HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 31, 2012, 07:20 PM
FPV Pilot
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Sep 2007
2,460 Posts
Holy crap the black tape on the naza side worked for me. I thought this was crazy lol. My altitude issues in yaw have disappeared.
blueprint is offline Find More Posts by blueprint
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 31, 2012, 07:28 PM
Joined Feb 2003
3,755 Posts
Well I am glad this thread has helped people out. I have 4 nazas now and they are all covered. I haven't experienced any further issues with altitude drops since covering them.
Xnaron is offline Find More Posts by Xnaron
Old Aug 31, 2012, 09:41 PM
United States, TX, Tomball
Joined Jan 2011
693 Posts
Can you just tape up the whole left side or do you have to be concerned about airflow into the naza's baro? I'm not sure where there is an air port in the case or not.
imagebuff is offline Find More Posts by imagebuff
Old Sep 01, 2012, 11:50 AM
FPV Pilot
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Sep 2007
2,460 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xnaron View Post
Well I am glad this thread has helped people out. I have 4 nazas now and they are all covered. I haven't experienced any further issues with altitude drops since covering them.
Thanks for the tip!
blueprint is offline Find More Posts by blueprint
Old Sep 02, 2012, 09:07 PM
Australia, QLD, Brisbane
Joined Oct 2011
154 Posts
Some months ago, I noticed that when covered, the naza keeps the altitude better, not only on yawing, but hovering either, but i thought it was because of the windy hitting the nazathat wasn't perfectly sealed, not the sun!
marcelog is offline Find More Posts by marcelog
Old Sep 02, 2012, 10:59 PM
Joined Mar 2009
254 Posts
Same issue here. I posted this problem today, so it's not all me. This is not a sun/ raidiant heat problem as it drops the same at 10PM as at 1
SCVJeff is offline Find More Posts by SCVJeff
Old Sep 03, 2012, 03:29 AM
pbw
arachnida
Belgium, Flanders, Antwerp
Joined Aug 2008
224 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xnaron View Post

My NAZA is now on a QAV500 frame and I sticked my Rx on the left side of the NAZA box. Flys great! Please send me some sunshine!
pbw is offline Find More Posts by pbw
Old Sep 03, 2012, 03:32 AM
pbw
arachnida
Belgium, Flanders, Antwerp
Joined Aug 2008
224 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by NinjaRobot View Post
Hi folks,

I am assuming that its not the sun light but more the heat changing the micro environment of the Naza unit and affecting what the Baro is detecting. does that sound right?

-NinjaRobot
Once more for the non believers, it is bright (sun)light that affects the baro, not heat! I assume heat will also have an effect on a baro, but not way as much as light.
pbw is offline Find More Posts by pbw
Old Sep 03, 2012, 05:35 PM
Joined Mar 2009
254 Posts
Well, I'll revise what I said... It happens the same at 10PM as it does at 1:00... WHEN I HAVE A 300w SPOT ON IT!!

Covered the left side of the FC and problem gone! in fact on a hard 100% R or L Yaw, it actually climbs a few inches.

Xnaron: How did you stumble across this?
SCVJeff is offline Find More Posts by SCVJeff
Old Sep 04, 2012, 04:26 PM
Don't drink and fly
Joined May 2012
646 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by imagebuff View Post
Can you just tape up the whole left side or do you have to be concerned about airflow into the naza's baro? I'm not sure where there is an air port in the case or not.
I have the entire top/sides taped up with electrical tape, with no ill effect.
Exploding Fist is offline Find More Posts by Exploding Fist
Old Sep 11, 2012, 08:52 AM
Money Shot
United States, CA, Lakeside
Joined Apr 2010
903 Posts
a closeup video of it happening

you can see the little white box in the middle of the frame on the bottom pate. the first 15 seconds was manual, then i yawed into the light, you see the box light up like a bulb and it falls like a rock
naza sun on the barometer bit (1 min 14 sec)

that's not me landing it,,,
Kloner is offline Find More Posts by Kloner
Old Sep 12, 2012, 05:25 AM
Joined Aug 2005
238 Posts
I have seen this and thought about another reason why this may be happening. The Naza does not have a vent hole. It relies on the fact that the case is not a sealed unit. Seems pretty much sealed to me, and thus temperature sensitive in the extreme. So I took it apart and found a good place to drill a very small hole on each side of the top case. Since I did this I have not had any problems.
dennyrowland@mac is offline Find More Posts by dennyrowland@mac
Last edited by dennyrowland@mac; Sep 12, 2012 at 05:32 AM.
Old Sep 12, 2012, 07:06 AM
United States, KY, Cold Spring
Joined Jul 2012
14 Posts
Is it possible street lights could give the same effect? I've been trying to trouble shoot a problem with my quad dropping in forward flight when the throttle is at 50%

I have been messing with gains, batteries, props, and still nothing has worked...I came across this post yesterday while searching the multirotor forums...I don't remember my quad specifically falling when yawing, it's mainly when im in forward flight.

Thanks!
brettskermetzger is offline Find More Posts by brettskermetzger
Old Sep 12, 2012, 09:10 AM
Joined Feb 2003
3,755 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dennyrowland@mac View Post
I have seen this and thought about another reason why this may be happening. The Naza does not have a vent hole. It relies on the fact that the case is not a sealed unit. Seems pretty much sealed to me, and thus temperature sensitive in the extreme. So I took it apart and found a good place to drill a very small hole on each side of the top case. Since I did this I have not had any problems.
In my opinion its not a good idea to drill extra holes in the case. Barometers are very sensitive to wind. The best solution is just to tape the left side with electrical tape.

It is a fact that barometer sensors are sensitive to light. Look at page 25 of this document http://www.bosch-sensortec.com/conte...5-DS000-05.pdf
This is a common pressure sensor used on may multirotor controller boards.
Xnaron is offline Find More Posts by Xnaron
Old Sep 12, 2012, 09:27 AM
United States, KY, Cold Spring
Joined Jul 2012
14 Posts
What about the LEDs that are inside of the naza case? Can those have an effect to?
brettskermetzger is offline Find More Posts by brettskermetzger