HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 03, 2012, 08:22 AM
United States, FL, Orlando
Joined Oct 2008
25 Posts
It'll probably end up like all of the "iPhone or iPad killers". Always there in the background somewhere but rarely noticed.
Gixxy is offline Find More Posts by Gixxy
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 03, 2012, 09:01 AM
Joined Jun 2005
3,783 Posts
No rubber horizon is what it would take for me.

If they can't get rid of the idiotic bending horizon that the GoPro has, I won't buy this one, either.
Lancer31 is offline Find More Posts by Lancer31
Old Jul 03, 2012, 09:03 AM
USA, NY, New York
Joined Nov 2008
1,543 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pach View Post
Im getting the impression you really like GoPro's , not sure if you know, but there are half a dozen alternatives to a GoPro, like a replay 1080XD, Contour, Camone, etc..

And the upcoming JVC camera is going to have a screen and wifi built in for $349 and its waterproof/shockproof without having a case around it. And it can take 5mp stills at intervals. Including 1080p/30 and 720p/60 ,like every other high end action cam.

And most of the higher end multicopter setups I see in the AP section have Sony Nex's or various brands DLSRs, not GoPros..
Gero2 is 11mp, not even close! this one is more like the first Hero from 2009 but not $199. Contour+(plus) is only the one compatible but is $450
tushev is offline Find More Posts by tushev
Old Jul 03, 2012, 09:21 AM
kansas city
Joined Feb 2007
12,741 Posts
Looks more like they are going directly after the Contour. The camera that started it all. In fact I remember Gopro was loosing to contour at first and you could find the original gopro at costco with all the waterproof and mounts for under $100 about two or three years ago.
mhills51 is offline Find More Posts by mhills51
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 03, 2012, 09:44 AM
United States, FL, Miami
Joined Aug 2009
961 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tushev View Post
Gero2 is 11mp, not even close! this one is more like the first Hero from 2009 but not $199. Contour+(plus) is only the one compatible but is $450
11mp is really pure marketing, its the same sensor size as the old 5mp GoPro, most every photographers review of the camera has had the same complaint, noisy and grainy pictures... I can take sharper pictures with better detail on my 10mp Canon A640, than most newer 16mp+ point and shoot Cameras.

But I dont see how anyone as a consumer wouldnt welcome more competition and more choices to the market...
pach is offline Find More Posts by pach
Old Jul 03, 2012, 09:45 AM
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Jul 2002
6,366 Posts
Pach I do own a few GoPro Camera and love all the things that they do. My point is when other MFR's see a company kicking butt and taking names its funny how they copy,clone and try and play catch up. I have full sized Canon, camera a Digital SLR camera made by Canon a small point and shoot by Sony and Canon some others that I still use but GOPRO came out with a camera and the industry took notice. I love the name of this Post (SONY's NEW GOPRO Killer Coming Soon) that says enough about what I'm talking about.
tallflyer is offline Find More Posts by tallflyer
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: New GoPro Hero3+ Black Edition
Old Jul 03, 2012, 09:51 AM
kansas city
Joined Feb 2007
12,741 Posts
It' not that it's the profit they see. Look your buying a striped down camcorder with no viewfinder no screen and little controls for more money. The profit margin on these has to be out the roof.
mhills51 is offline Find More Posts by mhills51
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 03, 2012, 10:02 AM
Joined Dec 2009
1,473 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhills51 View Post
It' not that it's the profit they see. Look your buying a striped down camcorder with no viewfinder no screen and little controls for more money. The profit margin on these has to be out the roof.
Yup, Sony sells pretty good camcoders for the price of a GoPro (EUR 350 in Europe). The Hero2 is completely over-priced. But that will change very soon...
~>Miha<~ is offline Find More Posts by ~>Miha<~
Old Jul 03, 2012, 10:10 AM
USA, NY, New York
Joined Nov 2008
1,543 Posts
The original Gopro was not HD. Sensor size and resolution are different categories. However what I care is the video footage and I don't see any sample here. That 1080/ 60p statement sounds interesting.. is it for real.., or it is 60i (interpolated) only a gimmick?..
tushev is offline Find More Posts by tushev
Old Jul 03, 2012, 10:39 AM
Joined Jun 2012
6 Posts
"...its funny how they copy, clone and try and play catch up..." - not so. GoPro sold its first camera in 2004, and Mark Schulze was most likely the first person to use a camera attached to a helmet to film action shots in 1987 (see Ref. below). Many used the same concept on a smaller scale before Mark, thus even he modestly does not claim that he invented something or that everone later copied him.

Yes, GoPro is commercially successful, but it was not the first, and is not unique today. Let us not re-writte the history.

The competition at a $299 price point exists, and unless someone uses not technical criteria, there are alternative products from other companies.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GoPro
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Helmet_camera
http://business.transworld.net/46249...-nick-woodman/

Quote:
Originally Posted by tallflyer View Post
Pach I do own a few GoPro Camera and love all the things that they do. My point is when other MFR's see a company kicking butt and taking names its funny how they copy,clone and try and play catch up. I have full sized Canon, camera a Digital SLR camera made by Canon a small point and shoot by Sony and Canon some others that I still use but GOPRO came out with a camera and the industry took notice. I love the name of this Post (SONY's NEW GOPRO Killer Coming Soon) that says enough about what I'm talking about.
Ockham is offline Find More Posts by Ockham
Old Jul 03, 2012, 12:45 PM
Joined Sep 2005
1,053 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tallflyer View Post
GOPRO Has too much of the market right now sony and others just want in on the action. Sorry Sony....
Your statement not only shows a complete lack of insight -- it also makes no sense from a purported "market" viewpoint.

Think about it.
GoatZilla is offline Find More Posts by GoatZilla
Old Jul 03, 2012, 01:13 PM
crd
Always thinkering
United States, FL
Joined Nov 2006
1,255 Posts
I will wait for the GoPro hero 3, there is more accessories for it and quality is great.
crd is online now Find More Posts by crd
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 03, 2012, 01:40 PM
You win again gravity!
UK
Joined Jan 2010
1,256 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancer31 View Post
If they can't get rid of the idiotic bending horizon that the GoPro has, I won't buy this one, either.
That's simply because of the wide field of view, and will happen on any camera with the same wide angle. If you don't like it, just reduce the viewing angle......easily done on hd hero2.
SMorrisRC is offline Find More Posts by SMorrisRC
Old Jul 03, 2012, 02:27 PM
why am i here???????
United States, OR, Oregon City
Joined Mar 2009
714 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pach View Post
Im getting the impression you really like GoPro's , not sure if you know, but there are half a dozen alternatives to a GoPro, like a replay 1080XD, Contour, Camone, etc..

And the upcoming JVC camera is going to have a screen and wifi built in for $349 and its waterproof/shockproof without having a case around it. And it can take 5mp stills at intervals. Including 1080p/30 and 720p/60 ,like every other high end action cam.

And most of the higher end multicopter setups I see in the AP section have Sony Nex's or various brands DLSRs, not GoPros..
they would have those high end cameras on there for AP. a gopro isnt for ap but fpv and other reasons. noboby would use a gopro for ap that i know of. so why are you compairing a gopro to these high end cameras for ap when the gopro isnt used for AP.
traxxas13 is offline Find More Posts by traxxas13
Old Jul 03, 2012, 02:48 PM
United States, FL, Miami
Joined Aug 2009
961 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SMorrisRC View Post
That's simply because of the wide field of view, and will happen on any camera with the same wide angle. If you don't like it, just reduce the viewing angle......easily done on hd hero2.
I thought the Hero2 just cropped the image to reduce the viewing angle (which is not an optical FOV change), that was one of the bigger complaints, the real fix is a replacement lens which I think www.ragecams.com and other people sell.
pach is offline Find More Posts by pach