HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Reply
Thread Tools
Old Jul 02, 2012, 06:09 PM
Registered User
Usta Bee's Avatar
Joined Jul 2004
3,773 Posts
.........
Usta Bee is online now Find More Posts by Usta Bee
Last edited by Usta Bee; Jul 03, 2012 at 12:52 AM.
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 02, 2012, 07:32 PM
LcJ
Forever TMWT Pilot #11
LcJ's Avatar
United States, LA, Monroe
Joined Mar 2003
5,865 Posts
Quote:
Hebrews 11:3
Through faith we understand that the worlds were framed by the word of God, so that things which are seen were not made of things which do appear.
If God is God, if the above is true, and if faith is of any importance, then I don't believe there will be a God particle as I for one believe it, all we know, is held together by the word of God and that alone.

If all of Creation isn't enough to believe in the power of God then a particle just wouldn't do it either.
LcJ is online now Find More Posts by LcJ
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: RC Logger's Eye One Xtreme Quad
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 02, 2012, 07:34 PM
Fly it like you stole it..
Tram's Avatar
Florence, Al
Joined Oct 2000
29,305 Posts
God is cool.
Tram is offline Find More Posts by Tram
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 02, 2012, 09:34 PM
Out of Time
United States, TX
Joined Jul 2003
1,092 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by billyd60 View Post
Well since no one knows what God looks like, perhaps proving the god particle exists is tantamount to proving God exists......
How silly; no it does not.

The unfortunate name of "God particle" comes from the notion that this particle "may" be the smallest known physical item that everything else is made up of.
Once proof of existence is made, there may in fact be some even smaller particle that could be posited to exist that could then be called the very same thing.

This is actually the Higgs-Bosen (sp?) particle which is the more proper name for it, and it has nothing at all to do with proving the existence of a deity.
Highflight is offline Find More Posts by Highflight
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 02, 2012, 11:23 PM
Suspended Account
Russian Federation, Sakha, Yakutsk
Joined May 2006
2,978 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LcJ View Post
If God is God, if the above is true, and if faith is of any importance, then I don't believe there will be a God particle as I for one believe it, all we know, is held together by the word of God and that alone.

If all of Creation isn't enough to believe in the power of God then a particle just wouldn't do it either.
Umm... Ground control to Major Tom, come in! Can you hear me Major Tom?!?!?!
FrogChief is offline Find More Posts by FrogChief
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Jul 02, 2012, 11:53 PM
Registered User
downunder's Avatar
Adelaide, South Australia
Joined Sep 2003
3,082 Posts
The reason for the hunt for the Higgs boson is that, in theory, it should exist. Also, in theory, it's thought to be what gives fermions (elementary particles of matter like quarks and electrons) their mass and is hoped to explain why they have the mass they have and no other. This is a very big question in particle physics and a mystery so far. Because it's such a mystery the Higgs was (jokingly) called the God Particle in the hope it would clear things up.

Essentially, the Higgs boson isn't so much a particle (although duality allows it much the same as a photon) as a force field which pervades all of space. It's thought that the Higgs field, in some way, resists a particle's movement and in doing so confers a mass to it. The resistance being different for each type of particle confers a different mass.

Another somewhat similar mystery is the exact equivalence of inertia to mass. Einstein was baffled by this and so it remains today.
downunder is online now Find More Posts by downunder
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 04, 2012, 04:29 PM
Chillin till SEFF
bildo baggins's Avatar
Warner Robins, GA
Joined Aug 2003
14,722 Posts
I walked in the room today and my just turned 15 daughter was discussing the God particle discovery. I am a little scared that she knows more about it and many other things than I do. I am also extremely proud of her.
bildo baggins is offline Find More Posts by bildo baggins
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 04, 2012, 06:47 PM
Registered User
texas
Joined Oct 2003
130 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrogChief View Post
Umm... Ground control to Major Tom, come in! Can you hear me Major Tom?!?!?!
He who has ears, let him hear....Lyle has no problem hearing and understanding God's Word.


Were God to merely relax His grasp on the universe every atom would come apart "by fire" (that is, by nuclear fire). God dynamically sustains the universe, including the atoms themselves. They are "stable" only because force from the spiritual realm is being supplied into the physical nuclear binding fields. Whatever we may think of God and physics, the Bible leaves us with no room to doubt that God does care about the sparrow that falls to the ground, the widow, the orphan, and the homeless. He does not lose track of His children and watches over them with infinite, patient, intimate Fatherly care. He sustains the universe by His mighty word of power. He also alters the status quo and, in response to prayer, frequently changes the course of entire nations.

http://www.ldolphin.org/cohere.shtml
steelfaith1 is offline Find More Posts by steelfaith1
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 04, 2012, 09:02 PM
Registered User
Joined Jan 2008
1,204 Posts
Wasn't it faster than light particles which turned out to be the result of a slightly loose connection?
Jim Thomerson is offline Find More Posts by Jim Thomerson
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 04, 2012, 09:09 PM
LcJ
Forever TMWT Pilot #11
LcJ's Avatar
United States, LA, Monroe
Joined Mar 2003
5,865 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by steelfaith1 View Post
He who has ears, let him hear....Lyle has no problem hearing and understanding God's Word.


Were God to merely relax His grasp on the universe every atom would come apart "by fire" (that is, by nuclear fire). God dynamically sustains the universe, including the atoms themselves. They are "stable" only because force from the spiritual realm is being supplied into the physical nuclear binding fields. Whatever we may think of God and physics, the Bible leaves us with no room to doubt that God does care about the sparrow that falls to the ground, the widow, the orphan, and the homeless. He does not lose track of His children and watches over them with infinite, patient, intimate Fatherly care. He sustains the universe by His mighty word of power. He also alters the status quo and, in response to prayer, frequently changes the course of entire nations.

http://www.ldolphin.org/cohere.shtml
Our job is to proclaim. After all:
Quote:
Romans 10:17
So then faith cometh by hearing, and hearing by the word of God.
It isn't ours to Judge, only to proclaim.

What I don't understand is the railing against something that doesn't exist. If I didn't believe God was, I certainly wouldn't be trying to give the message away.
LcJ is online now Find More Posts by LcJ
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: RC Logger's Eye One Xtreme Quad
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 04, 2012, 09:24 PM
Registered User
Wasaga Beach, Ontario
Joined Aug 2007
1,198 Posts
Funny thing is that the term "God particle" never in fact had any real religious background... it was actually a misquote by the media; in house the Higgs Bosun was referenced as "that goddamned particle". True story.

The more you know.

From the National Post:

kalnaren is offline Find More Posts by kalnaren
Last edited by kalnaren; Jul 04, 2012 at 09:31 PM.
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 04, 2012, 09:48 PM
HANDS UP! DON'T SHOOT!
rcposter's Avatar
United States, CA, SF
Joined Apr 2011
192 Posts
Ah. So it's actually the (see term used by actual scientists, clear as day towards bottom of image in post just before this one)* Particle. Not being either a Koran adherent nor a Koran burner myself, I'll just call it the Higgs boson particle.

*Funny! The RCG profanity filter wouldn't let me type the actual word as reported in the above article. But I understand. Best not invite a fatwa from the Boy Scouts of America (blessings and peace be upon them).

...


Edited as per request from moderators. Glad to see my fellow poster is on the ball and alerting the authorities. Never a wrong time for censorship, I always say.
rcposter is online now Find More Posts by rcposter
Last edited by rcposter; Jul 08, 2012 at 09:04 PM.
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 04, 2012, 09:58 PM
Senior Member
Houston
Joined May 2001
797 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kalnaren View Post
Funny thing is that the term "God particle" never in fact had any real religious background... it was actually a misquote by the media; in house the Higgs Bosun was referenced as "that goddamned particle". True story.

The more you know.

From the National Post:


Exactly.... "God particle" is a contraction!
lymon is offline Find More Posts by lymon
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 05, 2012, 12:09 PM
Registered User
Houston Ellington, Texas, United States
Joined Feb 2001
312 Posts
http://www.wimp.com/higgsboson/

a good explanation even I could understand.
logan5 is online now Find More Posts by logan5
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 07, 2012, 08:18 PM
Registered User
Joined Jan 2008
1,204 Posts
http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/...ed-in-america/

I followed this some at the time. Was it a reflection of our being willing to give up leadership in science? Was it that there were more needy causes to be funded at the time? I don't know. In considering the argument that the USA is supposed to do big things, what lesson does this teach us?
Jim Thomerson is offline Find More Posts by Jim Thomerson
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Discussion If you were the CD what would you do? GliderDriver45 Electric Competition Soaring-F5J/ALES/e-Soaring 53 Sep 29, 2012 10:02 AM
Discussion The God Particle PostHoleDigger Life, The Universe, and Politics 15 Mar 28, 2010 10:27 PM
Discussion What if you were forced to deny God? Kurpal Life, The Universe, and Politics 114 Feb 13, 2007 01:21 PM