HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 01, 2012, 05:50 PM
Lover of fine cheeses
United States, IN, Mauckport
Joined Jan 2012
141 Posts
Discussion
Possible parts for a 4 channel champ?

First of all, I didn't know what forum to post this in, soil (obviously) chose this one.

I was attempting repairs on a badly damaged umx extra 300 aileron when I got an idea. Next I pulled my old champ out of (metaphorical) mothballs. Popping open the fuse, I found that the reciever/escape unit is almost identical in both planes (other than the slots for ailerons on the extra). They are even the same size! Next, they both use the same prop, so the motors must be compatible. Simply put, it should be a simple matter to use the electronics from the extra to make the champ 4 channels, and maybe even kick the power up a notch. Killing the champ's dihedral should be child's play.
So tell me, fellow RC flyers, does this sound feasible? What hurdles might I encounter during this project? Keep in mind that I have nodded a Hz SC to 4 Chan...
Peace...
Lobe
Lobe_DethFaurt is offline Find More Posts by Lobe_DethFaurt
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 01, 2012, 06:01 PM
Power Wheels Guru
Southlake, TX
Joined Jan 2008
7,327 Posts
Flatten the wing, reinforce i with a strip of Carbon fiber.

Ailerons will likely result in a lot of adverse yaw, so you'll want to put differential into the TX to have the ailerons go up more than down.
UNGN is offline Find More Posts by UNGN
Old Jul 01, 2012, 07:01 PM
Lover of fine cheeses
Joined Jan 2012
141 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by UNGN View Post

Ailerons will likely result in a lot of adverse yaw, so you'll want to put differential into the TX to have the ailerons go up more than down.
Quote:

OK, I'm not familiar with yaw.
With the wing, one side has no dihedral due to a bad crash, so I thought I would do the same to the other side OR, I even thought about making it into a mid- or low-wing plane. Maybe make it with wing-width ailerons. Of course, this is all still at the planning stage. Any and all suggestions are welcome.
Thanks!
...Lobe
Old Jul 01, 2012, 07:59 PM
Power Wheels Guru
Southlake, TX
Joined Jan 2008
7,327 Posts
I made a low wing Champ with ailerons and flaps. It flew pretty good

Look for the Ag Champ in my Blog for details.
Old Jul 01, 2012, 11:58 PM
Lover of fine cheeses
Joined Jan 2012
141 Posts
Quote:
I made a low wing Champ with ailerons and flaps. It flew pretty good

Look for the Ag Champ in my Blog for details.
Hey, great champ mod! This is what I love about this hobby: nobody is stingy with their mod ideas.
This is kind of what I had in mind, but what are the acrobatic characteristics of your ag champ?
What about a mid wing champ? I know that it won't be 3d capable, but that's fine (would be cool to prop hang a champ tho ;-) ).
Old Jul 02, 2012, 12:27 PM
United States, LA, Houma
Joined Mar 2005
177 Posts
the wing is now straighter than pictures. slip and slides in for landings.
shawn pierce is offline Find More Posts by shawn pierce
Old Jul 02, 2012, 12:40 PM
ISP Supervisor
United States, AK, Fairbanks
Joined Jan 2006
722 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lobe_DethFaurt View Post
What about a mid wing champ? I know that it won't be 3d capable, but that's fine (would be cool to prop hang a champ tho ;-) ).
I have seen one of these! It was quite a while back, but the guy did a really good job making the Champ look like it was meant to be a mid wing. Wish I could find it...
makg is offline Find More Posts by makg
Old Jul 02, 2012, 12:53 PM
Lover of fine cheeses
Joined Jan 2012
141 Posts
@ Shawn pierce, what methods (other than cf) did you use to flatten the wings? that is amazingly flat!

@ makg, would love to see those pics.

I'm wondering if the wing length would need to be adjusted for a mid wing... anybody?

...lobe
Old Jul 02, 2012, 12:55 PM
Power Wheels Guru
Southlake, TX
Joined Jan 2008
7,327 Posts
If you mount the wing anywhere else on the Champ Fuse, just be sure the Leading Edge of the wing is about 1/4" higher than the trailing edge.

If you just lay it on the top of the lower fuselage, the wing won't have enough incidence and it will need up elevator to fly level.
Old Jul 02, 2012, 04:06 PM
Lover of fine cheeses
Joined Jan 2012
141 Posts
1/4 inch. got it. Next question: should the wings be in basically the same position as before, or should they be moved fore or aft?
Old Jul 03, 2012, 05:30 PM
United States, LA, Houma
Joined Mar 2005
177 Posts
tossed in oven 180 degress between two pans for around 20
Old Jul 03, 2012, 08:43 PM
Lover of fine cheeses
Joined Jan 2012
141 Posts
@ Shawn Pierce...

Thanks for the tip. I shall have to try that ASAP.

...Lobe
Old Jul 04, 2012, 04:29 PM
Lover of fine cheeses
Joined Jan 2012
141 Posts
Well, the wings are in the oven. Hey Shawn Pierce, did you let the wings cool down between the pans or did you take then out of the pans as soon as they were done baking?
peace...
Old Jul 05, 2012, 07:48 AM
United States, LA, Houma
Joined Mar 2005
177 Posts
let it cool in place. you could also use heat gun on it. gonna be doing another one but with smaller ailerons. gonna use stock marked ones.
Old Jul 05, 2012, 12:02 PM
Lover of fine cheeses
Joined Jan 2012
141 Posts
Well, my FrankenChamp mid-wing is finished, and I maidened it today. The flight was...eventful. This little plane is majorly under powered, and I can't seem to get the CG right. It is still running the stock motor. My question is this: will a larger battery help with the power issue? I have an E-Flite 1S 500mAh 12C that I was considering (from a mQx). Will this boost my available power, or am I going to have to replace the motor?
...lobe.