HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 02, 2012, 05:20 AM
Köping, Sweden
Joined Apr 2006
24 Posts
Discussion
GP Spirit vs Sophisticated Lady

Hi there!
I have a GP Spirit sailplane which I think fly OK. I'm considering a T-stab glider and as I'm a balsa/ply freak I'd like to build one.

I think the Goldberg Sophisticated Lady is very beautiful, and should look wonderful in the sky, but compared to Spirit how does she fly?

I know about som minor issues about Spirit (it's the one without ailerons) and I have fixed some of them, are there similar with the Lady? For instance short distance beetween wing and stab/rudder, tip-stall tendency...

Anyone?

Best regards
discus-330 is offline Find More Posts by discus-330
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 02, 2012, 08:35 AM
the answer 42 is
Switzerland, AG, Lenzburg
Joined Jan 2006
1,904 Posts
Lady s all looks and its a keepers I flew the hell of of her and many friends learned to slope afterwords. The spirit is just mehh

my two cents

EZ
Dreaming to have another sophisticated lady
Edwinzea is online now Find More Posts by Edwinzea
Old Jul 02, 2012, 09:01 AM
founder of the SSP
Walkerton, Indiana
Joined Jul 2004
1,554 Posts
I've had both over the years. The S. Lady was the better of the two by far. Spoilers would be a good idea. Personally I always wanted to just add flaps or spoilers and scale it up to 3 meters. Then I realized one of the Skybench kits was a better and easier solution. However, to this day I still miss the Lady.
Steve Boone is offline Find More Posts by Steve Boone
Old Jul 02, 2012, 02:42 PM
Joined Apr 2005
419 Posts
The Sophisticated Lady kit was discontiuned by Great Planes after they took over the Goldberg line, but the last of the SL kits produced by Goldberg when they will still located in Oakwood, GA, were laser cut.
Noticed a SL laser cut 'factory sealed' kit sold on eBay earlier yesterday by a seller that had been listing Sophisticated Lady, Electra, and other Goldberg kits for some time and apparently must have bought out the remainder of the stock at Oakwood.
The Gentle Lady is a great floater (a friend's fav) and has 'out-thermaled' my Wanderer but have to agree with you that the Sophisticated Lady is definitely beautiful.
HIR/Cer is offline Find More Posts by HIR/Cer
Old Jul 02, 2012, 06:20 PM
Ninja Master
United States, CA, Thousand Oaks
Joined Feb 2007
1,771 Posts
The Sophisticated Lady is available as an ARF from Tower Hobbies/Great Planes for about $110.

I had one ( not an ARF) when I was a teenager, and it flew great. But the tail broke every time I landed. Seemed to be a weak point in the kit, but I built it when I was around 16, so maybe I just built it wrong. I don't know how strong the fuse is on the ARF version.
BigSwede is offline Find More Posts by BigSwede
Old Jul 03, 2012, 03:45 AM
Köping, Sweden
Joined Apr 2006
24 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigSwede View Post
The Sophisticated Lady is available as an ARF from Tower Hobbies/Great Planes for about $110.

I had one ( not an ARF) when I was a teenager, and it flew great. But the tail broke every time I landed. Seemed to be a weak point in the kit, but I built it when I was around 16, so maybe I just built it wrong. I don't know how strong the fuse is on the ARF version.
Hi!
Actually it was when I saw the Lady in TH:s webshop I got the idea.

I've seen in threads around that the tail obviously is a weak point, therefore I would prefer a kit in front of ARF, so I can reinforce the tail party.
Old Jul 03, 2012, 07:23 AM
founder of the SSP
Walkerton, Indiana
Joined Jul 2004
1,554 Posts
Winch launched with the radio off. Nothing left of the wings and the fuse was cracked in several spots. Notice the tail, still solid and it was built stock. The nose was buried in the ground. Man I miss the plane and flying at the turf farm. The wings looked good until you looked inside. It was basically a bag of splinters. Always wiggle before launching.
Old Jul 03, 2012, 09:47 PM
United States, MA, Waltham
Joined Dec 2001
7,132 Posts
I think t-tails are hard to make sturdy, and they add more stress to the fuselage. If you really must have a t-tail, consider making the fin with a bit of an airfoil* so it is stronger. Make the stab as light as you can except, of course, it has to be strong near the middle. I built a House of Balsa Two Tee, and the stab kept breaking off the fin. Sometimes the fuselage would break at the base of the fin, too.

IMHO, there's no real reason not to go with the GL unless you are really in love with the looks of the SL. If the SL flies anything like the GL, and I suspect it does, then you will find it somewhat slower and "floatier" than the Spirit, with much better handling. I suspect the SL may need more nose weight.

The nose on the SL seems very sharp. I suggest you sand the nose a bit so that it is somewhat rounded. You could be the next obstacle it hits!

Of course, I always suggest building something a little larger like the Olympic II, currently offered by Skybench. IMHO, the Oly II has better handling and stays up better than the GL, plus it's easier to see. I guess if you scaled up the GL, it might be comparable.

*suggest one of these:
http://www.charlesriverrc.org/articl...ilairfoils.htm
lincoln is offline Find More Posts by lincoln
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by lincoln; Jul 03, 2012 at 09:49 PM. Reason: added "than the Spirit" to clarify
Old Jul 04, 2012, 09:19 AM
Proud member of LISF and ESL
LI, New York, USA
Joined Mar 2003
24,549 Posts
www.skybench.com
www.mountainmodels.com
www.mmglidertech.com

All have nice balsa gliders if you want to take a look. T-Tails gliders have a special look to them but they make the tail very heavy or very fragile, so I don't really care for them from that point of view.
aeajr is online now Find More Posts by aeajr
Old Jul 04, 2012, 04:10 PM
Köping, Sweden
Joined Apr 2006
24 Posts
Thanks for all the comments.

I got a reply from a friend living in the town only 10 minutes drive from me.
He will lend me the plan in his SL kit (No, he won't sell it...)

So it's likely that I build one during next winter.

To avoid breaking a weak T-tail the best thingis to make fin/rudder and stabilizer as light as possible, use balsa ribs evntl with a spruce spar across, all glued with cyano.

And instead of a traditional wooden pushrod I will use plastic tube-in-tube simply because I can avoid a long weakening slot in the fuse side.

I made all that when I built a semi-scale Ogar, polish motor glider back in the early 1980:s

Anyway, thanks again for the tips, we'll see if I get started. as always there are lots of ideas tumbling around (Glow powered Tiger Moth, 3,2 metre Bergfalke, Sea-Bee for instance...)
Old Jul 05, 2012, 02:53 PM
soarin' dude
Buenos Aires
Joined Jun 2009
6 Posts
nothing left of the wings? dude, I just see a separated tip... maybe the photo is not that clear. I had several horrible crashes, and fixed it all to keep flying. Keep up!
sailplanator is offline Find More Posts by sailplanator
Old Jul 05, 2012, 10:22 PM
United States, MA, Waltham
Joined Dec 2001
7,132 Posts
Stabilizer needs to be as light as possible, fin needs to be strong. Or, at least, the further out you go, the more important light weight is and the less important strength is.
lincoln is offline Find More Posts by lincoln
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 06, 2012, 06:59 AM
Köping, Sweden
Joined Apr 2006
24 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lincoln View Post
Stabilizer needs to be as light as possible, fin needs to be strong. Or, at least, the further out you go, the more important light weight is and the less important strength is.
Yes, I totally agree with you. The fin should be planked with light balsa, say 1/32" and the rudder with ribs.

Btw, I'm 2 days late but Congratulations America och Your anniversary, is it 238 years since the "divorce" from England?

I whistled Your National Anthem on Wednesday (don't know the lyrics...)
Old Jul 06, 2012, 03:17 PM
AMA 353531
United States, CO, Colorado Springs
Joined Aug 2003
6,563 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by discus-330 View Post
Btw, I'm 2 days late but Congratulations America och Your anniversary, is it 238 years since the "divorce" from England?
Thanks! It's 236, actually, and 229 since our Constitutition was ratified by the states. The 7 years in between were a most interesting time...

I confess I know very little about the government and history of your country. You've inspired me to go do some reading today!
rdeis is online now Find More Posts by rdeis
Old Jul 06, 2012, 07:50 PM
founder of the SSP
Walkerton, Indiana
Joined Jul 2004
1,554 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailplanator View Post
nothing left of the wings? dude, I just see a separated tip... maybe the photo is not that clear. I had several horrible crashes, and fixed it all to keep flying. Keep up!
I said the same thing until I picked it up. I'm telling you, it was 1000's of little pieces in there. I normally fix everything. There really wasn't anything left worth fixing. The sad part was, the kit cost $17 dollars at TH when they were clearing them out. Wish I would have bought 10.