HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 13, 2012, 05:10 PM
Right Rudder
USA, FL, Orlando
Joined Nov 2010
9,205 Posts
PittSpecial is offline Find More Posts by PittSpecial
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by PittSpecial; Oct 13, 2012 at 11:20 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 13, 2012, 07:44 PM
What's 3D?
Australia, WA, Ellenbrook
Joined Feb 2008
3,316 Posts
You really ought to build something your self before making demands on those that are working on their own projects.

Craig
trumps is offline Find More Posts by trumps
Old Oct 14, 2012, 04:40 AM
What's 3D?
Joined Feb 2008
3,316 Posts
Have been quietly lurking, cool project bud! What is your estimated flying weight at this point of the build?

Cheers
Craig
Old Oct 23, 2012, 07:29 AM
United States, FL, Titusville
Joined Jan 2001
498 Posts
Got the wings mostly done....now have to figure out the attach fittings
Marked is offline Find More Posts by Marked
Old Oct 23, 2012, 07:46 AM
Joined Jan 2001
498 Posts
Here is the test wing panel..I have to make sure the C/G is correct,so I am moving the wing back a little. My work on the tail added 3/4 oz to the back of the plane,not helping the balance any

Having to figure out how to do the unconventional is taxing....1/4 of my build time or more is trying to work out problems. The wing has been challenging.

BTW...I have scratch built 60+ planes from plans,all balsa. That has helped a little,maybe my age is catching up. Should hve been done by now...or so I think...
Old Oct 23, 2012, 08:57 AM
Übung macht den Meister..
United States, OR, Fairview
Joined Jul 2006
3,000 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marked View Post
Here is the test wing panel..I have to make sure the C/G is correct,so I am moving the wing back a little. My work on the tail added 3/4 oz to the back of the plane,not helping the balance any

Having to figure out how to do the unconventional is taxing....1/4 of my build time or more is trying to work out problems. The wing has been challenging.

BTW...I have scratch built 60+ planes from plans,all balsa. That has helped a little,maybe my age is catching up. Should hve been done by now...or so I think...
But wouldn't it be boring otherwise?

James
Deuce is offline Find More Posts by Deuce
Old Oct 23, 2012, 09:04 AM
Joined Jan 2001
498 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by trumps View Post
Have been quietly lurking, cool project bud! What is your estimated flying weight at this point of the build?

Cheers
Craig
I weighed it,less wings, and it came out to 22oz with battery and all other things to make it fly. Wings will be about 13oz for the pair
Old Oct 24, 2012, 04:58 PM
Joined Jan 2001
498 Posts
The rear attach points are finally aligned and on the frame...still a little off,but not enough to cause any problems.

top view....looks like a plane finally.

I had to beef up the inboard wing rib,since it would be supported by the aft point all the time. Didnt think the balsa rib would take much abuse.

I went through several ways to do this,decided to sleeve the ends so I dont have to make 1 piece and drill both ends perfectly. .....When both sides are aligned,then I can solder the ends in place. Makes it easier to keep both wings at the same angle. Keep in mind,they are independent of each other,making the process a pain in the
Old Oct 24, 2012, 06:58 PM
What's 3D?
Joined Feb 2008
3,316 Posts
very nice work mate, love these design on the fly builds, they bring out the inventive spirit!

Cheers
Craig
Old Oct 24, 2012, 08:48 PM
Aircraft Part Separator
United States, IA, Tabor
Joined Aug 2003
1,425 Posts
I used to fly Ultralights,
T-Bird single seat, T-Bird TBT (tandem 2 seat), and a Quicksilver!
Always wanted an Airbike.
VERY COOL project!!!!!
Greg D is offline Find More Posts by Greg D
Old Oct 24, 2012, 11:13 PM
Joined Jan 2001
498 Posts
The Quicksilver weight shift was my first ultralight..taught myself how to fly it. Had that before I had a car...in 1982...
Old Oct 26, 2012, 06:13 PM
Joined Jan 2001
498 Posts
A long day of getting the struts and upper attach points done. Hurricane Sandy discouraged any flying

testing the upper fitting,used a brass tube inside the strut,slit and drilled to fit the wing fitting.

The lower fitting was a steel wire with a Z bend to the fuse frame. Used 5 layer ply sanded to fit inside the strut. The other end has a 90 bent into the wood and glued.

Fittings were tight and glued in place after everything was aligned. I then drilled and bolted each fitting with 2 screws. Dont think it will break easily..
Old Oct 26, 2012, 09:22 PM
Joined Jan 2001
498 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by trumps View Post

Cheers
Craig
I weighed everything it would need to fly,39oz 540 sq/in wing area...10.5 oz/sqft loading
Old Oct 26, 2012, 09:48 PM
What's 3D?
Joined Feb 2008
3,316 Posts
Very good, a floater at that wingloading, hope you can get enough weight forward so as to not need any ballast.

Cheers
Craig
Old Oct 26, 2012, 10:29 PM
Jungmeister 55
Orlando Herndon, Florida, United States
Joined Sep 2002
3,453 Posts
Mark,

I finally got to look at the thread...wow...it looks amazing!!

I really like the level of detail you're putting into it so far. It is a lot of work but well worth the effort at the end!!.

Gerry.
simano is offline Find More Posts by simano