HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 01, 2012, 08:31 PM
Joined Jan 2012
183 Posts
Discussion
Watcha guys think on my new super cub wheels. Thought n comments plz

Well awhile back I ditched the stock wheels and got a set of 3" wheels from the LHS and when I did that I put a stock front wheel on the back. And man this made a huge improvement. But still was hard to taxi in taller grass.
So today I was flying her when all of a sudden I see something black floating off the plane and to who knows where on the ground, all of a sudden the plane became harder to control. Brought her closer and to my horror it was one of the front wheels lol. So did what I could to land her but it wasn't pretty although no damage minus a cracked up nose cone. So this got me thinking now I have only one larger wheel, so what to do with it. Welp went to playing with the back landing gear rod to try to get more clearance, well it snapped lol. SO I removed it, took a metal coat hanger made the hole bigger and stuck it in place. After some bending and fabbing this is the end result. I may do the same wheels on the front or go larger, haven't decided yet. No flight yet due to not having front wheels. But I imagine she should do very well landing in grass, concrete may be bouncy not sure yet. Thoughts?

And yes my plane is beat to hell and back, but we have had some very good times and I'm still a very new pilot. I make mistakes trying to get daring sometimes it goes well others not so much hahahaha. Eventually I will buy a new fuselage as I imagine all the tape and epoxy is majorly weighing it down.

Picture with stock wheel in the rim haha

Pic with stock rear tire stock front tire(which was in the back) and 3" tire
on1wheel01 is offline Find More Posts by on1wheel01
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 01, 2012, 09:16 PM
Closed Account
Joined Aug 2007
4,497 Posts
Looks good!
eagle777 is offline Find More Posts by eagle777
Old Jul 02, 2012, 01:43 PM
United States, FL, The Villages
Joined Oct 2010
4,001 Posts

Does that plane fly?
What are you going to use for front wheels? AND, that coat hanger wire is going to bend so easily that you'll need to replace it very, very soon.

Don
dkrhardy is offline Find More Posts by dkrhardy
Old Jul 02, 2012, 01:56 PM
Yea, I fly dusty planes..
United States, LA, Angie
Joined Apr 2009
2,052 Posts
I did the same thing sorta with m S. Cub when I was reaquainting myself to flying again a couple years ago. I had a 1&1/2" wheel laying around so I replaced the button sized one on my Pawnee with it and boy does it make a difference even though it's not "scale" ( scale police on these things), but hey, it works ..Plus, it's a Big ass plane with 4" balloon tires on front stock. Dave/
zeezee is offline Find More Posts by zeezee
Old Jul 02, 2012, 02:45 PM
Beginner
Joined Mar 2012
11 Posts
and I thought my SC was beat to hell. Nice color scheme.
vermontah is offline Find More Posts by vermontah
Old Jul 02, 2012, 09:42 PM
Joined Jan 2012
183 Posts
Ok guys went n bought 2 more matching wheels. Let me tell you she landed like a champ. But alass she ia def too heavy with all the repairs that have been done. It's been acting up and today decided to purchase some new parts for her. So after I finish painting her I'll put everything together and have hopefully a newish plane Lol.

Old Jul 03, 2012, 06:09 AM
Old age is not for sissies
Dayton Intl, Ohio, United States
Joined Jan 2000
7,992 Posts
She just looks "experienced" to me

Azarr
Azarr is offline Find More Posts by Azarr
Old Jul 03, 2012, 07:51 AM
I feed my planes red bull
Joined Apr 2012
115 Posts
Dang, she's beat up. It could work, if it doesn't snap in half on landing! But the prop will be closer to the ground, so be careful with that
flightmaster909 is offline Find More Posts by flightmaster909
Old Jul 03, 2012, 08:56 AM
Fueled by Arabica Beans
United States, NY, Syracuse
Joined Oct 2008
4,038 Posts
It looks like it actually saw combat in World War II
ChillPhatCat is offline Find More Posts by ChillPhatCat
Old Jul 03, 2012, 12:07 PM
United States, FL, Lehigh Acres
Joined Aug 2011
861 Posts
lol the wheels look great it's reminds me of when people put 24 inch blinged out rims on an old crown vic. .
xrx1113 is offline Find More Posts by xrx1113
Old Jul 04, 2012, 04:43 PM
Joined Jan 2012
183 Posts
Well project is almost finished still need a few parts but will now have 2 flying super cubs. Figure keep the crap one for around my house flying, and the other for park and field flying. I pulled a ton of tape off the body and hopefully that may help things out.
I'm still deciding on colors, thinking of maybe a yellow added in like wing and nose/tail
Old Jul 04, 2012, 05:09 PM
United States, FL, The Villages
Joined Oct 2010
4,001 Posts
You sure do like green, huh?
Don
dkrhardy is offline Find More Posts by dkrhardy
Old Jul 04, 2012, 05:20 PM
Yea, I fly dusty planes..
United States, LA, Angie
Joined Apr 2009
2,052 Posts
Damn, you ruined a perfectly good fuselage . Well, at least it will be easy to find in the woods...being green ...
zeezee is offline Find More Posts by zeezee
Old Jul 04, 2012, 07:20 PM
Joined Jan 2012
183 Posts
Hahaha yea I do like green.

How is it ruined? I like the look of a painted plane better than white, and I let the plane get a good distance away so it is much easier to spot.
Almost finished with the restwent with neon yellow for the nose wing and tail. I like it so far
Old Jul 04, 2012, 08:05 PM
Joined Jan 2012
183 Posts
Ok guys here she is... Well most of her. I really like the look. I'm not big into the plain white and I def like to be different.
Pic doesn't do her justice looks amazing in person and bright as can be