
Hey now, that's a lame post!
1st of all, rules do restrict creativity.
2nd, heavely modified ARF kits are not putting you in winners circles. history shows proof of that for over a decade not hitting 200+mph
3rd , CAD drawing brain farts is a way to show expressions and start a debate to get a platform suitable for 200+mph and is a possible start of next gen edf jets.

Guess you have no patience. I bet your high speed project is likely to break in flight. Who's the 3rd now
Well Eric, the thread is six months old, there are no rules, and the only plane to attempt a flight wasn't even close to being airworthy. If that's your idea of a contest, then have fun.
RCG Plus Member