HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 03, 2012, 04:09 PM
You win again gravity!
UK
Joined Jan 2010
1,226 Posts
You're right, it does, but it reduces the perceived distortion from the fish eye lens by doing so. The only true fix, as you say, is to change the lens itself.
SMorrisRC is online now Find More Posts by SMorrisRC
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 03, 2012, 04:13 PM
Joined Oct 2011
364 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erknie View Post
I am amazed the digital camera companies haven't been able to walk all over GoPro with better cheaper products. Perhaps they don't think the market segment is large enough.
Exactly, where is the Canon, Nikon, Samsung? unbelievable.
man1024 is offline Find More Posts by man1024
Old Jul 03, 2012, 06:11 PM
Australia, QLD, Brisbane
Joined Nov 2011
949 Posts
The new offerings from CamOne, JVC, and Sony, still haven't hit the right price point. They are all around the $300 range. I can't see any reason why we can't get one for around the $100 range. The electronics is cheap to make, which leaves the case and the lens as the main costs. When China decides to make something like this, I think the prices will plummet, currently the manufactures seem to be trying for high profit margin sales I would guess.
Erknie is offline Find More Posts by Erknie
Old Jul 03, 2012, 06:43 PM
USA, NY, New York
Joined Nov 2008
1,512 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pach View Post
I thought the Hero2 just cropped the image to reduce the viewing angle (which is not an optical FOV change), that was one of the bigger complaints, the real fix is a replacement lens which I think www.ragecams.com and other people sell.

GoPro Hero2 Wide 170, 127 and Narrow Comparison (1 min 46 sec)

And o, yes it is 11mp for real.
tushev is offline Find More Posts by tushev
Old Jul 03, 2012, 09:32 PM
United States, FL, Miami
Joined Jan 2012
194 Posts
I'm intrigued by the Sony. Looks like a great size for quads and the case might be able to dive deep.

I just got a hero2 for scuba though...the nice thing is that I can use it in my quad (once I get to flying my rusty frame) without the case and for scuba with their new non-blurry UW case.

One camera, two hobbies.

JVC will need an external case and I haven't seen how deep the sony can go. I need something that will handle 180'.

The hero2 seems to be the best for mounting on a quad though due to it's rectangular design. I guess you could lie the sony one flat and rotate the lens if it works like the contour, or mount on one of the sides, but then it's deeper than the hero2.
DaMaDo is offline Find More Posts by DaMaDo
Old Jul 04, 2012, 01:15 AM
Joined May 2005
128 Posts
CONTOUR HD:
I've been using the Contour HD for several years and personally I like it a lot better than the GoPro because it has a much better design. Funny that Sony's looks a lot like the Contour.

http://contour.com/

These start around $199.00 and is great for recording planes. I have a lot of videos posted on YouTube: F3F, MoM, DS'ing. Search for mikeseto to see the videos....

Good luck,

Mike
seto is offline Find More Posts by seto
Old Jul 04, 2012, 05:42 AM
Kyrkbymannen
Uppsala, Sweden
Joined Aug 2006
42 Posts
I have done great photage with my Blackvue DR-400G with GPS and burned in speed! )

check it out at
Blackvue DR 400G-HD mounted on an Easy Star II from Multiplex (6 min 10 sec)
kyrkbymannen is offline Find More Posts by kyrkbymannen
Old Jul 04, 2012, 06:58 AM
Joined Jun 2012
6 Posts
You may find of interest this comprehensive test of GoPro HD Hero 2, which includes an excellent comparison to the original Hero 1, as well as Contour+ and Drift HD170:
http://www.cameralabs.com/reviews/Go.../verdict.shtml

CamOne (mentioned here before - the smallest and the lightest) was not tested by the Camera Labs, however if you are curious here is an excellent split screen video comparing both. The cameras were mounted side by side on the same tripod platform and filmed the same scenes at the same time, thus the test is pretty valid:
CamOne INFINITY vs GoPro HD HERO2 image quality comparison (4 min 39 sec)
Ockham is offline Find More Posts by Ockham
Old Jul 04, 2012, 10:56 AM
Joined Jul 2006
77 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SMorrisRC View Post
That's simply because of the wide field of view, and will happen on any camera with the same wide angle. If you don't like it, just reduce the viewing angle......easily done on hd hero2.
You are absolutely correct, just reduce the angle from 270 deg to 90 deg, and you will have a 99% flat camera recording.
Birdog is offline Find More Posts by Birdog
Old Jul 04, 2012, 10:56 AM
Ego varius quis.
Wisconsin
Joined Nov 2003
1,923 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erknie View Post
The new offerings from CamOne, JVC, and Sony, still haven't hit the right price point. They are all around the $300 range. I can't see any reason why we can't get one for around the $100 range. The electronics is cheap to make, which leaves the case and the lens as the main costs. When China decides to make something like this, I think the prices will plummet, currently the manufactures seem to be trying for high profit margin sales I would guess.
The electronics are not cheap to make. The reason a GoPro or Sony works as well as it does is a combination of very expensive image sensort and DSP hardware. It's possible to produce a low-quality keychain-cam for $30, but high quality products cost.
Cheesehead is offline Find More Posts by Cheesehead
Old Jul 04, 2012, 11:50 AM
Romania, Dolj, Craiova
Joined Sep 2007
14,262 Posts
Are you kidding?
Absolutely THE SAME hardware is in $50 Chinese CAR DVRs. And, believe me, I know what I say... same video processor, same software inside, same sensor.
And the GoPro lens is at most average, there are $50 lenses that render an image you will be surprised to see.
renatoa is offline Find More Posts by renatoa
Last edited by renatoa; Jul 04, 2012 at 11:56 AM.
Old Jul 04, 2012, 12:29 PM View Post
RENATOA2
A moderator felt this post violated the following rule: Trolling (Obnoxious behavior). Show it to me anyway.
Old Jul 04, 2012, 12:33 PM
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Jul 2002
6,343 Posts
I work for a major Retail firm that sales GoPro cameras and accessories, and we cant keep them in stock. so even at the $299 price point they sale.
tallflyer is offline Find More Posts by tallflyer
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: New GoPro Hero3+ Black Edition
Old Jul 04, 2012, 01:20 PM
Love my Raven's!
United States, WA, Woodinville
Joined Mar 2007
8,044 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RENATOA2 View Post
Yadda yadda bla bla. The usual BS from this moron. "These guys know nothing and they overcharge you on everything". Get a life, idiot, and start making something instead of insulting those that do.
This guy, whomever he is, obviously just wants this userid banned quickly.
why do people create similar userid's just to stir up trouble?

everyone's entitled to an opinion, noone should call the other an idiot.

Yes GP's sell like hotcakes because of the slick marketing campaign that GP does. Everyone wants to be "like Mike"

For me, the Hero2 does what its suppose to do, but noone can say that GP doesn't nickle and dime you to death with the options.
having said that, the options are not crazy overpriced and they are options so you can buy them or not.

There are camera's out there that will outperform the gopro for most users, but like it or not, Go Pro is on top and everyone else is the competitor looking to knock them off the pedestal.

Perhaps this new Sony can outperform the GP Hero2, but if their price is significantly higher, they won't outsell GP.

$299 is the standard bearer. Much less if you know someone who works for a retailer that allows employee purchases..the Hero2 retailer cost is significantly lower than the MSRP.
cryhavoc38 is offline Find More Posts by cryhavoc38
Old Jul 04, 2012, 01:43 PM
kansas city
Joined Feb 2007
11,812 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ockham View Post
You may find of interest this comprehensive test of GoPro HD Hero 2, which includes an excellent comparison to the original Hero 1, as well as Contour+ and Drift HD170:
http://www.cameralabs.com/reviews/Go.../verdict.shtml

CamOne (mentioned here before - the smallest and the lightest) was not tested by the Camera Labs, however if you are curious here is an excellent split screen video comparing both. The cameras were mounted side by side on the same tripod platform and filmed the same scenes at the same time, thus the test is pretty valid:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4yxCKvPTnB4
The gopro looks to have better color and contrast, but if the camone is much cheaper it would be worth a look.
mhills51 is offline Find More Posts by mhills51
RCG Plus Member