SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jul 01, 2012, 10:06 PM
Licensed Lunatic
United States, FL, Lake City
Joined Mar 2012
254 Posts
Discussion
charging 1s lipo that has a built in protection circuit

Not long after I built my first quad, my father took it upon himself to try and feed my RC addiction by buying me a cheap toy grade coaxial RC helicopter it was a nice gesture, and I flew it around for a while to show him that I did appreciate the gift (or at least tried to fly it... was a little difficult as it didn't even have a yaw gyro, lol), but because of it's difficult flying characteristics and not so great build quality, it didn't take long before it ended up in broken pieces.

Naturally I took it apart to see if there was anything of use in it, and at this point what I'm most interested in is the 1s 1000mah 15c lipo that's in it, that has a JST plug on it surprisingly! Upon further inspection, I've noticed that it has the small protection circuit board built in.

Would I have any issues charging this with my small EFlite 1s charger that comes with the Blade MQx? If it'll work, I'm going to try and use it with the MQx, since it's already equipped with the JST plug.

Worse comes to worse, I suppose I would desolder the tabs from the protection board and solder the wires right to them, but if I can get away without doing so that would be awesome.
iamsuperbleeder is offline Find More Posts by iamsuperbleeder
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 01, 2012, 10:35 PM
RC Helicopter Pilot
United States, CA, Westminster
Joined Mar 2010
1,696 Posts
Are you sure the circuit board is a protection board?
It is not just some place to solder all the connections to?

If it is protection, how does it protect? Against what?

Just run them.
If they charge and power one model I would think they will work in another.
TheWoodCrafter is offline Find More Posts by TheWoodCrafter
Old Jul 01, 2012, 11:38 PM
Licensed Lunatic
United States, FL, Lake City
Joined Mar 2012
254 Posts
I can only assume it's just a charge/discharge protection circuit. Upon further inspection of the control board of the heli, the charging port literally plugs directly into the leads going to the battery and it's protection board. More good news, the charging plugs are JST as well; male on the heli and female on the charger. So basically, the charger plugs right into the battery to charge it. I think I'll just be using the original charger intended for it to charge this one battery, at least to see if it works.
iamsuperbleeder is offline Find More Posts by iamsuperbleeder