SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
This thread is privately moderated by cactus, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Jul 01, 2012, 10:53 PM
Joined Sep 2001
6,190 Posts
Build Log
CTH Deep Reaper XL

I started my Reaper XL build today. I started by taking some weights of the kit parts and foam prior to adding glue, covering or other equipment to compare later.

- Foam wing cores and blunt nose section weighed 206 grams
- Elevons weighed 24 grams
- Colorplast wing tips weighed 30 grams
- Everything else from the kit weighed 218 grams

I used a low temp hot glue gun to glue the blunt nose section to the wing halves. I made sure the halves remained flat on the workbench by using some duck tape and a few heavy items around the garage (The bottom of the wing is flat, so that helps). Following the directions, I used a soldering iron to open up the channels for the spars and installed them along with the metal sections and shock cord. My next step is the motor cut-out, but I am waiting for my motor and props to show up in a few days.

At this point in the build the wing weighs 315 grams with spars and metal joiners.
cactus is offline Find More Posts by cactus
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 01, 2012, 11:00 PM
Joined Sep 2001
6,190 Posts
Gear List

I will be using the following gear for this wing:
- Dragon Link Rx
- Turnigy MG930 Digital Metal Gear Servos
- NTM Prop Drive Series 35-30A 1400kv
- APC 9x6
- Hobbyking SS Series 40-50A ESC
- (2) 3s 4000 20C Zippy Flightmax

FPV Gear:
- SN555
- 260 pan servo
- RMRC 1280 800mw Vtx
- Cloverleaf
- Dragon OSD+ v2
- UBEC
Old Jul 05, 2012, 09:14 PM
Joined Sep 2001
6,190 Posts
The manual suggests a motor cut out 14 inches from the nose if you plan on having allot of FPV gear on the front. Most people use a GoPro, but I seem to be in the minority, so I opted to put my motor mount 13 inches back to help balance the cg without having to add dead nose weight later. I also installed the shock cord all around the edge and now I am waiting for the Scotch Extreme tape to come in.
Old Jul 28, 2012, 12:34 AM
Joined Sep 2001
6,190 Posts
I completed the build this evening. Going to do some power off test glides to dial in the CG and reflex. My AUW came in at 3 lbs 14.5oz ready to fly. I'll post some new photos tomorrow.
Old Jul 29, 2012, 09:38 PM
Joined Sep 2001
6,190 Posts
I ditched this project in frustration trying to get it launched by myself. Glide tests went fine but when I did power on tosses it was like it had no power to get on step and climb out. I am giving the cores to someone else that has more time play with it.

Update: Volto has the wing and is going to play with different motor/prop combos as he has more time to work on it than I do.
Last edited by cactus; Aug 03, 2012 at 08:32 AM.