HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 02, 2012, 12:20 PM
Joined Feb 2012
504 Posts
Interesting camera , I often like Sony stuff. On the first page of this thread in the pictures posted of the camera and subsequent pictures I have now seen on engadget in the first ,second and fifth pictures there showing the camera outside of its case , how is the camera standing up by itself? It has a rounded bottom and appears as if it cannot stand up on its own. It appears that in these photos the camera is actually sitting atop an upside down 'quick-release' like mounting bracket with the sticky side up stuck actually to the camera, for the display of the camera.
I think it is interesting that the camera cannot stand on its own.
Steve34 is offline Find More Posts by Steve34
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 02, 2012, 12:37 PM
Joined Oct 2011
364 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowerz View Post
Will be interesting to see how they do, but the only Sony product i will ever own is the Playstation, their warranty helpdesk is awful and their products break far to quickly ( i had 3 PS2's).
Right now I have few SONY products, 4 yrs old camera, 2 yrs old camcorder, one 32'' 7 yrs old CRT TV and another 21'' inch 17 yrs old CRT TV, 12 yrs old VHS. everything WORKS perfectly. no complains.
man1024 is offline Find More Posts by man1024
Old Jul 02, 2012, 12:45 PM
Joined Mar 2012
165 Posts
This is a big win for everybody. It produces more competition which will bring more innovative products in the near future...and cheaper too! For a while GoPro had little competition and they weren't all that great. Now with the introduction of this new Sony GP will have to step up their game. I will definitely wait before I purchase a new GP.
wordupmag is offline Find More Posts by wordupmag
Old Jul 02, 2012, 12:53 PM
I think I'm inverted. Maybe.
United States, CA, Pacifica
Joined Apr 2012
1,507 Posts
I don't use either. The HoryzonHD system is worlds easier to mount, is much lighter, and output looks nearly identical to the GoPro*. Granted it can't take 1080p at 60fps, only 720p at that rate, but I'm not a hardcore photographer so I don't mind.

Not to mention it's $50 cheaper. The support isn't as great, but I find that it's a much more convenient system for RC, especially for pan-tilt mounts that the GoPro can get a bit bulky for.

*There's a bit more color saturation on the GoPro, which can be replicated with some easy video editing.
acetech09 is offline Find More Posts by acetech09
Last edited by acetech09; Jul 02, 2012 at 01:01 PM.
Old Jul 02, 2012, 12:57 PM
Off my horse
Joined Apr 2011
273 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by man1024 View Post
Right now I have few SONY products, 4 yrs old camera, 2 yrs old camcorder, one 32'' 7 yrs old CRT TV and another 21'' inch 17 yrs old CRT TV, 12 yrs old VHS. everything WORKS perfectly. no complains.
I have had
3 PlayStations: 2 broke, 1 the power supply got so hot it separated the processor off of the motherboard and I was able to fix with a heat gun, but then eventually the power supply cooked. One just died, couldn't ever figure out why. The 3rd is still going strong.. although its the latest generation. Good times..

3 Digital cameras: My first one I ever bought is still going strong. The newer 2 were total POS. One the optical sensor separated from the circuit board on day 92.. Had it repaired for a fee that was about half of a new camera. The other one the optics deteriorated over a year to the point where it was unusable.

A bunch of Sony music products.. all of them broke after about 3 years due to various component failures...

Sony's have become great disposable electronic products..
empire007 is offline Find More Posts by empire007
Old Jul 02, 2012, 02:46 PM
United States, AZ, Tucson
Joined Mar 2008
2,195 Posts
This looks about the same size as my $300 ContourGPS helmet camera that takes AWESOME 1080p 135deg FOV video plus it also has a GPS in it.

With the cell phone app, I can adjust the lens angle by looking at the live bluetooth stream on my phone.

http://contour.com/products/contour-gps

When you upload the video using the Contour software you can see your track, speed, and altitude on the satellite map. Pretty cool.

And if you do any kind of racing, you can get the dashboard software and make any OSD template you can think of with every kind of telemetry data imaginable.
http://www.dashware.net/

It fit perfectly wedged in between the top and bottom frame of my DJI F550.
jasper7821 is offline Find More Posts by jasper7821
Old Jul 02, 2012, 06:24 PM
Joined Sep 2005
989 Posts
I like the size and profile of the base unit.

However, I would have preferred that it have some level of waterproofing without the outer shell.

Should be doable considering the lack of features.

Specifically, the lack of a rotating lens, which leads to the derpy looking top-of-helmet mount.
GoatZilla is offline Find More Posts by GoatZilla
Old Jul 02, 2012, 09:04 PM
USA, NY, New York
Joined Nov 2008
1,517 Posts
Sony look more like Contour and will be above $400 I am sure, and lets see the video footage?! No one buys the look.
About that JVC product, just look on the spec. and price - dead before born.
tushev is offline Find More Posts by tushev
Old Jul 03, 2012, 12:01 AM
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Jul 2002
6,350 Posts
GOPRO Has too much of the market right now sony and others just want in on the action. Sorry Sony....
tallflyer is offline Find More Posts by tallflyer
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: New GoPro Hero3+ Black Edition
Old Jul 03, 2012, 12:30 AM
Australia, QLD, Brisbane
Joined Nov 2011
949 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tallflyer View Post
GOPRO Has too much of the market right now sony and others just want in on the action. Sorry Sony....
I am amazed the digital camera companies haven't been able to walk all over GoPro with better cheaper products. Perhaps they don't think the market segment is large enough.
Erknie is offline Find More Posts by Erknie
Old Jul 03, 2012, 02:28 AM
Joined Jul 2002
6,350 Posts
GoPro because of all its mounts and setups cant be touched they were like the little guy who no one took serious and then when they became big Now everyone wants to get in on the action, GoPro has tons of sports contacts and extreme sports people on there side and if Sony and anyone wants to try and get into this market they will have a tough time as GoPro is the market. and at a $299 price point to get a camera that can shoot 1080 p now with 10 frame per second burst mode,underwater housing,clamps and mounts for just about everything GoPro has it all now. they were just featured all over the XGames..and when a Show like Shark Week is using your product. you can say your in the big time.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 03, 2012, 02:55 AM
Joined Jun 2012
6 Posts
I am really surprised that you guys haven't noticed CamOne:
http://www.camonetec.com/

Quote:
GoPro because of all its mounts and setups cant be touched ...
Ockham is offline Find More Posts by Ockham
Old Jul 03, 2012, 03:19 AM
Joined Jul 2002
6,350 Posts
Bottom Line is you ask a person on the street have you heard of GoPro Camera or a CamOne who wins. CamOne as my friends over at GoPro say is another mans GoPro they are flattered that anyone would like to copy there idea. and that that..
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 03, 2012, 03:41 AM
Joined Jun 2012
6 Posts
GoPro is pretty good. Are other "copies of their idea"? My friend Mark Schulze loughs

Quote:
...GoPro they are flattered that anyone would like to copy there idea. and that that..
Ockham is offline Find More Posts by Ockham
Old Jul 03, 2012, 06:57 AM
United States, FL, Miami
Joined Aug 2009
956 Posts
Quote:
Im getting the impression you really like GoPro's , not sure if you know, but there are half a dozen alternatives to a GoPro, like a replay 1080XD, Contour, Camone, etc..

And the upcoming JVC camera is going to have a screen and wifi built in for $349 and its waterproof/shockproof without having a case around it. And it can take 5mp stills at intervals. Including 1080p/30 and 720p/60 ,like every other high end action cam.

And most of the higher end multicopter setups I see in the AP section have Sony Nex's or various brands DLSRs, not GoPros..
pach is offline Find More Posts by pach